Mondeo 2l auto box problem ? - disco dave
mondeo 2l auto. driving along as normal no problems. stopped for a cup of tea got back in car but it willnot come out of park. any ideas please. engine starts as normal battery fuly charged
auto box problem ? - Aprilia
Faulty P interlock. Probably electrical (pedal switch, fuse, wiring, solenoid etc need to be checked).
auto box problem ? - 659FBE
The engine starts, so not solenoid disable. Check the bowden cable from the ignition switch to the gear selector - this controls the mechanical interlock which prevents the car being knocked out of "park" when the key is removed. The cable is probably adrift, broken or out of adjustment.

auto box problem ? - disco dave
thanks for the info any ideas where i can get any diagrams of these parts.the hynes book shows you nothing
Sorry, can't help with Ford data, but I've seen this problem on a VW. Remove all the trim around the gear lever, and the interlock should be easily identified with its cable. You might well be able to defeat the interlock manually in order to get the vehicle running. If the cable inner moves when you insert and turn the key, the lock end may well be OK. On the VW, the cable was adrift at the gear selector - very poor detail here.

Best of luck.

to 659 thanks that gives that gives me where to look and what for. good info.
auto box problem ? - henry k
Very quick reply.
IIRC there is a small hole on the passenger side of the centre console, in line with the quadrant lever, at carpet level.
A thin rod, ( bit of metal coat hanger) poked in there is supposed to relase things for moving the car in an emergency.

Will look up details later.
I am fairly new to the Mondeo auto and have never used this feature.
Bit of misunderstanding above, I think.

I was not referring to the starter solenoid, rather the brake/shift interlock solenoid. I am assuming that this is a later Mondeo where there is a brake/shift interlock (i.e. lever can't be moved out of P without pressing the brake pedal) - that is the system I am talking about. Nothing to do with the starter circuit.
I see the scope for confusion - solenoid is a general term for an electromagnet that can do various jobs! As far as I'm aware, recent autoboxes have either the solenoid you describe (ie lever interlocked to brake pedal) or the mechanical interlock I described (lever interlocked to ignition key). It will be interesting to see which one it has, and what was wrong with it.

auto box problem ? - elekie&a/c doctor
do the indicators work?
sorry not to have replied .have been on holiday with your help.it was brake shift interlock solenoid i removed it have tested it and it works. so it must be electrical works ok without it
sorry not to have replied .have been on holiday with your
help.it was brake shift interlock solenoid i removed it have tested
it and it works. so it must be
electrical works ok without it

Good. Glad to be of assistance. I suspect you'll find that this is operated via the brake switch and possibly a relay. So check those out next + wiring. Its a safety feature so really its best to get it working again.