Demon OAP drivers - Steve G
OAP's certainly have a bad reputation as slow drivers but every now and again i seem to come across some white-headed speed demons.
Take today as example usual rush hour trip home going along a dual carriage way which comes to a roundabout with the straight across exit becoming single carraige way.So you get the inevitable race round the roundabout to be first on to the single carriage way.
I took the right-hand lane as usual (normally the quickest) half way round the roundabout i became aware of a car going very quick round the outside of me to my surprise a little old dear (80's) peering THRU the steering wheel of her Proton.She actually beat me onto the exit road !. Very embarrasing, i had a good look in my mirrors to check no one from work saw this.I followed her for about 2 miles she overtook everything in her path.
Certainly put a smile on my face.
Re: Demon OAP drivers - El Dingo (Martin)
Steve,

Aargh! I remember being done by one of those 'youngsters' in a Montego in *exactly* the same way. I was in a 170HP Audi, and was so taken aback that I forgot where the throttle pedal was and got cut up (undertaken) in the process. This was 12 years ago mind, and I never forgot it!

Martin.
Re: Demon OAP drivers - Tomo
Certainly cheers me up!
Re: Demon OAP drivers - Idris Francis
Great guy I know slightly must be 80+, told me that the last time he was done for speeding on a lonely road in Scotland, he was pleased to be done for doing 95, as a mile earlier he had been doing 120!

Fast cars ever since the 30s, angelic appearance, his wife says when police stop him they refuse to believe their meters!

To the best of my knowledge, never had an accident of any significance
IdrisSteve G wrote:
>
> OAP's certainly have a bad reputation as slow drivers but
> every now and again i seem to come across some white-headed
> speed demons.
> Take today as example usual rush hour trip home going along a
> dual carriage way which comes to a roundabout with the
> straight across exit becoming single carraige way.So you get
> the inevitable race round the roundabout to be first on to
> the single carriage way.
> I took the right-hand lane as usual (normally the quickest)
> half way round the roundabout i became aware of a car going
> very quick round the outside of me to my surprise a little
> old dear (80's) peering THRU the steering wheel of her
> Proton.She actually beat me onto the exit road !. Very
> embarrasing, i had a good look in my mirrors to check no one
> from work saw this.I followed her for about 2 miles she
> overtook everything in her path.
> Certainly put a smile on my face.
Re: Demon OAP drivers - Tomo
Hello Idris!

You don't happen to know which lonely road?

Cheers,

Worried Tomo
Re: Demon OAP drivers - j.cronin
There's a lot to be said for driving a low powered car(Panda or 2cv) on the limit than driving a Porch at 30 mph.It's much more fun and Gp.1 insurance.
Re: Demon OAP drivers - Andrew Smith
Oddly enough one of Alfa-Romeo's technocal bods (I must confess I have no idea which one) is said to drive the 1.6 version of the 156. He does this for the same reason. It's more fun to drive a slow car at 100% than a fast one at 50%.
Of course this depends on what you hope to get from your car. A relaxing and comfortable drive it will not be!
Re: Demon OAP drivers - Idris Francis
Even better if you get something pre-1973 with no road tax either!

I once drove from Wales to Cambridge in my 1933 Austin 16 Tickford tourer - when we arrived, one Canadian student friend said that he could easily imagine a faster journey over that route - but not in that car!

Idris
Re: Demon OAP drivers - boost
JC - I'd love to see a porch doing 30mph. I think that would be on the limit.
A Porsche would be a different matter. :o)
Re: Demon OAP drivers - Flat in Fifth
boost wrote:
>
> JC - I'd love to see a porch doing 30mph. I think that would
> be on the limit.
> A Porsche would be a different matter. :o)

Do you remember the joke which went something like.

Tramp knocks on back door of house asking if he can do any odd jobs.
Oh yes replies the homeowner, I was just going to paint the porch at the front of the house. Gives him a tin of bright green paint and a brush.

Couple of ours later the tramp knocks on the door and once he's got his money says "Oh by the way that porch is a Mercedes"

It's the way I tell em.
Re: Demon OAP drivers - Rita
Idris -

I know of a similar case on the M20. Bu one was pulled but not done if you know what I mean. And if that is a double entendre in was unintended.