Road rage - none
A word or two of warning to backroomers who might be inclined to indulge in a bit of horn blowing and gesticulating now and then.
On my way to work today, turning right from a major road into a minor one, I became aware of a car overtaking me during the manoeuvre. He was turning right as well, and decided to overtake me during the turn. I was a bit miffed, but he accelerated off and out of sight. A few hundred yards later I caught up with him at a bottleneck and gave him a piece of my mind - a quick toot and the proverbial finger. He got out of his car, I got out of mine, I was expecting a bit of arm waving and shouting but within seconds I was knocked to the ground and being kicked and punched. When he thought that I'd had enough, off he went.
The police were called, independent witness's came forward and statements taken. Traced by his number plate, it turns out that my attacker is 'known' to them, but that if he hasn't been convicted of a similar offence recently, and shows remorse for his attack on me, he's likely to get just a reprimand.
According to the PC who interviewed me at home, It seems that I should have reported his bad driving, and the police would then make a note of it.
Thinking back to the incident, good advice. You never know who you're getting involved with !

Road rage - nick62
If you had taken the PC's advice and reported it, I would bet my life that the poilce would have taken no further action whatsoever, this is borne out in the PC's words "...............the police would make a note of it", BIG DEAL.

I bet they would take some action if you had been on off duty PC.
Road rage - Chris S
Overtaking during a turn? Don't worry about him, he won't be around for much longer.
Road rage - nick62
Overtaking during a turn? Don't worry about him, he won't
be around for much longer.

Only problem is, he'll probably kill someone else in the process
Road rage - DP
I bet they would take some action if you had been
on off duty PC.

Or an MP.
Road rage - Lud
Or an MP.

Or Osama bin Laden or some other famous villain on the run...
Road rage - Big Bad Dave
It doesn't matter how big and daft you are, there's always someone bigger and dafter. And if it makes you feel better, sooner or later he's going to run into someone who will do the same thing to him.

Just let it go in future. So it stings a bit when someone cuts you up. So what? You soon forget. It's better than getting a good kicking.
Road rage - stevied
Wise words. And I speak as someone who as a very hot-tempered 22 year old was sparked out by a lorry driver.
Road rage - Big Bad Dave
Me too, many times. Win some lose some.

More than anything though I couldn't bare to have my two little kids see me take a kicking. Nor would I really want them to see me dish one out for that matter. Ugly behaviour.
Road rage - Mad Maxy
Reminds me of when I was a callow 17 year-old who'd just passed his test. Got tailgated one night so I pulled over, then followed the guy with my full beams on for a bit. Then the geezer pulled over and started following me. Short chase around the back streets of Ilford ensued until he cut me off when I was turning right at a T-junction. Threatened to knife me in the ensuing argument. Thankfully kept his shiv to himself.

Taught me a valuable lesson... Don't show your anger/irritation to fellow roadusers. In due course i taught myself not to get angry/irritated in the first place.
Road rage - glowplug
Can wait for the day when someone like that picks on someone who's tooled up...

Steve.
---
Xantia HDi.

Buy a Citroen and get to know the local GSF staff better...
Road rage - LexusBoy
Anyone remember Kenneth Noye....??
Road rage - Altea Ego
Anyone remember Kenneth Noye....??

Exactly, next time you feel a road rage boiling, just flick up a mental picture of 8< SNIP - Gory details removed - DD.

Its a quick cure.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Road rage - paulb {P}
Discussion of this subject always brings to mind something that Growler quoted his good lady as saying:

"Whatever his problem is, why do you want to be a part of it?"

I've not seen it summed up more neatly.
Road rage - Chicken Vindaloo

I wish to start a campaign to have this message stuck to the inside of all new and replacement windscreens.
Road rage - paulb {P}
I'd join - and would suggest an alternative (or perhaps additional) location on the steering wheel next to the horn button...

Until then there are always Dymo labels :-)
Council tip rage - henry k
Discussion of this subject always brings to mind something that Growler quoted his good lady as saying:
I've not seen it summed up more neatly.

>>

It is not just drivers on public roads !
For your information.

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/southern_counties/6188...m

This is ongoing so I guess no comments until it is resolved. - {As per henry k's request please. DD}
Road rage - Altea Ego
GORY DETAILS?

Its called artistic license.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Road rage - mss1tw
GORY DETAILS?

Seems you have endorsements. Do you know how fast you were going, Sir?

;o)
GORY DETAILS?

>>

Seems you have endorsements. Do you know how fast you were going, Sir?

;o)

Don't be so silly.

