Parking Hogs - THe Growler
Ah....not what you thought! But the supermarket parking thread got me thinking. Back in September I was in UK and running around on my Harley Road King. That's one big wide bike when you take into account the pannier boxes and the engine bars. I was leaving it in Pay and Display parks, it would have taken up most of the small bike areas and deprived others of them, and to make sure I had plenty of room so it didn't get dinged I was paying the full car price for the sticker. Twice passers-by told me rather righteously I thought (maybe it's the tattoos....) I shouldn't be there, I was taking up space allocated for cars. Don't see why, I was paying the full (extortionate) sticker price. Since I will be riding in UK again in May, what does anyone think about this? I always made sure I didn't overstay and at no point did anyone in uniform challenge me. On this point I would say most of the motorcycle parking facilities I encountered were very inadequate, not just for me but for any rider.
Re: Parking Hogs - CM
Get a smaller bike?
Re: Parking Hogs - Neil
It's not a problem: if you're riding round on a bike and want to park in a secure, well-lit area without risk of getting your bike scratched or knocked by other riders then use a paid-for parking bay.

For bikes the main problem is finding places you can get your lock round. You want to feel as though if someone is going to steal your bike they'll have to work at it.
Re: Parking Hogs - David W
Growler,

I'd be pleased to see your machine in a full sized bay. More room to look an admire/show the daughters a monster machine.

What is it about Harley's?

Had a customer round to collect his car last night who commented he was onto the Harley model he'd always wanted. Which of the other two are you selling then? Neither we'll keep all three!

David
Re: Parking Hogs - Dave N
Welcome to England, where motorists, those with a job, shooters, and bikers are hated.

If you're on a bike, you must be a yobbo, therefore you deserve no respect, no-where to park your bike safely, and are fair game to any traffic copper.

I hope it never happens to you, but when some blind git pulls out on you and you see the police treatment you get compared to that of the other motorist, you'll fully understand.
Re: Parking Hogs - Graham
A traffic warden told me to move on as parking meter bays are for cars only. That Was 20 years ago I don't know if it is still true( or if it ever was). The laws in London have been tightened. Places where you used to be able to park on wide pavements are now a no-go area.

David N is correct you are an outcast if you ride. The stigma is still there from the 50's and 60's, though not as bad as it was. Maybe now it's because you are different from the mainstream rather than a hoooligan per se.
Re: Parking Hogs - Rob S
Dave N

I'd guess you're not a fan of Michael Meacher either.......

In my view THe Growler is quite in order to park in a normal bay, he stiil won't take up as much room as those badly parked 4X$'s, vans, Volvo estates etc.

Rob S
Re: Parking Hogs - mike harvey
I wonder that as a Harley is more like a 4x4 than a bike anyway, they should always be in car spaces!

(Sorry about the bad grammar, putting 'Harley' and 'Bike' in the same sentence)
Regards
'Triton' Mike
Of course, bikers never do anything wrong, do they?

Over the weekend the traffic was very heavy on the Sunderland to Portmouth journey. But even when the traffic was moving at 80+ with all three lanes full there were still bikes filtering through regardless of the fact that the traffic was already exceeding the speedlimit, there was more often than not a less than 2 second gap (less than 1 second) between one car and the car in front, and the effort required to concentrate on the indicating lane changers meant unless you expected someone to scream past inches away from your mirrors, using the lane you're occupying then how more riders aren't hit is as much a testament to many drivers' reactions and their fear of being responsible for someone's death as it is of a rider's perceived self-ability.

Most motorists seem to have the utmost respect and consideration for bikers. Most motorists wish they could be on a bike instead, but have to carry family, luggage, stuff from IKEA. As a biker who eventually learned to drive I discovered that motorists don't have the same level of visibility or manoeuverability as bikers - this was news to me, and now, on a bike and in the car, I make sure I'm seen before changing direction, overtaking, whatever.

Granted there are plenty of myopic drivers out there - but they're as likely to write off another car, as they are a biker. Equally, there are plenty of riders out there who don't take responsibility for their own safety and cloak this disregard in hatred for motorists.

The traffic police I've met are great: they're enthusiastic about driving and riding, trained to the highest possible levels, and have a common sense when it comes to road safety and traffic flow - everyone understands the desire to press on and have the chance to safely enjoy a little bit of performance.

As with all drivers, riders, and police, there will always be a minority who buck the trend of maintaining high standards on the roads. Certainly, the UK road casualty statistics suggest this.

