Ford Focus 99/T - Rockroller
The dashboard lights and rear lights failed on my 99T Focus 1.6 Ghia and a local Ford dealer diagnosed the main rotary switch as being at fault. The technician said that personally he had never known one fail before.

Now, 10 months & 4000 miles later exactly the same thing has happened again!

Anyone heard of this?

They'll fit the part free but charge me labour again.
Ford Focus 99/T - elekie&a/c doctor
I would suggest checking the fuses first.(cabin fusebox behind glovebox).There is 1 fuse that controls all the side/parking lights .If it is blown ,you need to check the wiring to the no. plate lights and wiring in the tailgate.The rotary switches do fail on these but this is usually caused by an incorrect fuse being fitted to this circuit so that if a short occurs the switch blows rather than the fuse.
Ford Focus 99/T - Rockroller
Thanks for that. It turned out to be a blown fuse & 2 blown bulbs, 1 causing a short.
Fixed for £16.00.

It makes me wonder if it was that last time instead of paying £100+ for a new rotary switch!

I've still got the old switch, is it good enough just to check the continuity of the contacts to prove if it's OK or not?
Ford Focus 99/T - MikeTorque
You could try asking for a refund, did you give them permission to do the orginal work on the switch ?
If not and then went ahead and did the work without your consent then you are entitled to a full refund, if not
then it's down to goodwill and/or a gentlemens agreement as a compromise.