Merc E280 L Reg: Air Mass Sensor? - BlueBiro
My MB estate shut itself down last week without warning; diagnosed as needing a new air mass sensor. Duly supplied & fitted (£350) and we're back on the road. But ... I was warned that the sensor had failed because oil was reaching it - only curable by an engine rebuild. Q: is it likely to fail again in the short term or is it something that slowly gets contaminated so that I'm likely to get a year or two more out of the car? It's done 138K miles already. All comments welcomed.
Merc E280 L Reg: Air Mass Sensor? - stuartl
Aside of the cause I would suggest sourcing one yourself if it goes again. Vauxhall quoted me £190 to fit one on my Astra Dti, I bought an original one in GM Packaging from ebay for £45 and spent less tham 5 minutes fitting it. Ok MB might be a bit more for the part but no different to fit. 138k isn't much more than run in on a Merc unless it's had the bits thrashed off it, sounds to me like either someone on the make or at best being over cautious.
Merc E280 L Reg: Air Mass Sensor? - Aprilia
The air mass sensor is located in the air intake trunking on the driver's side of the engine compartment. It is relatively easy to renew on a DIY basis. Check ECP for the latest part price.
If it is becoming contaminated by oil mist then it will fail over time. Your engine must be breathing a bit heavy (i.e. some blowby causing the crankcase to pressurise - blowing oil mist into the intake). Ensure all the breather pipes are washed through and clear of oil and also the air filter housing is clear and clean out the crankcase breather components every 6 months/6k mi. - this will help it last a lot longer.
Merc E280 L Reg: Air Mass Sensor? - Aprilia
138k isn't much more than run
in on a Merc

Seen a few that were blowing a bit at this sort of mileage - even with regular servicing and steady driving. Its a bit random I'm afraid - some are better than others when it comes to engine wear.
Merc E280 L Reg: Air Mass Sensor? - Collos25
It is also possible with care to clean the old one and use as a spare if you still have it.
Merc E280 L Reg: Air Mass Sensor? - ChicksFan
It is also possible with care to clean the old one
and use as a spare if you still have it.

Full instructions on how to do it here:

forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=18298

Regards, Ron
Merc E280 L Reg: Air Mass Sensor? - BlueBiro
I am very grateful for all these comments; very helpful