Buying a car without the added extras - bigsuzy
Hello,
I am thinking of buying a yaris or a aygo ( cant decided).
The Yaris I have seen is the basic model and so doesn?t have central locking, electric windows or a cd player.
However the car I have at the moment ( a Y reg punto elx) has the central locking, electric windows and a cd player.
Do you think I will miss the electric windows etc ? Has anyone experienced this ?
To be honest I?m not really into cars that much, but just asking because I don?t want to buy it and then wish I hadn?t

thanks
Buying a car without the added extras - Happy Blue!
There are alwasy two schools of thought on this matter. Buy a medium car with a reasonable level of spec or a larger car with a basic spec. The difference tends to be in the residuals.

Ford are now known for providing one model which is the 'value' spec i.e. it has most of the goodies most people want, and price it well, so unless you want the 'extra' extras or the poverty spec model you buy an LX say.

My preference is to buy a car with some extras for convenience, but each model can be different and you might find that a poverty spec Yaris will hold its value better than the higher spec Aygo.
Buying a car without the added extras - Bill Payer
It's obviously a personal thing - only you can decide.

I can't remember when I last opened a window, and I've literally never used my CD multi-changer (I don't even know if it works). However not having *remote* central locking would seem absurd to me. I nearly bought a Polo for my daughter a couple of yrs ago and couldn't believe that you have to go to the £10K+ SE model to get remote locking. So bought an Ibiza instead - same car really, and it's standard even on the lower level models.
Buying a car without the added extras - Gromit {P}
What features you'll miss depends on what use you actually make of them. IMHO:

Central locking: Yes, I'd miss it. Especially if I went from remote locking to no central lock at all.
Electric windows: Yes, if I had one-shot windows. No, if they were "hold the button down until the window is closed" as on my Punto SX.
CD player: No, I listen to the radio most and don't carry CDs from car to car anyway. I would consider a CD player less useful than an MP3 player in a new car, anyway.

That's based on alternating between my Punto (electric windows, tape deck, central locking), SWMBOs old Cavalier (manual windows, CD, central locking) and SWMBOs current Scenic (one-shot windows, CD, remote locking).

However, if you intend to sell the car on, the next buyer will want all three, and I'd expect you'd find the car harder to sell than one with these features. In this respect, the Aygo might fit the bill better because there are only two (I think) spec levels, so there'll be less difference between your car and others on the market at sale time.
Buying a car without the added extras - Altea Ego
Based on the assumption that you are a girl, I would suggest thus

1/ Electric windows, - personal choice only you can make
2/ CD player - as above
3/ Remote central locking.
NOw this I feel, for a girl, is a safety feature or a secure feeling of mind feature. It allows you to unlock the car from the distant safety of a streetlight, without fumbling around in your purse near the car if it parked in a dark corner.

------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Buying a car without the added extras - Bill Payer
3/ Remote central locking.
NOw this I feel, for a girl, is a safety feature
or a secure feeling of mind feature. It allows you to
unlock the car from the distant safety of a streetlight, without
fumbling around in your purse near the car if it parked
in a dark corner.

That was my thought too - it also turns on the interior so she can see if anybody is hiding in the back seat. Don't know if this has ever happened, but you see it in films all the time!
Buying a car without the added extras - bignick
And allows instant locking of all doors when you are inside the vehicle - which could be a lifesaver.

re the Aygo - isnt this identical to the Citroen C1 but more expensive? Maybe you could get the top spec Citroen for the same price as the low spec Toyota.
Buying a car without the added extras - jacks
Good points about the security of central locking from both entering and locking once inside.

to build on this my wife's car (MINI) is able to have the central locking programmed (by the dealer) so that one press of the "open" button unlocks ONLY the drivers door.............stops anyone (mugger ?) trying to gain entry via the passenger door whilst she in getting in on the other side . The doors then automatically lock - but unlock in the event of a crash.

Two presses of the unlock button unlock all doors and tailgate for those times when one is accompanied by passengers.

Interestingly I found about this useful tip from a USA MINI website when researching details of the car prior to ordering. When we collected the car we asked for this facility to be programmed in and the dealer claimed to know nothing about it, and said that no one had ever asked for this before - but after checking they were able to do this quite easily.

The option may be available on other makes of car and is very useful and - as stated - could be a lifesaver.

Jacks
Buying a car without the added extras - stunorthants
The main advantages to a simpler car is that if you intend to keep that car a long while, then you save on electrical repairs as electric windows and central locking do often break on most mainstream cars at some point and are never economical to repair in my experience.

Electric windows id say are not required, but central locking is useful on a car with more than 3 doors as its quite hard to get to all the door locks on some cars from the drivers seat.

A CD player is useful if you listen to music in the car and own CDs - if not then you dont need one. If you do, you can get one put into just about any car, so I wouldnt really consider it in a buying decision.

I now own a car without power steering, central locking, ABS, electric windows or airbags and the radio doesnt work. I owned a Jaguar before that and I dont really miss the toys, it really depends whats important to you.
Buying a car without the added extras - roy38
>>Now this I feel, for a girl, is a safety feature or a secure feeling of mind feature

A girl?
----
roy38
----
Buying a car without the added extras - Stuartli
>>may be available on other makes of car>>

Certainly is on my VW Bora and, IIRC, one of my offspring's Focus TDCI The Bora also locks itself again if one of the front doors isn't opened within 30 seconds or so.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Buying a car without the added extras - jase1
Surely a lot depends on whether the OP is buying new or used? (Seems to be new but I'm not sure).

If buying second-hand, poverty-spec small cars are not necessarily a big deal. You can fit third-party remote central locking, and a CD player with MP3 etc, for about £100-150 all-in. No great headache.

And if it's a small car, then windy-up windows are no problem -- you can easily reach both sides from the driver's seat.

I'm actually quite surprised that in 2006 there are still cars with no electric pack. Have the Korean cars spoilt me here?
Buying a car without the added extras - steveo3002
you could pick up a aftermarket remote locking kit and cd player from ebay for sensible money

personaly i could live with wind up windows , but ive gota have remote central locking
Buying a car without the added extras - storme
u will miss it all

and who wants to buy it from you at a later date when they could get another one with ALL the toys..

i made that mistake once with a golf...couldnt wait for the model i wanted so i took what was available..BIG mistake...i found it very hard to part ex it...
--
www.storme.co.uk
Buying a car without the added extras - Group B
u will miss it all

I missed it too. Years ago I went from a Pug 405 with electric everything, to a Golf with wind-up windows and key operated central locking. Only small things but I occasionally found it inconvenient; used to tell myself not to be lazy, but also thought to myself "why have I taken a backward step with this 'new' car?".

But then I'm a bit of a car nut; if you're not really into cars then it might not bother you as much?

Rich.