Passat ESP warning light on - Halmer
The little yellow warning light (triangle with a circle around it) is intermittently coming on. It usually goes off at next start up but has come on now every other day for the past week.

I'm not keen to rush to the VW dealer for obvious reasons and just wondered if anyone knew what might be causing this please.
Passat ESP warning light on - Grease_monkey
Have you had a new tyre fitted lately? Differant wheel diameters i've read came bring it out of calibration. You really need to get to a VW speacilaist to get the laptop connected and see whats wrong
Thanks GM

No I haven't had a tyre fitted recently.

Would it be better to take it in when the light is actually showing or doesn't it matter?
Passat ESP warning light on - Altea Ego
Have you checked your tyre pressures?
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
No TVM but will do.

how would this affect it please?
Passat ESP warning light on - Altea Ego
One of the ESP measurement inputs is the difference in grip and rotation between the driven tyres. If its getting constant reading fluctuations it goes into fault mode as it thinks it has a problem
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Passat ESP warning light on - Grease_monkey
When the light comes on and stays on it will trigger a error message in the esp computer.
The light comes on and stays on as i am driving but always goes off if I restart.
Passat ESP warning light on - Dr Rubber
There can be several reasons for this light comming on, and assuming the passat system is not too different to the golf V system, these include:
Steering angle sensor
ABS rotors
ABS pump
Various computers

Unfortunately, unless its something obvious (ABS does not work, power steering in limp home mode etc. flat tyre), its a dealer job.

Joe
Thanks Joe and others.

The tyre presurres are OK. Ironically the light has not appeared for over a week now.

I assume that any instances will be logged somewhere for the dealer to interprete and I wont have to worry about taking it into the garage only when the light is showong?

Passat ESP warning light on when I turn ignition on and stays on - xaghra

When the ESP (triangle wth Circle around it) light come on when I turn the ignition on and stays on, and when I try to start the engine the engine will not start.

If I turn of the ignition off and turn it back on say in 10 minutes I don't have this problem. Unfortunately this happens quite frequestly. Can this be a costly repair. All tyres are the same new and tyre pressures are correct.

Passat ESP warning light on when I turn ignition on and stays on - Brit_in_Germany

VW have had a lot of problems with their ABS/ESP units over the years. Here is a rather long thread to cast your eyes over:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=66972

Passat ESP warning light on - 3uga

Have you tried checking your brake fluid level? Maybe do a fluid change.