How important is appearance of your car - umistim
When ready to change cars, how high up the list is the syle/look of the car that you are considering.
I am finding that I start with the appearance and then look at other considerations. How about you?
How important is appearance of your car - psi
it's very high on my list, I work out a list of anything I am interested in reliability & cost-wise, then chose the best looking from the shortlist.
How important is appearance of your car - Xileno {P}
It's top of my list. I must have a car I like looking at, both inside and out.
Comfort comes a very close second.
Third I must have lots of gadgets.
Not bothered about reliability or resale value.
How important is appearance of your car - Adam {P}
The order for me would be:

1. Looks
2. How it drives
3. Gadgets
4. Comfort

Looks are definitely paramount for me with comfort being low on the list. And to take all the fun out of it, I know full well what any of the usual suspects are going to say so...don't say it!!!
How important is appearance of your car - trancer
1. Looks
2. Comfort
3. Performance
4. Toys
How important is appearance of your car - P3t3r
I tend to look at cars as a whole, the car needs to do what I want it to do, and don't expect a car to be 100% perfect. However, if a car is very thirsty, looks VERY bad (eg. VW Beetle or 4x4), very slow, or uncomfortable I don't care what else is good about it I won't by it. I don't don't mind if the car just looks average though, as long as it is a good car.
How important is appearance of your car - Martin1981
1. Fuel economy and general running costs (student days have only just ended!)
2. Looks
3. Comfort
4. Performance
5. Practicality
6. Everything else.......

Martin
How important is appearance of your car - Citroënian {P}
I have a gold Fabia. So fairly low.

But we also have a black Citroen C4 coupe. So fairly high.

Horses for courses!!
-- You know, it\'s not like changing toothpaste
How important is appearance of your car - tyro
1. How much it costs
2. How spacious it is
3. How it drives

Yes, you can probably tell that I drive a Berlingo

As for looks - well, if my wife or I thought it looked really horrible - like the current R*****t M****e or H***a C***c, we might just think again.
How important is appearance of your car - Stuartli
If a car has clearly been well looked after than I tend to take the view that the owner has done so in other important areas as well.

Not infallible but a healthy guide.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
How important is appearance of your car - DP
1) Reliability (400-600 miles a week, 50 weeks of the year)
2) Fuel economy (see above)
3) Service/repair costs & ease of DIY
4) Space (littl'un and dog at weekends)
5) Equipment and comfort.
6) Anonymity (left in a public car park all day)

As long as a car is not offensively ugly, I can't say looks even enter the equation. I don't want anything that draws attention to itself because of where the car is parked all day.

That said, if my commute and daytime parking arrangements weren't such a big issue, you could wipe almost all of the above except reliability and equipment/comfort. Can't stand unreliable or uncomfortable cars.

Cheers
DP
How important is appearance of your car - DP
As for looks - well, if my wife or I thought
it looked really horrible - like the current R*****t M****e or
H***a C***c, we might just think again.

Proof that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, as I think these are two of the best looking cars in their class.
:o(

Cheers
DP
How important is appearance of your car - Statistical outlier
Proof that beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Absolutely. And also fickle. I detested the Megane when it first came out, now I like it (although wouldn't dream of buying one). And I think my Accord looks good, while many detest it.

For me:

1. reliability
2. power (*must* be enough for safe overtaking when loaded)
3. handling / comfort tradeoff
4. Looks / image (okay, I specced the larger wheels in the knowledge that this would reduce pt. 3, so maybe the other way round)
5. gadgets (as in climate and decent stereo, not pointless like electric seats and stuff)
How important is appearance of your car - y2k+4
1. Handling (grip, steering feel)
2. Looks
3. Power (over-taking)
4. Driving Position
5. Reliability
6. Comfort
7. Equipment (though never a car without ABS, a/c and CD)
8. Space (I'll borrow someone else's if I need more than a shopping spree)
How important is appearance of your car - daveyjp
Top of the list for me. If the new Honda Civic did 300 mpg, 0-60 in two seconds, didn't need servicing until 50,000 miles, a 20 year warranty I still wouldn't have one!
How important is appearance of your car - No FM2R
1) looks
2) other stuff

M.
How important is appearance of your car - Big Bad Dave
1) Highest spec, latest, largest model possible
2) Cost less than a months gross pay
How important is appearance of your car - Big Bad Dave
That was an error, should have been

1) Cost less than a months gross pay
2) Highest spec, latest, largest model possible
How important is appearance of your car - Chris75
1. Practicality for my needs
2. Reliability
3. Engine/performance
4. Running costs
5. Interior

Looks are well down the list. I just think most 'ordinary' cars are just that. I wouldn't really care if my car looked like a Mondeo, Vectra or Laguna. I drive an Accord Tourer at the moment.

I think looks come into it when you are looking at exotica / classics. But then this could just be rarity.

Interesting that no one has safety on the list!

I would have a 300C touring in a minute though if I could afford one, so maybe I?m talking nonsense.
How important is appearance of your car - turbo11
A combination of looks/practicality and reliability for me and obviously cost.For me the Mazda 6 fitted the bill perfectly.
How important is appearance of your car - BazzaBear {P}
There is an unknown formula which decided whether I'd even want to own a car in the first place, never mind how high on my list it would be, which definitely includes looks, so it is very important.
It is almost indefinable, but includes looks, performance, 'unusuality', style (which is generally entangled with the looks, but not always), and of course 'it'.
The vagueness of this formula probably explains why my short list for next car currently contains some very disparate cars (Alfa 156 GTA, Mitsubishi Galant VR4, Volvo S60R, etc.) and keeps growing.

But yes, looks are a very important part of it. I'd hate to drive just another Eurobox. I want a car which, when I walk across a car-park towards it, makes me smile.
How important is appearance of your car - strowger
Overall running cost is most important, but looks do matter.

It has to look fairly bashed-about so that people will let me in to gaps, not pull out on me, etc. Looking a bit ratty also helps keep the thieves from looking to closely at the vehicle or its contents.

I don't deliberately damage my vehicle's appearance - but I never wash anything other than windows, lights, and numberplates except just before the MOT.

Current vehicle came with a selection of dents and rusty scrapes for approx 2/3 the price of a clean and shiny example. Excellent stuff.

Ask Honest John

Value my car