Riding in the UK is brilliant, but the best roads and views may be a little convoluted for cruising. . .
Neil wrote:
>
> Of course, bikers never do anything wrong, do they?
>
There will always be some plonkers, usually the young and foolish. Bikers usually understand there own mortality.

Unfortunatly, there is a very high percentage of car drivers who have little regard for the safety of others on the highway. On the way to work I was seriously cut up three time in my Land Rover. There was no need. It is bright yellow and so highly visible, I was driving corrctly etc. It was just because they had to be in front. If only they knew just how effective the 20 yr old brakes are, mind you I did lock all wheels on one occasion

How many cars did you see this morning with there fog lights on?, because they look soooo good don't they. Dazzling everybody else. How many were speeding in an "inappropriate" place (i.e. in housing estates rather than on the motorway). How many were too close on the motorway - because we mustn't let anyone get in "our" space. How many in the middle lane mile after mile.

If a biker comes off he may kill himself, car driver will kill the entire bus queue with their arrogant bullying ways.
The points I was making were that:

a) Although bikers may understand their own mortality, they're not aware of how difficult it is for motorists to see them.

b) Riding on the rear quarter of a car, in the same lane as that car, when that car is already travelling at 80+ mph is as idiotic as cutting up (this is what was happening on Sunday evening) especially if you believe car drivers are blind idiots and haven't seen you - where's the sense?

c) Regardless of whether road users drive, bike, cycle, walk, or ride there are always some who have complete disregard for the safety of others, and complete self-assuredness in their own abilities.

Not all drivers speed in built-up areas. There are bikers who do speed in built up areas. Not all drivers tail-gate. There are bikers who tail-gate.

Simple generalisations and phrases such as the "arrogant and bullying ways [of car drivers]" are as likely to apply to some car drivers as they are to some bikers, some cyclists, some truck drivers, and some of most types of road users (with the possible exception of electric-powered milk-float drivers). The generalisations don't work.
Yes they do. Generally most car drivers are dangerous in their arogant ways. The point is the pedestrians et al will hurt only themselves (generally). Last week I was verbally abused by a driver in the outside lane who haveing indicated wanted to pull straight over into my lane, bullying by pretending to want to pull into me. I have just been out for lunch and seen a Mondeo parked right over the pavement because there are double yellow lines. He thinks that it is ok because he has his hazards on. My wife used to have to walk our eldest child to school in the road because car drivers think that pavements are car parks.

Why do you think each year there are so many accidents when the weather turns and gives us fog, ice, snow, and even darkness. You may pretend that the outside does not exist with your stereo on, air conditioning, double glazing, air bags, seat belts etc but there are some things you cannot bully and nature has a way of biting back.

It's funny that I generallly never get surprosed by the motorcyclists. Maybe it's because I use my mirrors.
Re: Parking Hogs - ian (cape town)
yesterday morning, coming into work.
Along behind (on a busy dual carriageway) comes a large MB ambulance - flashing red lights, siren, the whole shebang.
everybody (almost) slows down and dives into inside lane - except one woman, who continues to casually drive along at 60km/h, with the ambulance on her back bumper. at the next junction, he whips past on the inside, and goes haring off at speed.
2 minutes later, I pass the woman (me on the inside!) and she is nattering away on the phone...
Graham wrote:
>
> Yes they do. Generally most car drivers are dangerous in
> their arogant ways. The point is the pedestrians et al will
> hurt only themselves (generally). Last week I was verbally
> abused by a driver in the outside lane who haveing indicated
> wanted to pull straight over into my lane, bullying by
> pretending to want to pull into me.

But did all or most of them try or pretend to pull into you?

We'll have to disagree on whether all or even most car drivers are arrogant. You're likely to meet equal proportions of arrogant riders and motorists.

>>
My wife used to have to walk our eldest child to school in the road because car drivers think that pavements are car parks.
>>

And of course, no biker has ever parked on a pavement. . . There are more cars on the roads, therefore you're likely to see more examples of bad behaviour by motorists than motorcyclists. Similarly, you're more likely to see more examples of courteous behaviour by motorists than motorcyclists.

> Why do you think each year there are so many accidents when
> the weather turns and gives us fog, ice, snow, and even
> darkness. You may pretend that the outside does not exist
> with your stereo on, air conditioning, double glazing, air
> bags, seat belts etc but there are some things you cannot
> bully and nature has a way of biting back.

Crashes occur because people drive and ride too fast for the road conditions and their ability - be that near a school, on a near-deserted A-road, on a motorway, in fog, wherever. One of the most common types of motorcycle crashes involves no other vehicles at all: there are Police in North Yorkshire who provide guides to ride the interesting roads safely. It isn't a car thing, it's a people thing.