Do you know the background to the Kenneth Noye case? Young guy gets involved in a traffic incident on a slip road to the M25 with a gangster. He thinks he's hard enough to tell the "old person" in front that he has made a "mistake" with his driving. Trouble is, the "old person" is carrying a weapon and decides to use it.
Road rage - Altea Ego
Thats what my artisitc license said.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Road rage - Leif
A year or two ago in the Staines area, a colleague was tailed by someone, and got rather annoyed. At some stage both cars came to a halt for some reason, and he got out to ask what the problem was. He was beaten up. It turned out that the car was stolen and the occupants were a criminal gang.

Some years back in Slough I was tailgated particularly badly. I gave the driver a one finger salute. He then dropped a gear or two, and did a high speed overtake, followed by an emergency stop forcing me to a halt. He then got out to have a go at me. Needless to say I reversed as fast as I could. I learnt a valuable lesson.

It really is best not to use any form of rude gesture or language. Perhaps a short toot of the horn is okay to warn someone of your presence if there is a danger they will collide with you. Even then that can result on significant levels of aggression. The problem is that some people live on a hair trigger and are all too eager to have a go at someone. It's best to take the view that the sort of person who drives dangerously and/or aggressively is likely to be head strong and aggressive, and is best avoided. Why give them a reason to take out their pent up aggression on you? Let them drive off and have their accident elsewhere.

By all means report it to the police. They do take notice. An ex-copper recently told me that he reported a driver who nearly ran over two nuns on a zebra crossing. The police visited the driver, and he admitted the offence! I reported some very dangerous driving (overtaking on blind bend, driving on the wrong side of the road, going round a roundabout the wrong way into oncoming traffic) and was told that the vehicle had subsequently been involved in an accident. Of course some coppers are unprofessional morons and will make fun of you, or belittle you, but that is their problem, not yours. And you should then report them.

Leif
"It really is best not to use any form of rude gesture or language. Perhaps a short toot of the horn is okay to warn someone of your presence if there is a danger they will collide with you. Even then that can result on significant levels of aggression. The problem is that some people live on a hair trigger and are all too eager to have a go at someone. It's best to take the view that the sort of person who drives dangerously and/or aggressively is likely to be head strong and aggressive, and is best avoided. Why give them a reason to take out their pent up aggression on you? Let them drive off and have their accident elsewhere.
"

Wise words Leif. It's much better to lose the battle on the road, but win the war by returning home in one piece.
Road rage - teabelly
If you are going to make rude gestures at other drivers then don't get out of your car! If they go for you then you can drive off. Or run them over depending on whether you can be bothered to pack them up into your boot and find somewhere to dispose of them unseen :-)

Garfield said it neatly - there is no need to outrun anyone you can outwit. Leave them to discovering evolution on their own. Growlette had it summed up nicely too.

teabelly
Road rage - CGNorwich
Two nuns on a zebra crossing? - probably didn't spot them.
Road rage - Aprilia
Be nice if we had a bit of law enforcement.
I recently reported some very bad driving at a local police station and they 'made a note of it' (i.e. I suspect it went in the round filing cabinet).

This morning I got stuck on a local bypass due to a minor accident. Police car was parked behind the damaged car with its blue lights on and two coppers were standing alongside with their arms folded watching the traffic 'sort itself out' around the blockage. A little bit of assistance from them would have been much appreciated
Road rage - Manatee
Outrageous that when there are witnesses, so no evidence problem, there is unlikely to be a prosecution - you can't even get off a parking fine by showing remorse, but kick somebody in an unprovoked attack...
Road rage - Oz
SWMBO insists that the only way not to get involved is even to avoid eye contact.
Oz (as was)
Road rage - henry k
SWMBO insists that the only way not to get involved is even to avoid eye contact.

>>
Certainly it is a good starter.

I try to always lock the doors as soon as I get in before anything else.
I always try to leave enough space between me and the vehicle in front so I can exit iif required.
I think to myself that I will bash my way to a safe exit as bent metal is nothing compared to my skin. I have not yet had to resort to this tactic.

I have experienced serious road rage twice, the first was 20+ years ago so it is not new..
The most recent, a biker, never realised that if he had not eventually given up his aggressive tactics, when he did, he would have been splattered on the road.

I have had two other recent situations where the other driver was totally and utterly wrong yet I was the one to get the considerable verbal abuse / gestures and the other water thrown through my window ( which I had foolishly lowered). The lovely lady with the water actually drove her car deliberately at my car because she was so certain I was at fault.

