A500 Crewe / Nantwich bypass - George Porge
This 6 or so mile stretch of dual carriageway has to be one of the most accident prone stretches of road in the country. Virtually every time I use it I see the remains of single car accidents, usually involving lamp posts near to the 3 roundabouts that are too small for a 70MPH stretch of road, what were the planners thinking?

In the last month or so I've seen a BMW Cabriolet, an MGTF and today an Xtype Jag, all in day light. Then in the evening the boy racers arrive, I'm amazed there are'nt more deaths on this road
Ooops wrong forum, can mods move it for me please ;-)

Kicks across to Discussion - DD
A500 Crewe / Nantwich bypass - lordy
I often use this road when travelling to Nottingham from my home in Rhos-on-Sea. It is very easy to belt down these stretches at great speed when you have been stuck behind a load of caravans or lorries for twenty odd miles all the way through Cheshire. Yes, the roundabouts do tend to loom up rather quickly! Last time I went down here, I saw a Nissan Primera stuck up a bank in a hedge.

--
let me be the last to let you down....
A500 Crewe / Nantwich bypass - bimmer-driver
Anything that helps you to get out of Crewe quicker is a good thing.

Ben
A500 Crewe / Nantwich bypass - Bill Payer
Hmm ? I got done for speeding there not long after it opened. I was pretty miffed about it; it?s a brand-new, high standard, well engineered, no pedestrian road that should be quite capable of sustaining higher speeds.
The officer was standing on the last footbridge going towards Nantwich, and I?ve seen them there since on many occasions. The shape of the terrain results in anyone standing on the bridge being pretty well invisible against the western sky, particularly in the evening when I was bowling along at 85MPH. In fact when I was caught, the laser operator was standing to the side of the bridge, with trees behind him and wasn?t wearing a hi-viz jacket. It couldn?t have been better designed set-up for revenue collection.

I did see the MGTF the other day, but that?s the first accident I?ve actually come across there ? it was on the exit from one of the roundabouts. They can be pretty lethal cars in the wet, but it can only have crashed due to planting the accelerator pedal carelessly on the exit, which is just bad driving, not excess speed.

The roundabouts strike me as ridiculous from an environmental point of view ? they really are pretty tight, especially for HGV?s. Plus two of them are positioned immediately either side of fairly steep hill as the road crosses the railway line into Crewe. A tremendous amount of fuel must be wasted, and pollution unnecessarily caused, by vehicles accelerating to regain their previous cruising speeds.

I?m not aware there have been any KSI?s on the road, and it isn?t really helpful in getting out of Crewe ? the Crewe exit road joins the A500 only at the end of the dual carriageway,
A500 Crewe / Nantwich bypass - drbe
I was bowling along at 85MPH. In fact
when I was caught, the laser operator was standing to the
side of the bridge, with trees behind him and wasn?t wearing
a hi-viz jacket. It couldn?t have been better designed set-up
for revenue collection.

You did help him with his 'revenue collection' just a teensy - weensy bit by driving at 85MPH didn't you?
You did help him with his 'revenue collection' just a teensy
- weensy bit by driving at 85MPH didn't you?

Yes, and of course I don't do it now - I sit there at cruise controlled 70 while everyone flashes past. I wonder if the Bentley's on test from the factory have special dispensation - nothing can keep up with those as the accelerate away from the roundabouts.

The frustrating thing is the me, the car and the road are all perfectly capable of handling 85MPH. All the accidents discussed are at roundabouts where the speed involved was probably 20-30 MPH. It does annoy me that the focus is on the wrong thing.

I notice at the beginning of the road (Nantwich end) they've put a very short stretch of grippy road surface. That's quite common in Cheshire, and I did have a very big 'off' (luckily no damage) a few yrs ago from one of the Northwich (A556) roundabouts, in my RWD Sierra GLS (very cool, in their day, white over black cars) where the grippy stuff that I'd been relying on suddenly finished!

However I now drive a powerful RWD Merc auto and I've never had a problem on the A500 roundabouts, even though I try to work with the other traffic to straight-line them and to carry as much speed through as possible
A500 Crewe / Nantwich bypass - jonno
>>Yes, the roundabouts do tend to loom
up rather quickly! Last time I went down here, I saw
a Nissan Primera stuck up a bank in a hedge.

Those roundabouts are terrible, they spoil an otherwise beautiful stretch of road. Having to slow down from 70+ to 20 to negotiate the tighter ones is a pain. If you don't know how sharp the angle between the roundabout and the approach road is, you can very quickly find yourself in trouble as many people have. And of course, that sharp turn is perfectly hidden by the steep embankment - on approach, it's hard to believe there's a roundabout there. It's almost as if they want you to have an accident, the way it's camouflaged.

I'm not sure, but I don't think there are any advisory speed limit signs on approach, other than the so-vague-as-to-be-useless "SLOW - Roundabout". A '30' would give people a better idea what to expect, but even that's pretty optimistic for most vehicles and drivers. You just don't expect to have to slow down that much, one of them is really a 2nd gear job.

In the wet, I've found that you have to leave those roundabouts with a very light right foot - slippery doesn't even begin to describe it... what makes it all the more frustrating is that some of them really aren't necessary. They could just as well be junctions, or even not there at all (what IS that one with no exits for???).
A500 Crewe / Nantwich bypass - IanJohnson
I'm not sure, but I don't think there are any advisory
speed limit signs on approach, other than the so-vague-as-to-be-useless "SLOW -
Roundabout". A '30' would give people a better idea what to
expect, but even that's pretty optimistic for most vehicles and drivers.
You just don't expect to have to slow down that much,
one of them is really a 2nd gear job.

