Italian Tune Up - akey
I have read numerous recommendations for the Italian Tune up in posts on these forums. I must admit to not knowing what it meant so I have done some research which leads me to ask the question, whilst I would have no problems in red lining a petrol engine, I am very concerned to red line a common rail diesel engine.
I hope I have understood the concept right but it basically suggests to me that you have to cane your car to get it as hot as possible. This sounds pretty unhealthy to me, I just wondered what the general concensus was, especially on a high tollerence diesel lump (ford 2l 130 TDCi)
Italian Tune Up - bell boy
if its well serviced and used within manufacturers guidelines then an italian tune up would not be necessary...............
Italian Tune Up - Altea Ego
No problem what so ever in pushing a diesel engine to its rev limiter. Done it regularly with every diesel I have had, and they always respond well to it afterwards.

Cruise along in a gear lower than you would to run it 1000 revs below the limiter for a couple of miles, then take it to the limiter a couple of times.,

Once a month is fine.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
You only need to see the rubbish and muck that comes out the back!
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Italian Tune Up - martint123
if its well serviced and used within manufacturers guidelines then an italian tune up would not be necessary...............

Unless its been only used for short runs and never gets warmed up properly. (I dunno if this is in the manufacturers guidelines?).

I still don't know why people are afraid to take a diesel to the red line on the road. If it would imminently blow up, then the manufacturer should put the red line and limiter at a lower rev limit. A diesel rev band is so narrow anyway you would need something like a lorry gearbox with 20-odd gears to make progress.
seen many diesels with warped heads ,smoking ,sounding like the skeleton in the dustbin,but ive never killed one myself,the only time i take a diesel to the limit is fully loaded and and on an incline (oh and it says transit on the badge)petrols rev em all day if they are short stroke, diesel ? keep them in the torque band revving the nuts off them in the wrong gear just kills them............
Italian Tune Up - akey
My car is pretty fragile and seems to get through parts more than I fill it up with diesel!!! So if I kill it maybe Ford will give me a car tthat actually works! Looks like a plan...
Seriously though is there any other way of cleaning out all the rubbish from the engine? I know there are products such as 10K boost and so on,just wondered if these might be a little less harsh on my already delicate engine or would it be like adding grinding paste to my oil?
Italian Tune Up - jc2
You won't redline a diesel(except possibly down a steep hill) because the governor will cut in first.I regularly drive my diesel car(FORD) up and down France as hard as it will go and have never had the slightest problem.
Italian Tune Up - Xileno {P}
Unless the engine is in poor health, then taking it to the cut-out does no harm at all. I do this regularly in my diesel, once the engine has warmed up. Infact earlier this year when I had a flat spot, the dealer actually told me to do it. No problems since.
Modern common rail diesels are designed to rev, they're not like the awful old chug-boxes of last decade.
Italian Tune Up - Armitage Shanks {p}
I actually drive my 110bhp 1600cc Hdi quite gently; I have a x-country route to work and back and always come home in the dark, whatever the time of year. However, I have noticed that the autmatic cleaning cycle for the particle filter is activating at least twice a week, shown by the car sitting with the cooling fan roaring away for 10 minutes when I park. I am probably using the wildly expensive EOLYS fluid faster than I am burning diesel! I am going to give it a bit of a belting next week when I am on some A roads!
Italian Tune Up - akey
I dont mean to detract from the subject but what is EOLYS fluid?
I dont mean to detract from the subject but what
is EOLYS fluid?

its a way of getting you into the pewgot dealers to empty your wallet.....
eolys= the elixior of life =empty pockets
it injects into the fuel tank as you drive so that the emmissions are euro compliant (some day all systems will have this kerfaddle)
do a google for a full explanation or ask at your local friendly pewgot dealer or not as the case may be.....
Italian Tune Up - akey
Thanks for the explaination Oldman. It made me laugh until I looked it up on google! I take it only Pugs use this system at the moment? Think ford need to get their diesels to work before they get too clever!
I am going to take my car out and try the Italian tune up method for myself in an hour or so, think I will get the AA on standby first. I will post the results a bit later on!
Italian Tune Up - Armitage Shanks {p}
Any EU4 compliant diesel made by PSA and with a particle filter uses the system. Other makes have to be EU4 compliant since 1 Oct 05 but I don't know what technology they use to achieve the requirements.
Everyone else managed to make their diesels Euro IV compliant with out this BODGE

TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Italian Tune Up - akey
I was just under the impression that euro 4 diesels just had to have a particle filter. Seems like diesels especially are becomming too complicated for their own good.
As for the itailian tune up, I have tried it and it scared me silly!
I do have a few observations though:
In third gear at 3000RPM, the engine was I can only describe as lumpy.
Again in third at 4500 the engine was surging and less than smooth, this is right on the red line so that may be normal.
Also, when I got home, I feft the car to idle for a few minutes to settle and a horrendus smell was coming from somewhere, I assume this is normal and it is just all the rubbish being burned off.

I have not been back out to try the car again but nothing has fallen off so it looks like we are ok
Italian Tune Up - Xileno {P}
Renault use the FAP filter which purges itself.
Italian Tune Up - jc2
There are Euro IV compliant diesels that don't use the expensive French route.
Italian Tune Up - ajit
having taken my honda for a track day - no no - not on the limit stuff but focusing on getting the lines proper at high speeds, after 4 hours on track, car was even better to drive in terms of response.

Two aspects - one -all the moisture "cobwebs" blown out and two: the ECU relearns the driving style and maps accordingly
Italian Tune Up - mss1tw
Where did you do this ajit? Sounds like a great day!
Italian Tune Up - glowplug
I find it amazing that owners/drivers are unwilling to redline their cars but are quite willing to abuse their own body, smoking, drinking, bad diet, etc. Cars can be fixed...

Just so you know I do drink, my diet's so so, I don't do enough exercise and I'm quite willing to redline motors now and again. I did it to my father in laws Toyota on Friday. It sounded much better afterwards!

Steve.
---
Xantia HDi.

Buy a Citroen and get to know the local GSF staff better...
Italian Tune Up - ajit
Where did you do this ajit? Sounds like a great day!

Actually did it in India- I live in Bangalore, the track is in Madras (320 km - 4 hours away). Say a lot for the honda - drove it on Sat morning, reached around lunch time. Madras is around 35 degree C !!!. Do checks on the car, change to some nearly new tyres (plenty of folks keep up grading!) and get going from 3.30 till 6.30 (not continuous)

Next day - went in a 6.30 am (had track all to myself) and drove for a an hour. Tyres were worn down, went out for breakfast. Returned and slapped the Yoko's on. 7 laps and then drove back to Bangalore. Car was much responsive after that.

Enough ratholing - another alternative to make your car peppier- not sure if it works on ultra high tech cars needing dealer resets) is to disconnect the battery for 10 min to make the ECU forget the normal settings. Reconnect and drive a la Italian Tune Up - ECU will then remember performance map as more richer feeds etc.