The lamented LJK's last book.... - stevied
... or tome, as he would probably call it. It got delivered today (good work Amazon) and is an intriguing insight into a very interesting man, whose interests were eclectic to put it mildly and who, even if you disagreed with him, always gave a good argument.

It's called "Long Lane with turnings" and even although I'm only on page 40, I would recommend it!

Foreword by Michael Bywater, another good writer.

Anyone else got it?
I meant to write "late lamented". My room is very dark, O an tring not to wake un the ohtrher galf.

Or, am tring not to wake up the other half!
The lamented LJK's last book.... - bell boy
mmmmmmmmmmm telegraph wanted 13 quid delivered on sat i see its a lot cheper on the river route
never thought much of the guy to be honest but reading about his 3 wheeler exploits and the way it was written think i may well read his book?
£5 when youve read it? + p@p?
The lamented LJK's last book.... - Lud
He overwrote a little bit sometimes om and had a fine opinion of himself but of course sometimes that is at least in part justified.

Had strong prejudices just like you and really loved his motoring. Fancied himself as a driver too not without justification some say...

He turned me down for a job once on some technical, non-motoring, magazine or tract. Said I'd be bored by it. No doubt he had a point, although I wasn't best pleased at the time, and I bore no grudge.

He didn't have that godawful prophet's beard when I met him though. He dressed well otherwise, and I sympathise with a smoker, but that beard was definitely a step too far.

IMHO of course, as they say.
Lud you are a mind reader.............
that zz top beard would put me off god............
Probably did om. Otherwise you wouldn't have survived in the retail jalopy business...
Lud, did you mean me or oldman had strong prejudices?

I don't mind either way, just was unsure if you were addressing him or me! Is that grammatically correct? I am sure LJKS would comment on it, were he here...

What was he like in person?

I was replying to om who has a slightly sour attitude to LJKS, and who seems to have some strong prejudices (so do I stevied, and you too no doubt!). As for what he was actually like... it was a job interview over 30 years ago, so I can hardly claim intimate or prolonged relationship with him. Perfectly nice I thought, and much as one would expect. No beard though as I remember, certainly not the Sigurd Forkbeard thing he had in later life...

I hope om hasn't taken offence at my teasing suggestion that only a Godless person could succeed as a car dealer though.
Sounds fair comment to me! I know many traders, heathenism nay satanism is a necessity! : )

OM, "fiver plus P & P"? Throw in a service and we'll talk...
the only cloth i see since leaving school are the polishing ones......
might go the river route for the book myself then thanks for the extremely good offer ;-o stevied

you are fine by me lud
strong opinions eh..........is that really me?
The lamented LJK's last book.... - mss1tw
Good morning begins with Gillete.