Too much engine oil - harmful? - psi
Had my 2.0l / '99Focus' oil changed at a "rapid fit" place. checked the oil it is over the max mark on the dipstick by about 4mm, will this cause any damage, i need to travel about 25 miles to get back to the "rapid fit" place to get it drained will this do any harm?

cheers
Too much engine oil - harmful? - Armitage Shanks {p}
4mm should not matter IMHO; you might be worried if it was a diesel. The gap between Max and Min on a dipstick is usually 1 litre. Look in your handbook and see if this is the case and then measurew how many mms there are between these 2 marks. It is 40, for example, you are 100cc overfilled which really should not matter!
Too much engine oil - harmful? - psi
thank you for the help, appreciate it
cheers
Too much engine oil - harmful? - piston power
it will be fine besides your's will burn a little so don't worry.
Too much engine oil - harmful? - Roger Jones
Only to add that the gap between max and min on the dipsticks of my cars is two litres.

Excess oil is a problem in general terms, but 4mm shouldn't do damage.
Too much engine oil - harmful? - Chris S
NB On smaller cars the gap between max and min is usually about 1 pint or 0.5 litres.
Too much engine oil - harmful? - Dynamic Dave
NB On smaller cars the gap between max and min is usually about 1 pint or 0.5 litres.

Not always the case. With Vauxhall it's generally 1 litre between min & max, regardless of the engine size.
Whatever amount of oil is needed to lift the level on the dipstick from Min to Max - it will be detailed in the handbook! Don't get it wrong - overfilling is a bad thing, or can be, especially in a diesel.
Too much engine oil - harmful? - Victorbox
80's & early 90's 1400cc Cav / Astra is .75 litre between min / max.
Too much engine oil - harmful? - Martin1981
Peugeot/Citroen 1.9 TD engine- 1.5 litres between max and min on dipstick. I always fill my 306 up to just below the maximum (about 4.25 litres). A mechanic stressed to me never to go above the maximum on these engines as the turbo will suck the oil into the engine, causing it to run past its governed limit and self-destruct.

Martin
The oil may get into the engine and burn in an uncontrolled manner but SFAIK it will not be thru the turbo. The turbo is driven by exhaust gases and takes in fresh air which goes to the engine.
Too much engine oil - harmful? - 659FBE
In this instance, the oil is sucked into the air side of the turbocharger via the engine crankcase breather pipe. The engine can then "run away" by running on the oil mixed with the air charge.

Generally, I don't think most engines will be harmed by a moderate overfill - but note that most engines have tapered sumps, so volumetric ratios in relation to oil levels on the dipstick are not usually valid. Remember that an engine designer has to make the engine safe to start and run when the vehicle is parked on an unfavourable incline of the order of 25%. If you avoid this marginal condition with a slightly overfull engine, damage is unlikely.

The only engines with serious problems due to overfill which I have encountered are PSA diesels. My suspicions are that they raised the oil levels to permit longer service intervals - in any event I have seen leaking crankshaft seals (and consequently oiled timing belts) on these engines with the oil at max. Running the oil at 3/4 full (on the dipstick) resulted in a completely dry engine.

659FBE - thank you for that clear explanation - I had forgotten about the crankcase breather!
Too much engine oil - harmful? - madf
Gross overfilling can result in total engine failure. Reason: crankshaft is immersed in oil and creates bubbles which get sucked into oil pump leading to oil starvation.

The late unlamented British Leyland managed to mismark the dipsticks of early 1800cc B series engines so careful users who checked oil overfilled them .. and on long runs this resulted in engine failure...
madf
Too much engine oil - harmful? - mss1tw
Gross overfilling can result in total engine failure. Reason: crankshaft is
immersed in oil and creates bubbles which get sucked into oil
pump leading to oil starvation.

Thanks for that - I've always wondered why the crank coming into contact with the 'bath' of oil in the sump was so bad. I read it somewhere, but they didn't explain...To me it seemed like it would get extra lubrication!

So if the oil didn't foam, would it be safe?
Too much engine oil - harmful? - L'escargot
Gross overfilling can result in total engine failure. Reason: crankshaft is
immersed in oil and creates bubbles which get sucked into oil
pump leading to oil starvation.

The thrashing of the crankshaft in the oil also causes excess loads on the bearings. When the manufacturer says maximum they mean maximum.
--
L\'escargot.
The thrashing of the crankshaft in the oil also causes excess
loads on the bearings. When the manufacturer says maximum they mean
maximum.

Is that literally caused by the CS having to move through something rather than just air?

What normally lubircates the CS bearings?
Too much engine oil - harmful? - Collos25
The oil pump puts oil under pressure through the galleries in the crankshaft through the oil way in the shells.
Never knew that!
Too much engine oil - harmful? - Cliff Pope
The oil pump puts oil under pressure through the galleries in
the crankshaft through the oil way in the shells.

Except on engines with splash lubrication. I had an old prewar Ford engine that had speciall scoops on the big ends, to dip into the oil and splash it around inside the crankcase.

I'd also observe that the recommended oil level cannot be all that critical. A car climbing an alpine pass has to have an engine rated for constant running under heavy load at a considerable angle. The downhill bearing might be a lot lower than the uphill.