Black Mondeo-Best way to keep it clean? - Beaks
.*********
Black Mondeo-Best way to keep it clean? - Adam {P}
.********** to you too!
Black Mondeo-Best way to keep it clean? - rtj70
If it's a recent black Mondeo in Pearlescent black don't worry. It will show all the scratches and marks and be easy to get small dents. That's what happened to mine and stopped worrying. Paint is nowhere as good as the VAG cars I had before, including black pearlescent paint.
Black Mondeo-Best way to keep it clean? - cheddar
Paint is nowhere as good as the VAG cars I
had before, including black pearlescent paint.

I know of a black mettalic or perhaps pearlescent 98/99 Polo that has horrendous paint compared to my wife's Clio of the same age.
Admittedly I only had the black diamond black Golf GTi 1.8T for six months before theft but the paint was much better than the black Mondeo I currently have with pearlescant paint. Now the silver Passat I had for nearly 4 years had better paint when it went back than the current Mondeo had after only 6 months. Small dents, lots of scratches (some I've done myself "brushing" past the vehicle in car parks). Maybe all paint poorer with changes to environental issues of paint, e.g. I know yellow is the worst colour to work with due to what is in it.
Sorry, I do not know where my question went.. It was this, I have just got a 05 mondeo in metallic panther black. I polished it tonight with ordinary liquid polish that just happens to be white. It was a nightmare to get all of the white bits of after I had given it a good polish. Should I use something like black t-cut ?? Would that help ??
You shouldn't need to T-Cut polish off. I've pushed liquid polish on mine and it cleaned up nicely except for all the mentioned scratches of course.
Black Mondeo-Best way to keep it clean? - Altea Ego
Black Mondeo-Best way to keep it clean?

Trade it in for a silver one.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Black Mondeo-Best way to keep it clean? - fossyant
Try a black polish - like a 'Colour Magic' type one - works quite well.

The better polishes, i.e. more expensive, leave less residue (won't name any as it's well discussed on here). Even better if you use a 2 stage one - polish then a high gloss protector !

Black Mondeo-Best way to keep it clean? - Dynamic Dave
Sorry, I do not know where my question went..

You upset the swearfilter. DD.
Black Mondeo-Best way to keep it clean? - Collos25
Trade it in for a silver one,black looks good once - in the showroom and then its a continuous loosing battle.
Black Mondeo-Best way to keep it clean? - madf
I had a diamond Black BMW 3 series.

A PIA to keep clean.. BUT...
Colour Magic Black all over to fill any scratches then a two stage wax system as described elsewhere.

(or black wax crayon to fill the scratches)

madf
Black Mondeo-Best way to keep it clean? - barchettaman
Lambswool washmitt, two buckets, car shampoo.
Claybar and lubricant spray.
Depending on the paintwork condition, a carpaint restorer and/or Carnubia wax.

If this is too much hassle, whack it through the carwash and dry with a chamoix using Turtlewax Wax it Wet.
I used WiW on the Barchie and can *really* recommend it BTW, lovely finish, zero hassle - but then the paintwork is in good condition.
Black Mondeo-Best way to keep it clean? - Murphy The Cat
Black is an absolute rhubarb and custard to keep looking good.

My only advice is to give the car a good hadwash and handdry every week and keep on top of it.

IMHO Pearlescent Black is by far and away the best looking colour of any car on the road when it is clean - sadly, it is the when it is clean bit doesn't last long.

MTC
Surely the constant rain in the lake district keeps the 300C nicely rinsed tho, Murphy? ;-)
Black Mondeo-Best way to keep it clean? - adverse camber
also - there's room in the boot for a team of car washers who can leap out and do their stuff whenever it comes to a halt.

Black Mondeo-Best way to keep it clean? - Altea Ego
Murphy has plenty of "staff" to clean the car, after all it is a pimps motor. ;)
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Black Mondeo-Best way to keep it clean? - Gromit {P}
Every few months (Spring and Autumn are enough for me) give it a very thorough wash and hose-down to remove every spot of dirt on the car. Then apply black T-cut and polish with an electric buffer fitted with a fluffy polishing mitt. Apply Back-to-Black on whatever parts of the body trim are plastic rather than painted.

