Volkswagen Golf TDI 115 PD - Juddering - Mark
If anyone could help me out with this it would be very much appreciated.
My car is presently with the volkswagen main dealer who have now had it for over a week. They do not really know what is wrong with it and have faxed Volkswagen UK. Presently they are goign through a 'list' of repairs.
The symptoms are that the car (which is only 19 months old and a full UK spec import) judders when you put your foot down on the accelerator.
I drove all the way down to London from Manchester and could not reach a speed of over 65 mph. The power died, although it did pick up if I changed down a gear and then back up. Volkswagen repalced a 'temperature management something or other' which came up a a fault on the engine diagnostics test. They had then replaced the seals on the fuel injectors/injection system?, however the juddering fault continues.
I am not particulalry clued up on cars and therefore have no idea really, as to what could be wrong. Has this happened on other Golfs? What could be cuaisng the judder?
Re: Volkswagen Golf TDI 115 PD - Juddering - Honest John
How old is the oil in the engine? Miles? Months? Has been a recurring fault with ECUs of TDI 110s (not pumpe duse). See Golf IV entry in car by ar breakdown. But we have a Passat TDI 115 in the family (one of the first in the UK) and it has shown no problems apart from an alarm system fault.

HJ
Re: Volkswagen Golf TDI 115 PD - Juddering - Mark
the oild is the oil that Volkswagen specify for a PD engine and is only 6 months old, changed by Volkswagen at the service (20,000 miles) in October 2001.
Re: Volkswagen Golf TDI 115 PD - Juddering - martin
this is very conincidental because i have a similar problem with my 1995 VW Passat Diesel TDI. Juddering when i put my foot down, then a change of simptoms to a loss of power although the car still keeps going, but only if i drop down a gear and rev it a lot. This is not to say that we have the same casues, but the sysmptoms seem identical. My local garage (who i trust totally) say that it is most likely a fuel pump problem, there are some air bubbles in the tubes carrying the diesel to the injectors. However, i cannot say that this is the fault you have. My car is still at the garage and i will keep you posted as and when they tell me more.

again, the symptoms:
- juddering when putting foot down (less so if very gradual acceleration)
- sudden loss of power, especially up hills or over 50mph, have to drop down to 4th or 3rd to keep going.

If you can confirm with me that you have identical problems.
The advice from this room is often top rate, so check your emails frequently.

martin
Re: Volkswagen Golf TDI 115 PD - Juddering - Todd
Check your intake. I bet it's clogged badly with a tar like substance cause by EGR and Crank case ventilation fumes.
thanks, but could you say what EGR and Crank case fumes are? I have just had an oil and filter change (the first question aasked by my garage), is this significant?

cheers
EGR is exhaust gas recirculation and it's to reduce emissions. TDI's also have a crank case ventilation system. Together, these systems can clog up the intake manifold. The EGR valve kicks in at a constant speed so it's best to give an italian tune up now and then.
Hi Martin,
the symptoms are identical.
I had to change down to 3rd gear coming up a long hill on the M6, let the car 'catch up' and then quickly move back up through the gears to get the speed back up.

This could be a separate problem to the juddering which started off as a problem only at about 70-85 mph when changing from 5th to 6th gear, however gradually it got worse.
Just read it again. According to the VW manual bubbles should not be present at idle. Too much air in fuel lines may be the problem. I'd check the fuel lines and get a new fuel filter, just to rule that out.
Damn fuel filter, it's only six months old. Still i have had starters go after 6 months so it's probably sods law!

Todd, how do i go about cleaning out the mug from the intake, do you mean air intake? i suppose a rag and parafin will do the trick?

thanks
should be 'muck' not 'mug', no coffee in my VW engine!
Martin, I'm talking about the intake manifold itself which gets clogged because of the EGR which is upstream of the intake manifold. You've really got to take it off to clean it which is a job.
But first you want to make sure that is what the problem is, which isn't too difficult.
To do that take off the intake pipe at the EGR end and have a look into the EGR with a torch. Move the actuator to look downstream of the butterfly valve inside the EGR. If it's full of crap then thats probably your problem.
Does your turbo seem to always be on max boost even at light load? That is a symptom.
Re: Volkswagen Golf TDI 115 PD - Juddering - Brian
If the problem is in the fuel filter area it is more likely to be poor fitting or a misplaced gasket rather than a fault in the filter itself.
If it has a prime pump as part of the filter then check the gaskets on that too.
Re: Volkswagen Golf TDI 115 PD - Juddering - CM
I don;t think that it will eb the temp management thing. I had a 325tds which thought that the outside temp was always -1c (even during summer) and it therefore gave more fuel to the engine and flooded it. The effects were loss of power despite a rev build up - no juddering just a (smooth) lack of power.
Volkswagen Golf TDI 115 PD - Juddering - Dave Lacey aka Dr Dave
I'm not conversant with the VW PD engine, but a problem MG-Rover and Saab have is Manifold Airflow Sensor contamination on their Diesel engines. To this point, it is cleaned at every service with a special solvent spray....don't use parrafin or rags!!!

It might help, I don't know.

This sensor is in the airflow between the air filter and the turbocharger.

HTH
Re: Volkswagen Golf TDI 115 PD - Juddering - Pete
If it helps, I had a loss of power/juddering on my '99T Golf GT TDi 110.

It was the air mass meter, replaced under warranty - a good job as it cost £700.

I think a competent dealership will find the fault.

You have to eliminate the obvious, but I think the breather topic is a red herring.
Many thanks to everyone who replied to my initial e-mail.

The outcome was that the garage (a main dealer), found petrol in the tank (allegedly) to be the cause. They said that the pressure of fuel going through to the injectors was too low and although I find it difficult to believe, the petrol caused the seal on the tandem fuel/air pump to deteriorate, resulting in air getting into the system. Cost to replace £519 including labour.