ht leads - dipsomaniac
can anyone tell me if you should put contact grease in the caps when fitting new leads?
ht leads - DL
Depends on the fitment really. If the plugs are deeply recessed and have long leads/insulation sections to them, then the application of the proper grease (Ford do tubes of it) aids removal at a later date. I'm not sure if there is any 'electrical' benefit from applying this silicone ?? grease.
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words.....
ht leads - Pete M
I think silicone grease is excellent for any electrical contacts in the car. It repels water, and thus, corrosion while allowing electrical contact. I've been putting it on electrical connectors, especially HT leads, for many years. It is resistant to engine heat, so doesn't run when it gets hot. It also works the same as petroleum jelly on battery terminals, but better, as it doesn't dry out. Next to a tub of copper grease, this is probably second on the list of "must have" products.
ht leads - martint123
Pete - could you name an off-the-shelf silicone grease. I've been after some to clag up the multiway connectors on the bikes to prevent corrosion (probably too late) but I've not found any.
ht leads - local yokel
Don't know if it's the same spec, but silicone grease is easy to get in a plumbers' merchant. Would be fine on the bike, I'm certain. Couple of quid for jar/tub, ISTR.

ht leads - Pete M
(martint123)
Pete - could you name an off-the-shelf silicone grease. I've been
after some to clag up the multiway connectors on the bikes
to prevent corrosion (probably too late) but I've not found any.

I usually source silicone grease from electronic suppliers like Farnell or RS, but I suppose Maplin may have it too. It's a bit hard to remember as it lasts so long it can be years between purchases, not to mention relocation to the other side of the world.
ht leads - Roberson
I applied some 'contact grease' to my new HT leads. It was an old blue tube my dad had in the garage, perhaps that would be better? Very much like Vaseline in texture, so it?s probably just that, but in a tube!

ht leads - dipsomaniac
bought mine from ford. only a couple of £'s as stated earlier.
ht leads - Cliff Pope
It sounds as if it's the same product you get at Jewsons for making plastic waste pipes pop together. Not the adhesive - the appallingly slippery stuff that seems so difficult to wipe off your hands.