In between, use Mer wash/wax when you clean the car and dry off with a chamois leather.

That's as much as I do for my flat black Fiat Punto and it keeps it looking well. Though I'll admit its in need of some TLC at the moment...
Black Mondeo-Best way to keep it clean? - AR-CoolC
Beaks, it depends how far you want to go, and how fussy you are.

Personally I spend the best part of most Saturdays keeping my black Leon looking tip top, but I also fully understand that not many people are as fussy as me.

Stay away from T-Cut, it will do more harm than good on a black car, as you know black shows up every little defect, and T-Cut will actually make lots of little scratches to remove bigger ones, as it has very aggresive abrasives in it.

As barchettaman has already hinted the best thing for you to do is concentrate on your wash technique to stop you inflicting more damage on the paint surface. Stop using a sponge, as this causes the swirl marks you see when the car is parked in direct sunlight.
Use a wool wash mit and two buckets, one with the wash solution and the other with clean water. dunk the wash mitt in the wash bucket, clean one panel of the car, then rinse the mitt in the clean water, and repeat around the car. It more time consuming but does reduce the swirls A LOT.

Surely the constant rain in the lake district keeps the 300C
nicely rinsed tho, Murphy? ;-)

A serious question ? I'm not sure. But I'll give you the serious answer !

I can leave Arnie in absolute sparkling condition after finishing my weekly wash, walk away, watch a shower come in, wait for the sun to come out and dry out the rain, return to Arnie, scratch my head and wonder why I waste my time cleaning a Black car !

Whether it's just an isolated thing, or whether I never used to notice it with my previous (Gold coloured) car, but the rain at the moment is absolutely filthy and when it dries it leaves loads of dust splodges about 1" across.

So plenty of rain yes, but unfortunately the wrong type of rain !

MTC
I treated myself to a Autoglym Hi tech flexi blade at the weekend to help dry off Arnie a lot quicker and it makes a world of difference.

Not cheap at £14.99, but makes the whole chamois dry process a lot quicker.

tinyurl.co.uk/ainj

MTC
Black Mondeo-Best way to keep it clean? - stunorthants
First, if the polish is any good, it shouldnt be too hard to get off if you use a clean bit of cloth, so it shouldnt be a nightmare. I hope you not one of those people who gets polish all over the plastics as I know that can be hard to remove.

If you use a decent polish, the colour of it shouldnt matter one bit. Black T-cut is a gimmick because it doesnt actually have any 'cut' in it over and above a normal polish, its just colour enriched.
.....Autoglym Hi tech flexi blade.....

Murph, be really careful with the blade that the car is 100% clean before you dry it - it´s apparently easy to put in a nasty scratch if you drag a wee bit of grit under the blade.

...... hope you not one of those people who gets polish all over the plastics....

I just did this on the Astra side strips and can confirm it´s a right pain to remove!!!! Next time I´ll be more careful, maybe using the 3M 3434 tape. A real Homer Simpson ´Doh!` moment...
.....Autoglym Hi tech flexi blade.....
Murph, be really careful with the blade that the car is
100% clean before you dry it - it´s apparently easy to
put in a nasty scratch if you drag a wee bit
of grit under the blade.

good advice barchettaman and it's identical to the advice on the box. In fact the box is VERY specific about how it is to be used. Fortunately, I'm one of life saddo's who always reads instructions - but I could see someone doing a fair bit of lumber, really quickly with one.

BTW, it does a cracking job of taking the water off.

MTC
Black Mondeo-Best way to keep it clean? - Roberson
We have something similar to this (Hydraflexi blade IIRC). I didn't think it was that much quicker than a chamois to be honest. As I keep mentioning, Bilt-hambers Autobalm wax produces NO annoying 'dust' and fills holographic swirls easily.

We have something similar to this (Hydraflexi blade IIRC).

