Private advertising costs - Steve G
The cost of advertising a car for sale seems to have gone up a lot recently.The main two ,Exchange and Mart/Autotrader now charge about £ 22 p/w for a very basic advert. Find it surprising considering all the internet competiton.
Whenever you place a advert these days you seem to have more calls from companies wanting to advertise your car than potential buyers. I've started to put N/C for the first time.
Selling your car privately will allow you to obtain above trade value but if the costs keep going up this will soon wipe out any gain.
Re: Private advertising costs - David W
Steve,

Even our local FreeAds is getting tighter and tighter on car adverts. They will only allow one free week for a car, then it is chargeable. Also they are very restrictive on the amount you can sell in a year. Enough to trouble an enthusiast with two cars and a Land Rover who may wish to change vehicles frequently.

What they also do, if you phone in the ad, is to try and switch-sell you onto paying for the ad from week one and then paying less for the second week if it doesn't sell.

Cards in Sainsbury's still free though. Excellent for 340/360 Volvos.

David
Re: Private advertising costs - John Foley
David W

What is the connection between the Volvos and Sainsburys
Re: Private advertising costs - David W
John,

In the earliest days of the forum (well my time on it anyway) FIF and I had an "agree to disagree" on a specific case of what I termed "Profiling".

I think it does apply here though. If you want to sell a £30,000 Mercedes you need a special outlet. Same for a Hummvee. A Chieften Tank might need an ad in the Military mags....and so on.

But if you want to buy and sell Volvo 340/360s just the customer you're after is looking at the cards in Sainsbury's on a Thursday morning.

If you're looking for a car to buy under £1500 there are some ace ones to be found, in particular if the writing is a bit wobbly, a full address is carefully filled in and no mobile phone number.

David
Re: Private advertising costs - Andy Bairsto
Newspapers and all sorts of giveaway weeklys have a problem in sorting the genuine private seller from the trader acting in disguise .It gives the paper all sorts of problems regarding the payment of VAT and tax evasion and they have unilately increased charges to cover claims and expenses derived from Vat inspections . It is an offence to accept an advert from a trader who says he is a private person ,the problem is how can you tell,hence the three car or advert rule .The Custom and Excise in the UK have to be the best gestapo in the world
Re: Private advertising costs - Flat in Fifth
David W wrote:
>
> John,
>
> In the earliest days of the forum (well my time on it anyway)
> FIF and I had an "agree to disagree" on a specific case of
> what I termed "Profiling".
>
>

David,

I heard a rumour that was going to be nominated in the category, Most Amicable Agree to Disgree.

In this case I agree, you are right regarding this relatively benign form of profiling.

I'm waiting to see where the local bod will advertise the Stalwart ripe for restoration that is sitting in his field. I keep looking on the board in the local Co-op but don't want to seem too keen by making a direct approach. What do you advise? I fear he's advertising hoping to attract a rush of buyers from the North East, if they can manage the bus fare that is.

regards,
Stuart
Re: Private advertising costs - Flat in Fifth
David,

Swmbo's car going up in the Co-op/Tescos/Sainsbos etc in the near future.

I thought about posting a free car thread but just look what happened to the last one, ho hum another ploy shot to blazes.

Stuart
Re: Private advertising costs - richard turpin
LOOT is very good and hassle free.
Re: Private advertising costs - John Foley
David W

Thanks particularly for the wobbly writing advice

John