Renault Kangoo stereo question - mattr
My wife will be taking delivery of a new Kangoo in the next few days. It comes with a radio/cassette unit as standard which she wants to upgrade to a radio/CD unit.

If somebody like Halford fit a stereo unit for us will we lose the dash mounted radio display and steering wheel controls?

Cheers
Renault Kangoo stereo question - Altea Ego
Wait till it arrives, but it should be a "tuner list" radio. You look on ebay, for CD version of the same radio, and simply pop the old one out and a new on in. All works ok, display and steering wheel controls.

Did this upgrade on SWMBO's clio. took all of three minutes including putting in the code.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Renault Kangoo stereo question - Dynamic Dave
It comes with a radio/cassette unit as standard which she wants to upgrade to a radio/CD unit.

Is it not possible to ask the garage if there is a different stereo that could be fitted as an optional extra? One of my Dad's previous Astra's came with a basic stereo. The garage swapped it for the next model in the range and just charged him the difference between the two stereos.
Renault Kangoo stereo question - Falkirk Bairn
The garage swapped it for the next model in the
range and just charged him the difference between the two stereos.

Seems the most sensible route - I paid £50 to move from tape player to CD on my last car.

They tried to get me to pay £100s for a top quality CD version but as I listen to the radio mostly
there was no real advantage. CD is long journeys only in my case.
Thanks for the reply guys.

TVM - I was hoping to avoid the possible pitfalls of ebay buying, but that is a possibility. By the by, what does 'tuner list'radio mean?

DD - the vehicle is a wheelchair adapted vehicle so is being delivered direct from conversion company.

Cheers
Tuner list is the type of radio. Its made by VDO for renault, and has "tuner list" on the front, so its known as the tuner list radio. Its beauty is that its a drop in replacement for the old one and everything fires up first time with no hastle and display and steering wheel controls work.,

The tuner list radio has been installed unchanged as the renault base radio for about the last 5 years, they are all plug and play.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Renault Kangoo stereo question - redviper
Hi

When i went to Halfords to ask about the same thing for my laguna (Dash display and steering coloumn remote)
they said that it was only Sony that would be compatible (fair enough0 but i would have to but the cable adaptor for £50 or they wouldnt fit it, when i told them that you can buy then from dealers of the net for around £10 - they said that we they would not fit it unless i bought the adapter from them,

I declined their offer

--
1983 (A) Vauxhall Astra 1.3L
1993 (K) Vauxhall Cavalier 2.0i GLS
1999 (T) Renault Laguna 1.6
Renault Kangoo stereo question - bell boy
i agree with halfords as they dont know the quality and would get the pain if anything went wrong
Probably because you were talking about two different things.,The £10 cable adaptor does not drive the display. The £50 one does.

TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Update - I contacted my local Renault dealer just out of interest. To supply and fit one of their cd units will cost £300-£350, forget that then!

In a moment of refreshing honesty the dealer advised (as written above) that Halfords can supply a Sony unit that will allow the use of the steering wheel controls for less money. I think I'll pay Halfords a visit and see what the total cost will be for a fitted unit.

There's still the option of the ebay replacement but I don't like to spend more than I can afford to lose on ebay.
Renault Kangoo stereo question - redviper
"Probably because you were talking about two different things.,The £10 cable adaptor does not drive the display. The £50 one does."

Without wanting to quibble the one i looked claimed to, but as i never got it i cant say for sure., however i still object to paying £50 for a plastic plug and a bit of cabling.
--
1983 (A) Vauxhall Astra 1.3L
1993 (K) Vauxhall Cavalier 2.0i GLS
1999 (T) Renault Laguna 1.6
Be warned - the cheap sony units cant drive the renault display, they dont have the right interface.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
TVM

The Sony unit may not drive the dash display, but the display will be on the front of the stereo unit itself. This should still be cheaper than paying £350 for the Renault unit.
or 50 for an ebay unit
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >