Wrong Car, Right Car - Honest John
Surprised to see no comment on tonight's 'Wrong Car, Right Car'. So, just to get the dicussion flowing, I'd like to say I thought it was excellent. Really well done, good tips, and the girl made the right choice. Okay I wasn't too sure about trying to flog her £10k's worth of Multipla for £16k, or the £14k it came down to and, if she'd been looking at a Picasso or Scenic, there are guys on this site who could sell her a new one for just over £10k. But the show was good, she got educated, and she made the right decision in the end. Heartwarming TV. Well done, Jase, Dom the director and the research crew.

HJ
Re: Wrong Car, Right Car - Rob S
Did I miss something or did they conveniently forget about the cost of financing for the second/hand cars? Fully agree she made the right choice in the end, I've read a lot of arguments along the lines of 'do you really need all that space?' Well having packed 3 children, SWMBO, luggage and 4 bikes into and onto a Cavalier I can only say YES!

The preceding Under the Bonnet was as unsatisfactory as last week though.

Rob S

PS A message for FIF - did you manage to see it or set the video?
Re: Wrong Car, Right Car - Flat in Fifth
Yes Rob S, thanks, and it worked!

HJ's right, caught the last 15 minutes and definitely correct decision.

Also I noted the Fiat saleswoman giggle when the buyer asked for a fridge!
Re: Wrong Car, Right Car - Alwyn
Yeah, the Oirishman said " With the money you have saved, you can have a holiday"

But she was borrowing 8 grand so she did not have the money for a holiday.....unless she borrowed it!
Re: Wrong Car, Right Car - Mike Harvey
I saw most of it, and as an ex salesman, would rather have not had her as a punter. No wages! She did very well.
Mike
Re: Wrong Car, Right Car - Steve G
Also enjoyed the show tonight.
You could sense the Seat would be the right buy.The look on that salesmans face when she offered 15K for it... great stuff.
Re: Wrong Car, Right Car - David W
HJ,

SWMBO was on the PC 'till midnight so I didn't get a look in but was going to post exactly as you commented. Good entertainment and good car stuff.

I found Lifting The Bonnet better this week as I have to make sure I don't end up with the type of parts they covered, I was surprised just how far the fakers would go on the packaging etc.

David
Re: Wrong Car, Right Car - Pete
If Lifting the Bonnet bothered you wait until they do a programme on fake aircraft spares! Plus, parts salvaged from crashes! The BA 747 that was shot up at Kuwait airport at the start of the Gulf War was an insurance write off, paid out and meant to be scrapped. All sorts of parts of it turned up in the spares market.
Re: Wrong Car, Right Car - Spud
I understand your sentiments on this programme, but, surely you have got to ask yourself, would these sales people be just as accomodating if they weren't actually being filmed. Let's face it everyone is on their best behaviour if they are going to appear on TV. Maybe the free publicity could also have some bearing on the outcome too.
Re: Wrong Car, Right Car - Graham Sherlock
Saw it, laughed at it, and thought, "It 'aint no substitute for Top Gear". Is TG coming back or are we stuck with this 'dumbed-down' TV.

Same goes for under the bonnet. Yet another Watchdog type programme.

Driven is suddenly looking much better.

Graham.
Re: Wrong Car, Right Car - Guy Lacey
Didn't like it. It was all staged for the cameras. Complete tosh.

..... as for that pretend cockney - well, I wouldn't take advice of him on how to buy Corn Flakes.

Sorry. Thought it was poop.

Sort of Changing Rooms meets Ground Force meets Supermarket Sweep.
Re: Wrong Car, Right Car - Robin Tucker
Yes, but why no Zafira offered?

And last week, when the A4 Avant was deemd to dull, I would have thought a BMW 328i Touring would fit the bill better than the Merc.

Maybe they run a broader selection of cars past the participants off camera, given limits of 30 minutes of TV.

Still, overall seems to be a good prog - and one my wife doesn't mind watching - unlike other motoring progs!

Robin
Re: Wrong Car, Right Car - ROBIN
When I was recently looking at MPVs I came to the conclusion that the Zaffy was far and away the one to have.....except...
Why does there always have to be an except?
Except what,you ask.
Well,a casual glance at its spec shows that it needs at least 150 BHP and about 230 lb/ft to avoid becoming a slow moving bollard.this is unavailable.
And I didnt need banks of Kray computers to work that out either,GM.
to say you havent a suitable manual box is just plain insulting to anyones intelligence,you're GM,remember?
Funnily enough,and for even less obvious reasons I discovered that the Scenic and the Picasso were equally unbuyable.
Its as simple as this really,if my wifes Xsara Estate was too slow with the 110HDI and only adequate when chipped,what would make anyone think that a vehicle 20% heavier,would be satisfactory with 90 bhp?
I am actually genuinely mystified by this.