Air-con pong - corblimeyguvnar
I seem to rememeber in the dim and distant past a discussion about air-con bacteria and sprays to get rid of the bugs?, did anyone give this a go or can anyone tell me the best product to try, er indoors' motor has started to hum a bit, suspect its the air-con as she swears blind she hasnt spilt anything.
Cheers
CBG
--
Drink Lager, Talk Piffle,
Air-con pong - Adam {P}
Buy a can of Neutradol or Dettol's spray, find the car's aircon recirculation...bin thing (usually behind the glove box) and unload the entire can into that and the vents. Leave the aircon on for 10 minutes.

Worked a treat for me.
Air-con pong - psi
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=32715&...f

and

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=33574&...f

I've used Comma before got it off ebay about £9 inc p+p did a very good job
Air-con pong - Armitage Shanks {p}
To prevent the pong in the first place, run the air conditioning all the time, ie have it selected, even if it isn't cooling. In the summer when it is used and gets cold and generates a lot of moisture, run it full hot for a couple of minutes now and again to dry the system out. The pong is from mould and bacteria that can grow in the system if it is damp. No damp = No pong
Air-con pong - Stuartli
>>I've used Comma before got it off ebay about £9 inc p+p did a very good job>>

Yes, but Neutradol, Oust or even Morrisons' own at 65p a can are basically the same thing and very much cheaper.

In fact Neutradol was the original and the competition has forced a cut in price from around £2 a can to a third of the cost.

Just spray it into the interior, leave the engine running with the A/C on recirculation for about five minutes with all the doors shut and Bob's your Uncle...:-)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Air-con pong - Dynamic Dave
And don't forget to change the pollen filter yearly either.
Air-con pong - type's'
I often put this job off because I thought it was complicated and I did not want to start breaking into the 'system'. But stuartli has come up with one of those very simple methods as described above that would not have crossed my mind - it's alsways so obvious sfter someone point sit out. I will use this method in future - thanks stuartli - although having said that since the climate in the accord and aircon in the corolla stays on all the time as per HJ advice - I have never noticed the pong.
Air-con pong - Adam {P}
>>And don't forget to change the pollen filter yearly either.<<

Mine's never been changed! Ever! That would make it seven years old now :-(
Air-con pong - bell boy
Mine's never been changed! Ever! That would make it seven years
old now :-(

blew mine out with the airline last month saved me a tenner.....
Cheers for the advice, I'll nip down the stupidmarket and get a can.
Nice one all
CBG
--
Air-con pong - Dynamic Dave
Mine's never been changed! Ever! That would make it seven years old now :-(

I recently changed the one in my Dad's car (Astra). It had been in there for 5 years and was pretty well rank. As it's up and behind the glovebox and not a 5 minute job to change it, the garage never bothered when it went in for servicing. Now a new one has been fitted, the windows don't mist up so easily and more importantly, no more damp musty smells from rotting leaves and the like.
Air-con pong - s61sw
Gets smug expression on (or do I...?) - my Volvo, after the car has been shut down, senses the moisture content in the air system and if it is outside a 'normal' range, it blows air through using a small auxiliary fan until the air is acceptable - result - no build up of moist air ready to promote growth of microbes. I presume other manufactures use this system?
S6 1SW
Air-con pong - Halmer
And don't forget to change the pollen filter yearly either.

....unless you've got a VW because your carpets will almost certainly get wet soon after.
Have used an entire can of Dettol spray on it, not sure if it has worked as all I can smell at the mo is 'Outdoor Scent', but definitely no musty pong so we live in hope.
--
Air-con pong - Carl2
the recirculation bulb does not work on my car (Astra 1.6 8v 2002). I can here the servo working when the button is pressed but I don't know wether this is turning it on or off. Is bulb replacement simple ( will do it anyway when I get time)? For the time being is there any way I can tell if the system is in recirculation mode ? the air con seems to work perfectly apart from the initial smell (new pollen filter been sitting ingarage for just over a year now) thanks.
Air-con pong - barchettaman
Could the control dial be set to windscreen output? As that is the recirc input, it won´t work. Change the output dial to face/head/feet etc.
This was what cured this problem in my Astra, as pointed out by our moderator Dynamic Dave.
Air-con pong - Carl2
Will give it a go tomorrow. thanks.