Treat them all as if they could flip for no obvious reason and keep your distance.
Road rage - Enoughalready
It is strange how being in a car can change a person so much. It must be the protective shell it creates. Even a mild mannered person can change and become far more aggressive than normal but a slightly aggressive person and change to an animal once inside a car.
I recently approached a roundabout that I know very well and got into a correct approach lane with my chosen exit written on the tarmac. A car drew up next to me but once on the roundabout that car started hooting and I was given the finger by a middle aged woman. She was seething in my rear view mirror and had no idea that she was in the wrong lane. I just laughed. It was ridiculous.

If you look at the OP's situation and removed the vehicles you'd be left with a pedestrian situation and being typically British if you were 'cut up' the first thing you'd say is sorry even if it wasn't your fault. Add cars....
Road rage - andymc {P}
If you look at the OP's situation and removed the vehicles
you'd be left with a pedestrian situation and being typically British
if you were 'cut up' the first thing you'd say is
sorry even if it wasn't your fault. Add cars....

I see what you're saying. I think part of the reason people react much more "assertively" is because the potential outcome in a car is usually more serious. Bump into a person as you walk down the street and all that will happen is a bit of a jolt, or maybe a sore toe. Bump into a car and the cost of repairing even slight damage will run into hundreds, never mind thousands, the potential for long lasting injury is greater, etc - part of people's reaction must be based on "look what you nearly did to me". Not excusing anything, just thinking about the reason for the difference in behaviour.

I think I'm a reasonably assertive person in or out of the car without being aggressive, however on the odd occasion another road user would get a blast of the horn and a "shuffle" gesture if it was a particularly stupid manoeuvre (ie something that causes me to have to take sudden evasive action). Certainly would never think of intimidating somebody, driving at them, trying to have a shouting match at the next set of traffic lights etc.

I had a very near miss the other day when someone pulled out of a farm lane into the road right in front of me - just didn't check for oncoming traffic at all. I had to slam on the brakes and steer around on a wet surface, without hitting a lorry. Somehow I made it without any physical contact at all (very glad of the ABS), I was convinced that at the very least I would tear the nose off the other car and possibly end up spun around or even upside down. There wasn't time for hitting the horn or anything other than trying to minimise the expected impact, then I was already past the fool. Afterwards it occurred to me to go back and let off steam, maybe take the numberplate and report them, but just decided that I had things to get on with and it would only make the situation worse. They'll have learned their lesson anyway.
Made me shake though.
--
andymc
Vroom, vroom - mmm, doughnuts ...
Road rage - R75
It is always very difficult, I have calmed down alot since my youth!!! The last really bad argument was on the A34 where it crosses the M4 - before the bypass was finished - a van was in the wrong land and tried to force me over, as I was in 44t of artic and he ws in my blind spot it was never going to happen - as we got to the next set of lights both he and his passanger got out and came up to the door - as the door was locked I was not too bothered and they soon walked off when I held up the 4lb lump hammer I kept by the seat, that kind of calmed them down.
Road rage - Leif
I see what you're saying. I think part of the
reason people react much more "assertively" is because the potential outcome
in a car is usually more serious. Bump into a
person as you walk down the street and all that will
happen is a bit of a jolt, or maybe a sore
toe. Bump into a car and the cost of repairing
even slight damage will run into hundreds, never mind thousands, the
potential for long lasting injury is greater, etc - part of
people's reaction must be based on "look what you nearly did
to me". Not excusing anything, just thinking about the reason
for the difference in behaviour.

I think another aspect that plays a role is the speed and complexity of driving. Walking is easy, and if you stumble, it usually does not matter. Whereas if you make a mistake when driving, you can end up in a very nasty situation. Unfortunately a lot of people develop - or have never lost - bad habits whereby they put themselves in dangerous situations. They do not realise that it is their fault, and then they blame others when things turn unpleasant. The obvious case is tailgating, when the lead car brakes suddenly. Another common situation is one car being in the wrong lane, and then having a go at others cars that are apparently in his/her way.

Quite often I find that I move into the right lane, then enter a roundabout, only to find the car in the lane to my left is moving into my lane, and about to side swipe me. I also often find cars in the left lane, entering a roundabout, and then turning right, across my bows. Luton seems especially bad for ignorance of the Highway Code.

Unfortunately a poor command of the Highway Code by many road users (and occasional mistakes on my part) mean that defensive driving is essential.

Leif
Road rage - Mookfish
Unfortunately a poor command of the Highway Code by many
road users (and occasional mistakes on my part) mean that
defensive driving is essential.
Leif

Not just a poor command of the Highway Code, but a failure to obay simple common sense rules too simple to be included in the highway code.

For example, "Do not drive faster than the car in front when you have no intention of passing it." is one that's probably not written down anywhere but some drivers fail to understand and will drive 5 mph faster than the car in front, brake sharply then speed up again and repeat this over and over again.

