C5 hydraulic leak steering/suspension. - Timaru
Hi - The power steering on my 2.2 estate (2003) has been noisy and there have been traces of hydraulic fluid on the garage floor.

My local (very good) independent garage have just had a look at it and traced the leak to the back of the engine bay but can't get to it without dropping the sub frame to make the repair.

My question is - can this leak be suspension related as the manager says as I thought the steering and the suspension on the C5 were separate systems.

Can anybody shed any light on this and should I take it to a Citroen dealer?

Thanks in advance, Jon.

C5 hydraulic leak steering/suspension. - neil
Steering and suspension (and brakes) are all separate systems on C5, unlike earlier Cits. (Something to do with the US market - the Xantia and BX weren't type approved for US import because they had combined suspension and brakes systems).

Bearing in mind it has a 3 year warranty, at least (and possibly 5 on the hydro-bits, if memory serves?) I'd be off to my Cit dealer. (Possibly the only circumstances under which I'd ever utter those words!)

Cheers - hope that helps

Neil
Actually, on second thoughts I suspect I'm wrong (always a first time!) about the steering being separate... certainly the brakes are 'normal' and separate but I have a feeling the steering may not be... doesn't alter the advice I gave though!

Cheers
N
C5 hydraulic leak steering/suspension. - Quinny100
Steering is "normal" and independant of the suspension hydraulics on the C5. The suspension only uses a small electric pump with an LDS fluid reservoir, the steering uses a belt driven pump with normal a PAS fluid.
Ah - that's a relief... I was right the first time then...! Phew!

N ;-)
C5 hydraulic leak steering/suspension. - happytorque
Hmmm.......Ive got a C5; brakes powered like any normal car. Brake fluid and a dirty great servo. Steering and suspension are served from a massive common reservoir which is full of LDS fluid. There is deffo no separate steering fluid tank.
Perhaps not all C5's are the same?
Where is the PAS fluid reservoir supposed to be?.....cus im gonna go and look for it.
C5 hydraulic leak steering/suspension. - bignick
PAS pump is belt driven and situated just above the alternator - system is fed from the big LDS reservoir.
Suspension pump is electric and all in one with a small reservoir attached.
Brake fluid reservoir is on top of the master cylinder.
C5 hydraulic leak steering/suspension. - happytorque
No small reservoir attached to my suspension pump im afraid....seems to supplied from the big LDS tank as far as i can tell by a 10mm rubber pipe??
C5 hydraulic leak steering/suspension. - Timaru
As much as it goes against the grain I'm beginning to think that the Citroen dealership may be the safer option. It sounds as though there might be a big difference between the HA3 and HA3 systems re. reservoirs and pumps.

Also I hope to God they topped it up with LDS fluid and not LHM (or whatever the old stuff was called).
C5 hydraulic leak steering/suspension. - pinheadplanet

Hi Jon,

How did you fix this in the end, I think I might have the problem.

Did you take to Citroen? How much did it cost to fix?

Thanks

Kelv