> It's funny that I generallly never get surprosed by the
> motorcyclists. Maybe it's because I use my mirrors.

Maybe it's because people who ride bikes are aware of the performance of motorcycles. Most motorists don't expect a car to try to squeeze through the 3' gap between them and the car to their left (or the central reservation, or the opposing traffic). If you've ridden a bike and ridden through gaps then, when you're in a car you will look out for people who may try exactly the sort of thing you've done. But as a rider who drives, I wouldn't attempt such a move on the assumption that I can - wait for the driver to see that I'm there and provide some indication that they've seen me.
I don't disagree with any of that.

Safe journey and best regards to you Neil.
Re: Parking Hogs - Brian
If you've paid for a space you are entitled to use it!
I have parked a folding caravan (chance for HJ to get into his anti-caravan mode) in a multi-storey supermarket car park (ground floor). Bit of a tight fit as it is 2 metres wide! But I was using the shop and didn't fancy leaving it on a yellow line.
To car drivers in the UK it's open season on motorcyclists the whole year round. London in the rush hour is somewhat mixed, a lot of drivers will let you through, realising that even if they can't move they may as well let you. However, this is offset by the minority who don't know what their mirrors are for, and I have seen 2 or 3 bikers knocked off for that reason.
Re: Parking Hogs - james S
Why buy a ticket. You could claim you bought one and that it was nicked, who could disprove that.
Re: Parking Hogs - CM
Its your responsibility to make sure it isn't taken.

There used to be a lot of parking bays for bikes in London. They used to be free but it is not in the interests of the councils to have too many of these as they take up space that a car could park in AND BE CHARGED.
Re: Parking Hogs - Matt Kelly
If you want to pay to stick your bike in a space I don't see why not, especially if it's a big one that migh restrict the space available to others.
Some people just don't recognise reasonable behaviour when they see it.
Re: Parking Hogs - Dave
"Although bikers may understand their own mortality, they're not aware of how difficult it is for motorists to see them."

We're painfully aware of how little observation drivers make.

A mate of a mate got hit on Saturday. The Guy who pulled out of the junction on him said his stiff neck prevented him looking both ways.

I'd say that was worse than drink driving. A rozzer might disagree.
"some cyclists"

No. All cyclists are a dangerous pain in the ar*e. ;-)

I agree it's not fair to generalize about other road users!
Re: Parking Hogs - Ian Cook
Growler

I really don't see that this should be an issue for you. In my view, a parking space is for a vehicle - if it is used by a car, the chances are that it is only carrying the driver. If it is in use by a motor cycle, so what?

Why, oh why can't some people (not you, Growler) just live and let live, instead of always looking for trouble and things to moan about. I expect what really happens when an irate motorist complains about bikes using cars spaces is the following thought process:

1 That motor bike could and should be parked in the motor bike section. Why doesn't he obey the rules (never mind if the rules are daft or irrelevant - Mr Busybody

2 If he had obeyed the "rules", I could have parked there - Mr Selfish

3 That motorbike's probably owned by a hooligan. Why is he even allowed in this car park, alongside us decent folk - Mr Prejudice

As a side issue, what are bikers supposed to do when a car driver parks in the motor cyle bay? I've seen that, many a time.

Ian
Re: Parking Hogs - ian (cape town)
I recall a few years back the motorcycle lobby were (rightly, IMHO) outraged at the Rangerover advert, showing the RR parked on motorcycles in a m/c parking area.
It seems a worldwide trend that the flasher the vehicle, the STUPIDER the parking! I often see big mercs and bmws in disabled bays, taxi ranks, next to fire hydrants, toddler bays, etc.
One d*ck in a ferrari, often parks in the road outside our building - in a box junction!
Utter joy... - ian (cape town)
Re: Parking Hogs - THe Growler
Thanks folks, I'll just carry on payin' 'n parkin'. She weighs only just the right side of 900 lb and is almost as big as a car anyway!

Actually I get treated well on the road. Maybe it's the size. I always try to ride right, and anyway you can't lane split with something that big. Be prepared for onlookers, all ages, all walks of life, either sex to stop and engage in conversation if you have a Hog. Way of life as much as a bike. Never goes out of date, not like the Yamazuki crotch rockets, comfortable to ride all day, depreciation minimal, especially if it's fully loaded. The ladies love 'em, believe me. You want to be Valentino Rossi, get yellow leathers, scream down the road, fine. The girls'll be talking to me not you.....

