Mondeo running costs (for saddos) - Waino
Well, if anyone ever wondered how much it costs to run a car, in this case a 2l petrol Mondeo estate, I can give you chapter & verse.

If you aren't asleep by now:

It is an ex-company car which I ran from new and bought off the company when it was 3.5 years old. As I had always had to keep certain records for the company, then I continued for the next 5 years of ownership. I bought the car for £4500 and wrote off this cost as depreciation over the 5 years. The ABS unit failed at 80,000 miles but, having replaced it for £1008, the car is still going at 128,000 miles. For the past 5 years, averaging 13,084 miles pa, the cost has been £3,603pa (27.53p per mile). That includes absolutely everything - insurance was for business use.

Mondeo running costs (for saddos) - George Porge
Motoring is'nt cheap is it :-( Its only when you see it written down like that you realise where all your hard earned goes.

Can anyone work out how much of that is tax? Income tax,insurance tax, road tax, fuel tax, VAT
Mondeo running costs (for saddos) - local yokel
What was your mpg figure?
Well, Yokel, just to prove how sad I am, I'll bore you with the details - remember, this is from year 3.5 to year 8.5 in the car's life:

Ist year: 32.98 mpg
2nd: 34.83
3rd: 33.80
4th: 34.10
5th: 34.34
Avg: 34.04

For the past 6 months or so, I reckon the mpg has been down from 34ish to 30ish - though after its recent MoT, I suspect it has improved again. I just wonder if someone perhaps tweaked something during the test. Recent mpg may have been affected by greater than normal use of the aircon.

I suspect that £3,600 is a fair representation of what it actually costs these days for a middle-aged bloke to run a middle-aged car, doing a close-to-average mileage. For a brand new Mondeo, depreciation alone would account for that sort of cost in the first couple of years. OK, I've needed to have the occasional problem sorted, but it's never let me down - and yes, I'd have another. BTW, my servicing is done by a local independant chap who I trust implicitly. My work means that the car gets scratched and filthy, so my plan is to run it 'til it falls to pieces.

Mondeo running costs (for saddos) - BobbyG
£1008 for an ABS unit! You must have been happy with the car to spend that amount on a repair?
£1008 for an ABS unit! You must have been happy with
the car to spend that amount on a repair?

I looked around - and that was about the normal cost for the unit plus fitting. It wasn't too difficult a decision as the alternative would have been to scrap the car - it was unsaleable/unMoTable in that state. We discussed it on the BR at the time and the ABS unit seemed to be a very rare thing to fail. As it turned, out the decision was sound - at 48,000 miles later, the ol' girl's just passed her MoT again.

Mondeo running costs (for saddos) - AlastairW
Jeez that mpg is good. I average 26.77 in my 1.8 Focus.
Mondeo running costs (for saddos) - rtj70
Wait for Adam to comment on his Focus... he's suffered from consumption. Well the car anyway.
Jeez that mpg is good. I average 26.77 in my 1.8 Focus.>>

Considering that I'm very light-footed, I didn't think very much to the mpg - then saw in the handbook their figure of 32.5, so maybe it's not too bad after all.

I'd heard that the 1.8 Focus was pretty quick and could be thirsty, but I would have thought it would do better than 26.77. SWMBO's 1.6 Focus does a fraction over 36mpg, measured over 2.5 years.

Mondeo running costs (for saddos) - tyro
Interesting.

Did you include finance / lost interest on the purchase price in your calculations? I understand that in the official calculations by the RAC, AA etc, that is an important part of the total running cost.
Did you include finance / lost interest on the purchase price
in your calculations? I understand that in the official calculations
by the RAC, AA etc, that is an important part of
the total running cost.

>>

Thanks for the interest.

I didn't include finance as I paid cash for the car. I appreciate that 'Which' and others include a figure for loss of interest on the purchase price - which in this case would average approx £225-£250pa (I think). However, I consider this to be too pedantic - even for me. IIRC the 'Which' reports even said how much you had to earn as a basic/higher rate taxpayer in order to pay for it. It's a bit like saying 'Yes, I paid £50 for that meal, but it actually cost me £52.50 because of the loss of interest - what's more, I had to earn £67.31 (plus NI etc) in order to have enough money to come out and eat in the first place!'. Spoils the meal somewhat!

In the case of newer cars, by far the biggest contribution to cost comes from depreciation in the car value. If you take out £500pa from my calculation (for replacement spares etc) and put in £3000pa for depreciation, you can see exactly where the IR gets its tax allowance of 40p per mile from.
Mondeo running costs (for saddos) - Collos25
Auto Bild has just released the total running costs for 500 cars which includes everything and are regarded as the bible in Germany.A quick glance shows that diesels are more expensive than the compatable petrol, the Mondeo 2.0 diesel cost was 55euros per 100km and the petrol 52 euros.Although diesel is cheaper than petrol the savings are soon wiped out by higher road taxes and servicing costs.
A quick glance shows that diesels are more expensive than the
compatable petrol, the Mondeo 2.0 diesel cost was 55euros per 100km
and the petrol 52 euros.Although diesel is cheaper than petrol the
savings are soon wiped out by higher road taxes and servicing
costs.