And heres one that I saw last month in a car park. Someone who apparently needed to be told that when reversing you should look behind you! Hit another car that was already halfway out of the parking bay before he even started to reverse, the other car sounded its horn yet he kept going!
Road rage - f2
Back in the 80's I bought a small plastic switch from Toys R Us. There was a choice of 2 betweeno ne that was labelled "Machine Guns" and one that was labelled "Death Rays". Needless to say, they made the appropriate noises when you pressed the button. I superglued the Machine Guns switch onto the dashboard and used it liberally when cut up, sworn at, gesticulated at, etc.

It didn't solve any of the cretinous driving I came across (or on occassion committed) but it went a long way to releasing my own tension safely. No point having a heart attack over another moron's driving is there?
Road rage - Mookfish
f2,

I do the same thing, but as I haven't bought a toy I have to make my own sound effects whilst pressing the handbrake release. SWMBO used to do the same thing as a passenger, but pressing the dummy switch for some optional extras our old car didn't have.

A great way to releive the stress of inconsiderate drivers.
Road rage - colin-e
Regarding using the horn as a sign of disapproval.....

Confucious says "if you have time to use the horn, the situation is not serious enough to need to use it"

----------------------------------
Colin-E
----------------------------------
Road rage - bell boy
and never trust anybody with a Confucious beard ........it will get your goat..

i never blow the horn as you are just playing to them,i usually follow them for miles and make them do silly things ,unless they look bigger than me or it says tarmac tree fellas on the back.
Road rage - Lud
,i usually follow them for miles and make them do silly
things ,unless they look bigger than me or it says tarmac
tree fellas on the back.

I have often wondered since September what you do to make them do silly things om... Of course it couldn't possibly be anything like, er, setting a silly example, could it?

I am sure you wouldn't do anything like that. But every now and then, just as good driving by others can bring out the best in one, I have found myself being infected by the wall-to-wall prattery one so often finds oneself in the middle of in urban traffic. I don't mean aggression necessarily, just prattery, often involving what I call 'passive aggression'.

Does this happen to anyone else? It may be rare - usually one remains genially aloof in traffic - but it is unmistakable, and very unpleasant.
Road rage - Leif
Regarding using the horn as a sign of disapproval.....

Did anyone mention such a use of the horn? The horn is supposed to be used to warn other road users of your presence, as for example when a vehicle is moving into your lane despite your being there. Sadly these days it is all too often taken as a sign of aggression. The level of aggression that I get when using the horn, even a short toot, is astonishing. (Mouthed obscenities, hand gestures, continuous horn sounding, verbal threats to find where I live and do me in etc)
Road rage - none
I couldn't agree more about the inappropriate use of the horn. I use mine so little that I check it now and then just to make sure that it still works. To be honest, until this road rage incident, I can't remember the last time I used it whilst driving. I wish that the thing had conked out since my last test.

Road rage - Greg R
I think this type of thing is unbelievable.

Poor driving is becoming more and more of an issue for me and everyone I know. It is amazing especially when you drive through London...some boroughs have driving that is as bad as anything.

I think the problem is more to do with the lack of traffic cops on the road. Nobody is scared anymore of driving badly, too quickly etc.

When driving from London to Brighton, some Londoners have a bad attitute to driving that is apalling. I think too many people are too aggresive on the road, or just like to wind people up.

The government needs to put a bigger emphasis on this. Taking into account the stress caused by bad drivers (health, NHS etc), 10,000 deaths a year in the UK, etc, the government should at least give us a bigger presence of traffic cops on the roads. The fact motorways have only highway patrols, all I can see is that the roads will get worse!

Road rage - none
I'd like to add that since the event, a couple of months ago, the police haven't contacted me.
All I can assume is that my assailant showed genuine remorse and is now being supported by some sort of 'sympathy / help / naughty boy group'.

Road rage - Lud
Yeah, I was thinking that too, getting on for 30 a day. Surprising we metropolitan types don't get to witness more of them somehow...
Road rage - Lud
And going back to what they were saying in September, HJ, do you too use the horn sparingly?

One of the good things about typical British driving, modesty with the audible signal.

