MOT - taking it earlier - vish16
Hi,

I have a car that is almost 3 year old and it is due its FIRST MOT in November 2006. Can I take the car in for its first MOT in September 2006?

This is because I will be in the USA for 6mths from October 2006. I cannot ask somebody to take the car in for MOT in November and will be keeping it in storage/lockup when in the US.

Thanks in advance for replies.
MOT - taking it earlier - Round The Bend
Pretty sure you can only apply 1 month ahead - ie to get a 13 month MOT.
Of course, you could put it through now but you would only get a 12 month ticket from now.
_______
IanS
MOT - taking it earlier - Dwight Van Driver
.........or on your return make an appointment at a testing garage and take it straight there for its first test.
Covered by law to do this without one. Also Excise Licence exempt for this purpose.

dvd
MOT - taking it earlier - Stuartli
See:

www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/mottestersgarageowners/mottes...m
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
thanks for the replies. looking at the link from vosa and quoted text below:

"If a car is registered with no prior use on the road, the MOT will be required three years after the date of registration. For example, a car registered "from new" on 25th April 2000 will require its MOT no later than 25th April 2003."

This means I can take my car for MOT at anytime before the 3 years are up (correct?). I will contact vosa about this just to be sure.
MOT - taking it earlier - cheddar
This means I can take my car for MOT at anytime
before the 3 years are up (correct?).

Correct.
>>I can take my car for MOT at anytime before the 3 years are up (correct?)>>

No, up to a month of the third anniversary when the vehicle was first registered...:-)

So if it was registered on November 20th, 2003 then it would be from October 23rd this year onwards you can have it tested and the MOT dated from November 20th.
Ignore that - I've just realised you are going to the US next month...:-)
MOT - taking it earlier - George Porge
I presume the car has 3 years warranty and you'd like any defects the MOT picks up to be covered?
MOT - taking it earlier - Spospe
A first MOT runs for 12 months from the date that it is taken and passed.

Following MOT's run for 12 months from the date that they are passed if they are taken more than a month before the previous certificate expires. If they are taken within a month of the expiry of the previous certificate, the remaining days are added so that the new expiry date is one year after the expiry of the previous certificate.
MOT - taking it earlier - martint123
A first MOT runs for 12 months from the date that it is taken and passed.

No - a first MOT can run for 13 months if taken up to one calendar month before it's 3rd birthday so long as you produce the V5 and tell them before the test.
MOT - taking it earlier - henry k
I have a car that is almost 3 year old and it is due its FIRST MOT in November 2006.
Can I take the car in for its first MOT in September 2006?

www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/mottestersgarageowners/mottes...m

"How early can my car be submitted for test?

An MOT can be carried out at any time."

Says it all really.

IMO an MoT can be carried out at ANY time. In your case you would get a standard 1 year certificate valid from the day it was tested.

So provided you can pay then you can have as many tests as you like as often as you like.
MOT - taking it earlier - yorkiebar
Spot on!

there is no limit to how often you mot your car, just rules on max time allowed (expiry date) and how early you can go if you want to add existing time onto new one.
got reply/email back from VOSA who says as follows:

"You are able to take your vehicle in for it's first MOT test at any time.
If you do take your vehicle in for a test in September then you will lost the extra time up until November. As long as you are prepared to do this, then taking it in, in September is fine."

thanks for your replies and help, much appreciated.
MOT - taking it earlier - kithmo
Why bother taking it for an MOT before your trip, if it's going to be in storage ?
Take it when you come back, as long as you pre-book it in. AFAIK, unless the rules have recently changed, there's no legal requirement for it to have a current MOT if it's not in use. Just make sure you sorn it, if the tax runs out while you're away, so you don't get stung with a no VED fine.
MOT - taking it earlier - George Porge
His car will be out of waranty should it fail after he comes back
MOT - taking it earlier - Falkirk Bairn
Best plan is to get the car checked over by and independent before the warranty expires (always a good idea and might cost you £50 or less ) and the MoT will be issued at the same time.

When you come back from the USA you only need to get it taxed at the Post Office or alternatively do it on the net a week before you come home and it will be behind the door when you get back.

My son did this a few years back - it lay outside his flat for 4/5 mths - he got someone to start & run the car for a few miles every few weeks just to make sure the brakes did not sieze up, the battery got a charge etc.
MOT - taking it earlier - Chris S
Why not just phone up your local MOT test-station and ask?