M6 toll - oily
Hi,

I've got a journey to Silverstone next month and have just run the start and end points through the AA route finder. The journey is quite straightforward, mostly all motoway, but it does say to use the M6 toll road. I've no real problem with using this section of motorway, but ...... do I NEED to use it or is there a toll free alternative and if I use it exactly how much will the toll be ? I expect to be passing through sometime in the wee early hours if this makes any difference.

Thanks in advance,

Oily.
M6 toll - Armitage Shanks {p}
The toll free alternative is the M6! Google for "M 6 Toll" and you find current info on toll charges etc
M6 toll - bignick
M6 should be reasonably clear in the "wee small hours" so save the money - well worth using the toll during daylight though as the M6 can be a nightmare!!

Cant recall the layout heading south but I do know that heading north you have to filter off for the M6 - the toll is cunningly set as straight on to trap the unwary.
M6 toll - Armitage Shanks {p}
Going Southbound on the M6 you exit for the Toll Mway at a new exit called 11a - it is a definite turn off the M6. As has been pointed out above, if Northbound you stay on what appears to be the M6 at Junction 3a and get to the toll; you have to trun off down a slip road at 3a to stay on the M6.
M6 toll - aahbarnes
Going Southbound on the M6 you exit for the Toll Mway
at a new exit called 11a - it is a definite
turn off the M6. As has been pointed out above,
if Northbound you stay on what appears to be the M6
at Junction 3a and get to the toll; you have to
trun off down a slip road at 3a to stay on
the M6.

I'm sure it's the other way around when going Northbound, you keep going straight on for the M6 toll and take the left hand lane for the M6.
M6 toll - Chad.R
IIRC going both ways the "straight ahead" is the toll road but there is ample opportunity to filter off - if you're that "unwary", then you must be asleep! ;-)
M6 toll - bignick
asleep!!! - lol - let the cruise control, satnav, rev limiter, lane departure warning system, automatic braking system etc do their job while I read a book1
M6 toll- Booth details - henry k
.... use the M6 toll road. I've no real problem with using this section of motorway, but ......

See www.m6toll.co.uk/default.asp?mainmenuid=1

If you use it then of course you have to pay , but which booth to go to?

Their signage en route is useless for this. There is none but plenty telling you the charges.

see www.m6toll.co.uk/pricing/howtopay.asp?mainmenuid=4
Else you arrive at the plaza trying to work out what the clever signs mean and at the same time trying to select the required lane while all the regulars ignore the 30mph limit a whizz round the strangers.

I enquired about the signage being rubbish. The reply was "Oh we used to have some A signs but not now"
Brilliant!!!

You can get a free credit sized fold up guide from the booths. It has a good map .
M6 toll- Booth details - oily
Thanks all,
it seems the charges ain't too high so I might give it a go anyway ....... it'll depend on whether or not I get "caught out" by the signage I suppose.

Oily.
M6 toll- Booth details - IanJohnson
There are currently TWO sets of roadworks on the M6 between the ends of the toll road and both have speed cameras, also once committed there are even fewer diversion routes than normal as some ju8nctions are closed due to the works.

That stretch of the M6 is never quiet, as volumes drop less uses the toll road.

If you have time to spare use the M6, if you want to be sure when you get to the other end use the toll - reduced rate at night as well.
M6 toll- Booth details - IanJohnson
Going north you do not join the toll road until Junction 9 of the M42 where the Toll Road and M42 separate but having got that far it is a pain in the neck to get back to the M6.

Where the M6 and Toll road separate there is an un-tolled link to the M42 north - works for M42 south to M6 as well and is much faster than the A446 past Coleshill.