If there is a roundabout warning sign then there is a give way sign and you should be able to stop at the line. Especially if the visibility is limited.

Those who are not should not be driving!
A500 Crewe / Nantwich bypass - teabelly
I've only ever seen one accident aftermath on that road - on the exit of the roundabout before the one for Nantwich. 4 cars were involved and a merc was facing the wrong way. A slippery road warning sign has since appeared so it seems to be normal for rwd cars to lose it there. The road engineers should be finding out why.

The dangerous bit of the A500 is the ludicrous single carriageway stretch. Why that hasn't been uprated to a dual I'll never know.
teabelly
The next time you drive through just look at the tyre tracks over the round abouts, the felled lamp posts, chevrons and barriers. The Beamer lost it on a gentle bend, the Xtype (FWD? not a jag fan) just after the round about.
A500 Crewe / Nantwich bypass - teabelly
I think I saw those skid marks! The were a pair that headed straight into the armco. It can only be diesel or some other contaminent. I've accelerated briskly from all those roundabouts and have noticed there is a greasy feel (4wd kicks in on the skyline) more than you'd expect for tarmac like that.
teabelly
A500 Crewe / Nantwich bypass - y2k+4
Those roundabouts all over the place are enough to make anyone drive into a hedge...I'm not a fan of any part of the A500. Especially not in Stoke. Does anyone actually know when they'll finish it - because the seem to have achieved very little in the last year I've been uni'ing there.
A500 Crewe / Nantwich bypass - stevied
How exciting, a Nantwich-based discussion!!! : )

I use that road a lot, primarily to get to the M6 or Stoke-on-Trent from Nantwich.

The boy racers are there late at night but are easily avoidable, you can hear them from Sandbach.... cynical note here, amazing how the police are there in the day to clock normal people slightly over the limit but can't be bothered to book the chavvy scum late at night isn't it? Any Crewe-based coppers want to comment on that? Lazy toerags.

The "pointless" roundabout with no exits is in preparation for a link road to Weston Road in Crewe. If it is ever built....
A500 Crewe / Nantwich bypass - blue_haddock
The dangerous bit of the A500 is the ludicrous single carriageway
stretch. Why that hasn't been uprated to a dual I'll never
know.

Exactly my feelings too - this road used to be part of my daily commute to work and it was always this section that caused the problems, i've never had any problems with the series of largely pointless islands though.
A500 Crewe / Nantwich bypass - Pugugly {P}
I now realise I actually rode this road a feww weeks ago on my bike, dull usy stretch from memory, stopped in Sandbach for breakfast, a town infamous for it's sausage rolls.
A500 Crewe / Nantwich bypass - Adam {P}
I did the other night - or at least I think I did. It was when I went to a restaurant near Wilmslow and then went the long (very long!) way back.

I got blown off by two Bentleys on some bypass with roundabouts on. It's like I wasn't even trying! There are some posh cars round there!
got blown off by two Bentleys

I passed a couple of Bentleys - guess they're factory cars.
Not sure - this was at about 11pm. Unless they get to take them home.

In which case, someone get me a job at Bentley!
A500 Crewe / Nantwich bypass - stevied
There are a lot of factory cars about, but I do know a couple of owners in the area as well. And if you go to Alderley Edge/Wilmslow, they're as common as Focii in the rest of the UK!

Factory cars tend to be DK plates, some of the press cars have private ones.
I drove through the centre of Wilmslow too - a £263,000 Roller parked up on double yellows behind a DB9 and then a Vanquish!

A500 Crewe / Nantwich bypass - BazzaBear {P}
I drove through the centre of Wilmslow too - a £263,000
Roller parked up on double yellows behind a DB9 and then
a Vanquish!

I get the feeling, had you glanced to your right, you'd have seen the Aston Martin dealership they were parked outside ;)
A500 Crewe / Nantwich bypass - Armitage Shanks {p}
That would have been carp overpaid footballers picking up a take-away!
Ohhh yes - I saw the Aston Martin dealership! Both had private plates on though - I assumed either the managers are on too much money or they were in for servicing work!

I doubt I'd even get in the tattiest looking bar - even in my best suit....I doubt I could afford to!
>> The dangerous bit of the A500 is the ludicrous single
carriageway
>> stretch. Why that hasn't been uprated to a dual I'll
never
>> know.
Exactly my feelings too - this road used to be part
of my daily commute to work and it was always this
section that caused the problems, ....

I guess the problem is that it's the motorway roundabout / junction that's the bottleneck. That would need to be completely rethought, perhaps with a straight through run for the A500. Presumeably the cost / disruption is a big issue.
guess the problem is that it's the motorway roundabout / junction that's the bottleneck

Some woman in an SUV got the PU finger here for pulling out in front of me here, how the hell she could have missed seeing me, the GS is hardly invisible is it ?
>> guess the problem is that it's the motorway roundabout / junction
>> that's the bottleneck
Some woman in an SUV got the PU finger here for
pulling out in front of me here, how the hell she
could have missed seeing me, the GS is hardly invisible is
it ?

Without doubt, one of the main issues at that roundabout is that people drive around it *far* too fast, especially from the A500 Stoke direction and off the M6 Northbound. It makes leaving the A500 from the Crewe direction a very dicey operation, particularly for HGV's, which is what causes the bottleneck.