I've been pulled over by the law in UK and US just because they wanted to talk about the bike!

It's like having a Ferrari, you've done it, you don't have to prove anything: maybe that's why you get the respect on the road. Wrong analogy I know, but get the idea.

Enough, gotta get my order in for the 2003 Centenary Special Harley.

Too many posts today, time to slow down.
Ian, if only all car parks had bike sections.
The municipal ones usually do, but the private ones near my office do not, so it's find a space in the on-street bay, pay full whack or risk a £60 ticket.
Re: Utter joy... - Brian
Ian (Cape Town):

Love the photo of your car!
"Crashes occur because people drive and ride too fast for the road conditions and their ability "

Only a few of them. 75 per cent occur at junctions. Nothing to do with speed. 100pc observation!

"Maybe it's because people who ride bikes are aware of the performance of motorcycles."

ALL road users should be! I've never been a lorry driver but I empathise with their needs!
If people have failed to observe another vehicle or obstruction on the road, and have crashed, have they not been travelling too fast for their ability - the ability to observe and react to the events and conditions on the road?

It's not difficult to empathise with someone restricted to 60mph and creeping acceleration. On the other hand, it's quite a leap from 60mph in 10 seconds to 60mph in 4 seconds and a top speed of around 160mph.

I agree that people should be aware of the performance limitations of other road users. But I'm more than aware that many people aren't, and therefore I have a responsibility to them and to myself to make sure they're aware of me whether I'm driving, biking, cycling, or walking.

At junctions, expect people to pull out. When thinking of overtaking, expect someone to pull out.
As Dave says, the biggest killer is lack of observation, regardless of speed.

If someone pulls out on you at a junction or when you are overtaking it is because either they have not observed you or else have seen you but committed an error in judgement in relating your speed to their acceleration.

We have all heard about the two second rule for separation between vehicles behind each other in the same direction. The type of accident referred to by Neil is caused by not applying the same criteria when vehicles (plus bikes and pedestrians) are travelling at right angles to or towards each other.

Simply by applying a two second separation in ALL circumstances, most accidents would be avoided.
"At junctions, expect people to pull out. When thinking of overtaking, expect someone to pull out."

Amen to that Neil!

I try to always assume that an empty junction is about to be filled with a car thief about to pull out.

As an aside. I'm just back from a trip to th eCanry Islands where I hired a bike with a mate to try out the local mountain roads.

My nightmare scenario occured. Tight mountain hairpin. We both pagger it round at top pace to be comfronted by a low loader stationary *across* the road!

I was behind, and in hindsght it wasn't as close as it seemed but it woke us both up a bit.
Re: Parking Hogs - Pat
Many drivers go far too fast round blind corners. They have no idea what's round the corner and when they see an obstruction' it's usaully too late!

I had a lucky experience a few years ago in a Birmingham underpass. I approached the bend in the underpass at reasonable speed and noticed a refelection of red lights on the wall to my right. I braked to slow me round the bend, and found a queue of traffic in front of me. I stopped at the apex of the bend so following traffic could see me. Could have been an almighty pile-up!

A lot of drivers would have been unable to stop in time. Same applies to fog, brows of hills etc.

Safe driving.

Pat
Re: Parking Hogs - Tomo
I often wondered, if you park a Hog accidentally how can you ever pick it up - is that why they tend to go around in herds?
Galent vr4 - Gerry Crowther
I have a Mitusbishi Galent VR4. Having problem when driving in snow. The front brakes judder when the brakes are applied, as if snow was getting between the disk. Can anyone throw any light on the matter?
Re: Galent vr4 - Brian
Pat
Good thinking on the light reflections.
I often use similar techniques to tell if something is coming even though out of sight, particularly shadows in daylight or the reflection of a light or vehicle in the side of another.
It's called doing your best to stay alive!
Shop windows are great for parking, too, you can see exactly how far you are from the vehicles fore and aft.
Parking Galants ?? - Pete W
Where do you put the parking ticket sticker on a bike, it will most definitely be nicked.

I was always under the impression that for this reason it is OK to park your bike in zones where parking tickets might otherwise be required ( in Cardiff you have to buy a card, scratch off your time arrival and jam this in the car window - obviously not possible on a bike ). This can also be extended to disabled bays. I am not condoning this as some element of responsibility to other road users is required but i'm sure this is correct. I did ask a rather nice looking traffic warden in Cardiff if I could park the bike in a ticketed zone but was very politely directed to a bike parking area a few hundred yards away in a dodgy backstreet.