Just checked the packaging, and that's what mine is as well. Got it off the market for £6. Seen similar products in various "any item for a £1" type shops, but the blade is made of hard rubber, whereas the Hydra flex blade is soft medical grade silicone.

www.hydra-flexi.co.uk/
Yeah DD, that looks like it. I paid about £8 at Costco for it. Still prefer a chamois though.
Yeah DD, that looks like it. I paid about £8 at
Costco for it. Still prefer a chamois though.

nnnooooooooooooooooo

I use the blade first to get most of the water off, then Sammy The Chammy to get the little thats remaining off.

My car does have quite a large surace area when it comes to cleaning / drying and the blade has cut down the drying tiome dramatically.

MTC

someone mentioned getting a Silver car - no thanks, it might be easier to keep clean, but IMO silver (grey) is the dullest car colour in the world.
IMO silver (grey) is the dullest car colour in the world.

As will your black car be unless you spend endless hours cleaning it. Give me silver any day. Stays clean for weeks on end.
Black Mondeo-Best way to keep it clean? - No FM2R
>>Stays clean for weeks on end.

Weeks ? The Galaxy is coming up to 3 years old (actually could be 2, I don't remember) and just about due its first wash.

Weeks ? Hah ! You're a mere beginner.
The Galaxy is coming up to 3 years old (actually could be 2, I don't remember) and just about due its first wash.

Is that so you can remind yourself what colour it is?
Black Mondeo-Best way to keep it clean? - SjB {P}
I'm with MTC here, albeit because I follow barchettaman's advice to check that the blade is 100% clean first.
Since adopting a water blade some years ago, the rate of adding scratches to SWMBO's 306 has markedly decreased compared to a chamois and my V70 on which the water blade has always been used has hardly any.

Having ensured that the car is thoroughly rinsed (and here Halfords shampoo helps as the rinsing off water beads like on a newly polished car whereas I only polish once a year, tops) I use the water blade on the roof and any other large enough surface to warrant it, carrying a damp chamois in the other hand to collect the remaining dribbles or wipe the more awkward areas.

nnnooooooooooooooooo
I use the blade first to get most of the water
off, then Sammy The Chammy to get the little thats remaining
off.

Well that?s what I used to do, but the car's tiny in comparison to your 300C, so its just as quick to use a chamois than it is the blade. Especially when you have to go around the car for a second time, drying the bits it missed. As far as waxes are concerned, Autoglym is easily bettered and not worth the money. Meguiars is better, but not as good as my favourite Bilt-hamber!
Black Mondeo-Best way to keep it clean? - John S
Do what I do with my black Morris Minor - leave it under a dust cover, and only use it rarely. Seriously though, there isn't an answer, othe than wash and leather it after every outing....... Black cars are impossible to keep looking smart. Buy a silver one next time!

JS
Black Mondeo-Best way to keep it clean? - Mondaywoe
I used the Meguiars 3 stage treatment on my (gloss black) C5. Blinking hard work because you really have to polish the car 3 times on the same day (and that's after a very very thorough wash!) Basically the first bottle takes out minor marks (not particularly abrasive) The second bottle brings up the shine and the third seals it in (mostly carnuba wax)

I used to use Autoglym stuff, but on balance I think Meguiars has the edge. In particular, it doesn't leave a white dust or residue.

Graeme
Black Mondeo-Best way to keep it clean? - s61sw
C5 Owner

Couldn't agree more. I've done the Meguairs 3 stage jobby on my Sapphire Black S60 and Mrs. S6's silver Yaris. The Yaris in particular looks mint. I'd recommend the stuff every time over Autoglym.

S6 1SW
Black Mondeo-Best way to keep it clean? - s61sw
Sorry, forgot to add that this site has a wealth of knowledge and advice about getting your car clean:-

www.detailingworld.co.uk

S6 1SW
Black Mondeo-Best way to keep it clean? - Collos25
The problem being no matter how much work you put into geting it clean the next time you take a black car out in wet weather it looks a dog again whereas silver looks still looks good.
silver
looks still looks good.

