Bye Bye Imperial Measures - bedfordrl
I noticed in the letters section in one of the classic car mags one of the letter writers moaning that the feature writers were using metric measurements when imperial was more appropriate ie for spanner sizes etc.
Well have a butchers at ts.nist.gov/ts/htdocs/200/202/EUDirective.htm .
The gist of a meeting between EU reps and United States reps was the fact imperial measurements after 2010 will be outlawed and that includes usage in Magazines and Books.
Bye Bye Imperial Measures - Xileno {P}
Going down the pub for a litre just doesn't sound right.
Bye Bye Imperial Measures - Chicken Vindaloo
"Going down the pub for a litre just doesn't sound right."

And I doubt the Proclaimers would be too keen on singing "804.5 kilometers" instead of "500 miles".....
Bye Bye Imperial Measures - Vin {P}
But what about the phrase in that document:

"The comments made were individual assessments and reactions reflecting the current thinking of EU authorities and based on the current state of affairs. The comments made are not binding nor should they be taken to represent official EU positions. "
All i can say is read the rest.
This is a nation of jobsworths and the memory of the metric martyrs are still fresh in mind.
I did not get to vote for entry into the EU or EEC as i was a kid ,but my parents did and they wanted fresh food out of season to this country not Newspeak as per 1984.
Bye Bye Imperial Measures - bell boy
I can see for kilometers and kilometers................. The Who
michael miles open the box...................micheal kilometers open the box
what will she do mister????.........................she will top 127 kilometers lad
i get 7 kilometers to a euro ...........
now youve fitted that new window it looks kilometers better?
Bye Bye Imperial Measures - Altea Ego
now let me see, moving to Metric matters in what way exactly? How is my life going to be destroyed? I recall the last time I went to France I was paralysed and rendered impotent by all those kilometres and litres.
Is it because ofthe 75cl bottles of wine I drink? or the 33cl bottles of beer?
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Bye Bye Imperial Measures - No FM2R
>>moving to Metric matters in what way exactly?

I'm with you. What a silly thing to care about.

I've tried to hate litres of beer, but I just can't.
Bye Bye Imperial Measures - Big Bad Dave
The last taboo for me was the litres per 100km thing. Couldn't get my head round the switch from distance per set amount of fuel to amount of fuel over a set distance - and then the imperial conversion on top of that. In the end I re-set the trip computer to l/100km and after a couple of weeks it became second nature.

I think it's only us Brits who get hung up on the size of their beer. I've no idea how big a beer is out here in Poland, I just order a small one if I'm driving and a large one if I'm not. What I'm less happy about are the gay vase-shaped glasses and the 10cm of froth on top.
Bye Bye Imperial Measures - Lud
Going down the pub for a litre just doesn't sound right.

Sounds a pretty big drink by our standards.
Bye Bye Imperial Measures - Red Baron
I,m not really bothered one way or the other. The thing that does irritate me is the ongoing presence of both - means you have to have everything twice, just incase 3/8 inch isn't quite 10mm.

Don't forget, some of the European countries also had imperial-type weights and measures long ago. Such as Zoll (for inch) or Pfund (for pound weight).
Bye Bye Imperial Measures - mare
Ditto Red Baron. Prefer to go with metric and be compatible with everyone else (OK except the US)
Bye Bye Imperial Measures - Tomo
Metric is a dreadful nuisance. I have to do conversions to real units to know such things as whether I can lift something or to "see" a length in my head.

Bye Bye Imperial Measures - Armitage Shanks {p}
We are English! We want Yeomen of the Guard, roast beef, real ale and Morris dancing! Bring back rods poles and perches I say. If I want strange measurements, frogs legs, snails, bizarre bathroom plumbing and hairy armpitted people I can go to France for them! We are so muddled up now that it is a joke! It is illegal to sell vegetable in lbs and oz but a man who opened a German style pub was told he had to sell his beer in pints - the authentic litres were illegal. But we buy out fuel in litres! Perhaps it is to try and hide the price!
Bye Bye Imperial Measures - Westpig
would you actually want a hairy armpitted person?
Bye Bye Imperial Measures - none
I see that one well known tool supplier (Draper or Sealey) are now marketing 'unifit spanners'. They claim that some of their new range of tools fit all nut and bolt sizes, eg Metric, AF and BSF/ Whitworth.
I've known this for years, and many of the old spanners and sockets in my toolbox now work as metric tools. Like Tomo, I have to convert mm. to inches before I can visualize a size. For example 24mm means a bit less than an inch to me, and 15/16" will do nicely.
Another thing that's a bit odd - with sockets anyway - is that the drive size remains unchanged. Always imperial, from 1/4" to 3/4".
Bye Bye Imperial Measures - Stuartli
>>They claim that some of their new range of tools fit all nut and bolt sizes, eg Metric, AF and BSF/ Whitworth. >>

Nothing to claim really. Like you I've long been aware that some of my Draper metric ring and open spanners (and they are around 30 years old) also match certain AF sizes as near as makes no difference. Can be useful to know at times.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Bye Bye Imperial Measures - kithmo
Sounds a pretty big drink by our standards.

>>
Eee that takes me back, I remeber the Beer Kellars in Sheffield back in the 70's, where you had a Stein (a litre ?) of lager and danced on (and mostly fell off of) the tables with yer flares and tank tops.
Bye Bye Imperial Measures - Avant
If Jesus Christ wanted us to go metric he'd have had ten apostles.