Of course in foreign parts where it's used in joyous and sometimes syncopated fashion that's pretty good too, if you aren't trying to sleep...
Road rage - Dalglish
further to henry k's post above:
[ >> Council tip rage - henry k Mon 27 Nov 06 18:24
It is not just drivers on public roads ! For your information.
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/southern_counties/6188726.stm
This is ongoing so I guess no comments until it is resolved. - {As per henry k's request please. DD} ]

another one from just a few days ago:

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/6179686.stm

that resulted in a death plus other people badly injured. it too is "sub-judice" and so this same comment applies:
"[This is ongoing so I guess no comments until it is resolved. - {As per henry k's request please. DD} ] "

Road rage - peterb
Living in London, I can't help but feel that congestion is a big part of this. It's easier to chill on a fast empty road.
Road rage - Death @ Council tip - Falkirk Bairn
Road Rage or rather Tip Rage

Court case in today's paper wher a man in his 70's had a confrontation at a council tip with a younger man - re "Queue Jumping" -

Upset is the younger man suffered a broken arm - dies during surgery and the older man is up on manslaughter.

Angry as you can get at losing your place in the queue the above is a salutary lesson that you count to 10 and let things go.

No amount of Road rage is that important or your principles that high that they must be defended at all cost..
Road rage - Death @ Council tip - Micky
">confrontation at a council tip<"

Proof - if proof were needed - that recycling is dangerous and should be avoided at all costs.
Road rage - Death @ Council tip - Dalglish
Court case in today's paper wher a man in his 70's had a confrontation at a council tip

as already posted by henry k, and commented by me above:

Council tip rage - henry k Mon 27 Nov 06 18:24
" It is not just drivers on public roads ! For your information. news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/southern_counties/6188726.stm "

Road rage - Death @ Council tip - type's'

That is the best thing I have heard in a long time.

Sorry to hear your news none - it could have happened to anyone so just forget it as one of those things that is part of life's rich tapestry.

I believe I have become much more tolerant of idiots on the road since reading a similar thread on here where a number of BRers gave tips for calming yourself down and not getting involved - I will try and find it. It was a very good thread.

Road rage - Death @ Council tip - GroovyMucker
None - I think he should be getting more than a caution on the assault you describe. Kicking while on the ground merits Assault Occasioning Actual Bodily Harm in my book (unless you had no injuries). And "road rage" incidents are generally beyond the Magistrates' powers of sentencing.
Road rage - Death @ Council tip - none
Groovymucker,
The PC who dealt with the incident, and visited me at home, told me the the attack would probably merit a caution.
He took photo's of my injuries, ie bloodstained face and cuts to my somewhat bald head. These injuries were superficial with no permanent damage. I discovered later that I had bruises on various bits of my body, and I ached so much that I had to take four days off work. The PC did suggest that I go to my doctor for treatment and authorise access by the police to my recent medical history, in case of a prosecution. He also suggested that the victim support organisation might be of some help.
I didn't go to the doctor, and I didn't contact victim support.
To be honest, although the PC was sympathetic, his general theme was sort of 'Ah well, you won't get involved again, will you'.
Another case sorted out, good for the performance figures eh.
Road rage - Death @ Council tip - GroovyMucker
I think the officer should have taken it more seriously than you believe he did. It's possible that he is doing something, but not letting on. But if you have independent witnesses as well as your own evidence, and this was a serious assault (I think the fact that you were kicked on the ground could take it beyond common assault), then unless there are really exceptional circumstances, it shouldn't simply be cautioned. Maybe you provoked him, but the response was wholly disproportionate and - as someone said above - what if he picks on the bloke with the weak heart next?

Glad you're taking it so phlegmatically, though.
Road rage - Death @ Council tip - Leif
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it is probably a duck.

If someone drives like a nutter ... best to stay clear. As someone has said, think Kenneth Noye (a double murderer).

Regarding the attack on a forum member, I think the PC should have pursued it further. But he probably reckons that if it went to court the outcome would be a verbal caution due to being provoked. Just an uneducated guess.

Leif
Road rage - Death @ Council tip - bedfordrl
Years ago we had a Renault Fuego for a short while and ,until i tightedned the gear linkages, had what was at best could be called an orbital gearbox.
Coming home one night with the missus driving we were tailgated by a car on high beam.
The missus got increasingly ratty and when said car overtook she switched on high beam ,dropped a cog and overtook them, just as we drew level and i came eyeball to eyeball with four enormous blokes she lost the gears, we still had momentum and we coasted along side them glaring and me sweating.
Luckily our slip appeared and she backed off, found a gear and we retreated.

I promise it is not a regular occurance but another time another car did the same when we were returning home from a meal at the in-laws, this time it was flashing its lights as well as tailgating.
Broom !! it overtook !! Vroom the missus booted it and Christ !! the car in front stopped dead and we screeched up to the boot of the offending car.
When i had regained vocal and bladder control i recognised the car, it was my brother in laws car, the mother in law had found the wifes handbag and was trying to give it back.
I will not lower myself to make any derrogratory comment about their driving,,,,she's watching...