1.4 vvti Corolla pinking - stevek
2001 corolla (older shape) with 53K now seems to pink quite easily below 2000 rpm. It has got worse over the past year and now does it all the time.
Has anyone any ides what to look for. It does it with different petrol types.
Appreciate help please.
1.4 vvti Corolla pinking - GregSwain
Knock sensor!!

Get a proper diagnostic tuning centre to have a look at it, sounds like the ECU isn't altering the ignition timing properly because of a dodgy knock sensor.
1.4 vvti Corolla pinking - type's'
I experienced similar with a VAG engine - they told me it was not pinking and it was the catalyst rattling.
They replaced knock sensor etc to try and fix.
I think the above advice is good - get a proper diagnostic first.
Thanks that advice sounds good.
Does anyone know where the sensor is on the engine and what it looks like.
1.4 vvti Corolla pinking - bell boy
stevek these arent cheap and simply replacing the knock sensor may well be a waste of money,consider quality fuel for a few weeks if you have been using budget stuff lately ,and give the car a good run out this weekend ...
1.4 vvti Corolla pinking - GregSwain
Get a complete diagnostic check - modern engines have umpteen sensors, which can fail causing symptoms normally indicative of something else. Don't try replacing it yourself, unless you KNOW that it's the part at fault.

I'm afraid the only way to know for sure is to hook the car upto a computer. Gone are the days when you could just loosen the distributor and advance your ignition timing to cure pinking. It's most likely the knock sensor, but oldman's right - eliminate cheaper things first. Is the car due a service?

Has it been main-dealer serviced? If not, have the right spark-plugs been fitted? If not, they might not be dispersing heat quick enough, and causing detonation (yet another word for pinking!) The correct NGK sparkplugs are "BKR5EYA-11", which will only cost about £12 a set from Halfords. Might be worth replacing these before the wild goose chase commences.
Thanks for all the good advice. Yes the plugs are correct-I checked this evening.

The pinking is stops when I press the accelerator more. Thinking maybe it is running lean at low revs.

Will get it checked at a local independent.
1.4 vvti Corolla pinking - Raman
Hi, Just wondering if you got your pinking problem sorted out.