The petrol one works out to about 55.5 ppm, then - which I would think very likely if it were a new car and loss of interest etc were factored in.

SWMBO bought her s/h petrol Focus for £8500 against the identical diesel which was offered at £10500 after we worked out that it would take over 10 years to repay that difference at her annual mileage rate.
Mondeo running costs (for saddos) - No FM2R
>>However, I consider this to be too pedantic - even for me

I'm sure you didn't forget the odd litre of fuel, seemingly you didn't round up your TCO per mile to the nearest 5p, so why would that interest be too pedantic to include.

I think a true TCO figure is an excellent reference, but it should be truly "total".

I'm sure you didn't forget the odd litre of fuel, seemingly
you didn't round up your TCO per mile to the nearest
5p, so why would that interest be too pedantic to include.

Sorry, what's a TCO?
Mondeo running costs (for saddos) - No FM2R
Total Cost of Ownership
Mondeo running costs (for saddos) - Chad.R
Total Cost of Ownership
I'm sure you didn't forget the odd litre of fuel, >>

Nope - I didn't forget the odd litre of fuel BUT I didn't account for the few drips that I lost during filling, nor that lost during servicing, emission testing etc. I don't think this would have a significant effect on the mpg but it was included in the total cost.

>>why would that interest be too pedantic to include.

If you REALLY want to add in a complete figure for loss of interest over a 5 year running period, it would get extremely complicated as there would be, not only the initial sum paid out, but all the subsequent costs that periodically have to be met. And what figure should we use for interest? And would we allow for taxation (basic or higher?) of that interest , or would we put it in an ISA? Or should we invest it in the stockmarket and lose the lot? It all gets far too silly if you try to take it to the Nth degree.

Mondeo running costs (for saddos) - tyro
I didn't include finance as I paid cash for the car.

I consider
this to be too pedantic - even for me.

By virtue of reading your original post and finding it interesting, I am showing myself to be a saddo. Now it turns out I'm a pedant as well!

I'm not sure it is so pedantic - since it is a real cost, and one that for me amounts to about 10% of the cost of running my car.

Thanks for the tip about the £50 meal. Realising that I will be paying a couple of quid every year for the rest of my life for that meal will certainly help to concentrate my mind before I go into a restaurant.
Thanks for the tip about the £50 meal. Realising that
I will be paying a couple of quid every year for
the rest of my life for that meal will certainly help
to concentrate my mind before I go into a restaurant.

Errr.....lest you think I'm a gastronaut - £50 would be for me and SWMBO, AND include a decent bottle of pop!

Mondeo running costs (for saddos) - turbo11
Blimey.I average 37 mpg in my mazda 6
Mondeo running costs (for saddos) - local yokel
It would be reasonable to take the interest available in an instant access account (say the Nationwide) and deduct basic rate tax, since anyone running a car on those miles etc. will be paying basic rate tax.

Egg do carry a historical interest rate file on their website which I use from time to time.

It does depend of course whether the car is bought out of real or imaginery capital. If you regularly have borrowings (including mortage) then you should really be using the highest rate of interest you are paying as your cost of capital, as it is fair to assume that if you had not bought the car you would not have incurred that debt to that amount.

So if you are running a debt on a CC of more than your car's cost price, then you are effectively paying for the car via the CC, so that rate of interest prevails, even if you did not use the CC to buy it.
Mondeo running costs (for saddos) - Xileno {P}
Whatever way you look at it, running a new(ish) car is going to be expensive.
Mondeo running costs (for saddos) - Chad.R
In the Mondeo's (and Waino's) defence, this is the estate version we are talking about. If it was the hatchback it may do a few mpg more.......
Mondeo running costs (for saddos) - Collos25
I am running a 2004 1.8 mondeo estate at the moment and it is doing 34.2 mph according the computer which I think is quite reasonable ,but fuel is only a part of the picture.
Mondeo running costs (for saddos) - y2k+4
Has anyone spotted the new "Real Cost" indicators on whatcar.com. That was an eye opener, I never realised quite how much money cars suck out of us...
I couldn't find the 'Real cost' indicator on the whatcar site, but found the depreciation data and comparison graphs. According to that, a new Mondeo, equivolent to mine, would lose £10,918 in value in its first year - blimey! If you did 15,000 miles in the first year and costed loss of interest at 5%, then cost per mile would be 79p before you added the costs of petrol, tax etc. The data fall down because the start price is quoted (presumably) at RRP, which no one would be paying.

There's no way I would run a new car - unless I won one in a raffle!

In the grand picture, a few mpg doesn't make much difference compared to depreciation; however I always reckon that if we paid for fuel in fivers and tenners rather than with a bit of plastic, we'd feel the pain more.