& dull & boring (IMO)

MTC
Black Mondeo-Best way to keep it clean? - Statistical outlier
Most things are going to look dull and boring compared to the brash extravaganza that is a 300C tho surely Murph? :-)

Personally, I like blending in, and love the lack of attention I get in my (smart if you look closely at it) dark grey Accord Tourer on big wheels.
Most things are going to look dull and boring compared to
the brash extravaganza that is a 300C tho surely Murph? :-)

Hi Gordon
I have to tread really lightly here, because at our recent 300C meet up we had mostly Black, 2 x Silver & 1 X Midnight Blue cars turn up. I'm biased (at least I'm honest about it), but the Silver car just didn't have the prescence at the others, but it did look (in an obscure way) a lot more refined.

here's a piccie of 6 of the cars lined up, see what you think ?

tinyurl.com/fgsyf

MTC
Black Mondeo-Best way to keep it clean? - Xileno {P}
All hideous ;-)

Might look quite nice as a harlequin special edition, just like that VW Polo a few years back.
A harlequin 300C, put my name down for one of those :)

& then that'll shut up the pimpmobile brigade forever.

MTC
There a harlequin Polo on Autotrader at the moment, if anyone's interested.
Don't all rush at once...

How could VW inflict this on us?
Black Mondeo-Best way to keep it clean? - Statistical outlier
I agree mate, the 300C looks good in black, less so in silver. The shape requires conviction to carry it off (which may not be a problem if you believe the designed for the pimp / dealer accusations on this site!). I like it, but wouldn't drive one myself as it's not my thing.

My Accord is nearly black, and I think it looks good. I also happen to think the Accord Tourer looks awful in light silver. Lots of cars look good in it tho, mostly smaller cars. Larger cars look better in darker colours IMHO.
I agree the black looks best. Also the grille on one of them looks better.
You´ve just made Murphy´s day - that one´s his.
Ah, that's good then. Nice scenery up there as well. Can one still buy Haggis or has some gormless Eurocrat banned that now?
Ah, that's good then. Nice scenery up there as well. Can
one still buy Haggis or has some gormless Eurocrat banned that
now?

If you hadn't said something nice about Arnie 2 posts above (thank you very much by the way, I'm deeply touched ;) ), i would now be taking the Mickey out of you.

The picture was taken on the edge of The Lake District, I'll have you know.
Sheep molesters - yes.
Haggis chasers - no.

MTC
Black Mondeo-Best way to keep it clean? - boxsterboy
I n ormally use Autoglym but have seen that Meguiars is highly rated.

But how do you pronounce Meguiars? I don't want to be laughed out of my A1 Car Accessory store if I get it wrong!
Getting the last three letters right is crucial.

Black Mondeo-Best way to keep it clean? - oldgit
I n ormally use Autoglym but have seen that Meguiars is
highly rated.
But how do you pronounce Meguiars? I don't want to be
laughed out of my A1 Car Accessory store if I get
it wrong!

Meg -you-ee -arse, how else?

Seriously, Meg wires, of course
Black Mondeo-Best way to keep it clean? - Chad.R
That like a scene out of a gangster movie - you expect a load of guys dressed in pinstripe and fedoras, carrying violin cases to step into the picture.
Black Mondeo-Best way to keep it clean? - landmarked
I've just treated myself to a new (to me) Ibiza TDI Sport ? I?m collecting it from the dealer sometime next week. I was 'umming' and 'arring' for quite some time because it's black metallic. I'm usually fastidious about car cleaning and I realised that if I bought this car I would just have to let go, the car would only be clean once a week at the most!!!

I went for it in the end because it still looked fantastic even after last week?s heavy rain, much nicer than any of the other colours I?ve viewed. (There were other considerations, obviously!)
Black Mondeo-Best way to keep it clean? - landmarked
Obviously I've just got to hope I don't run into MTC as by the looks of it his 300C would probably slice the Ibiza to pieces in it's grill, suck out the diesel, drop the remains off bridge then accelerate away into the night.
For Arnie & MTC truly belong on the dark side.

I hope that your new Ibiza does the business for you (& that you become firm friends with the wash mitt as well !)

MTC
Well thank you all. I did not think that my question would get this many replies. It was the white residue that I had difficulty getting rid of............