And surely Moses forgot 2 commadments in that long waslk down Mount Sinai.

Seriously, industry has gone metric with good reason, but individuals should have the freedom to choose. I can see the point of decimal currency but not degrees Centigrade, or kilometres - which people will pronounce as if it were a measuring instrument (as in thermometer) - it should be as in centimetre.

And yet.....when were car engine sizes first measured in cc rather than cubic inches? Before the 2nd World War I think.
Bye Bye Imperial Measures - Pugugly {P}
Metric measurments was a Napoleonic plot to spread his influence. How many kilometers is from Paris to St. Helena again ??
Bye Bye Imperial Measures - robcars
I understand the problem (mentally) of changing from imperial to metric. It was like decimilisation. The older people just couldn't understand it; and for them I am sorry. But it is a better system and should be adopted here, (but not forced!) With time it would naturally change!

However, what bothers me more is why are we so adamant to keep our money as pounds? I don't fully agree with the EU, but if we are in lets be in it properly so we get some of the benefits and not just the aggro.

If our curency was Euro's you would understand prices across europe much easier and compare properly. It still gets spent no matter what you call it ! And our financila position is not what it was so its us thats losing out in the exchange rates, not the other way round. 2 years ago a pound was worth Euro 1.75. Now its around 1.45 ??
Bye Bye Imperial Measures - Screwloose

The whole problem with the metric system is that it's an arbitarily imposed set of [albeit interconnectable] useless-sized measurements. The reason that all the various "Imperial" measurements existed was that they had been user-selected over millenia, from an almost infinite range of alternatives, as the perfect measurements for that particular purpose. Imposing a single, unified, system has just proved - yet again - that "one size fits no-one."

Gallons were more appropriate for manually-handled liquid purposes; engineers machined in inches [no; never silly fractions - decimal inches - remember "thou?"] Builders had feet and inches [much faster to order - and easier to remember] and surveyors used yards [not much difference there] and joined farmers in using acres; [another much more usable size than hectares.]

Observation seems to indicate that scales of 0-100 fit any particular purpose best. 0-100 deg Farenheit covers the average air temperature of most of the populated areas of the world. So why does the weather forecaster need to use a clumsy scale that is only relevant to the freezing and boiling points of water? [Do they know something about global warming that they're not telling us....]

The danger of imposed, awkward, units is that, inevitably, they will be corrupted by their users. Can you really imagine a builder asking a supplier for "Two thousand, four hundred millimeters of one hundred millimeter by fifty millimeter deal, please" when "8 foot of four-be-two" sounds much more "professional" and is still being routinely used - even for "metric wood." [It's quite fun to watch how fast the the young lads in the builder's merchants - brought up to be exclusively metric - eagerly cotton-on to these "obsolete" - but very handy - units.] We now have "metric inches" [25mm] and "metric feet" [300mm] in common use - no chance of any misinterpretations and conflicts there then... [Well... if French housewives can buy apples in half-kilo "punds"....]

The history of unpopular, centrally inflicted, systems does not bode well for the metre. The Americans still have a major say in international engineering conventions and seem to be rapidly retreating from their flirtations with "this stoopid Uropeen size." Emergent engineering superpowers in the Far East see the US as their main market and are far from naive at selling what the American public want to buy. Flick-switch re-dimensioning in most digital engineering eqipment means that choice has returned and user convenience will always win in the end. Anyone like to speculate at which bits of the metric system will still be around in a hundred years.
A measurement is a goddam measurement. Doesn't matter what the numbers are or what it's called.

I am firmly reactionary on this one.

Thumb, forearm, bladder: variety is the spice of life.

Metric system was invented, like Esperanto. And it doesn't really deserve to be any more successful than Esperanto.

(Cue for three obsessive backroomers to reveal that they are closet Esperantists).
Sed kompreneble.
Bye Bye Imperial Measures - Number_Cruncher
It's unusual for me to disagree with you Screwloose, but I think metric will win out.

Science, even in the US, is now routinely done in metric - anyone presenting a technical paper for an international journal will do so in metric. If you try to do any serious calculation in physics or engineering, you just end up with nonsense if you do it in imperial - having tried to decipher some Boeing calcs, I can only describe them as perverse. So, for any work I have done for an American client, I have first converted from nonsense units into more sensible Newtons, metres, litres, etc, done the calculation, then on the last line converted back.

So, as things spin out from science, they will tend to do so predominantly in metric.

On the other hand, during normal travel, I can't picture a kilometre, and I can't imagine buying a litre of beer.

Number_Cruncher
Bye Bye Imperial Measures - Thommo
Don't think there is anybody more anti EU than me but thus is one thing I do agree with.

Imperial measures are just weird and largely just result from historic legacies. Have a little book from the 1930's that shows stuff like chains and drachms. All very nice and twee but this is the modern world and metric measurement are when alls said and done logical.

I am all for it.
NC

I actually agree that in fields like academia the metric system will stay - simply because it is so fully integrated and is thus by far the best suited system for that particular purpose. It's use in stand-alone applications is where it will either corrupt or disappear altogether.

If someone had come to an old-fashioned engineer in the fifties and said that they were going to do away with the perfectly-suited inch [0-100" covers 99.9% of all machined components and the "thou" is the perfect unit for that job] and replace it with a millionth of a metre; something around a 25th of an inch and then nothing until you get to a bit longer than a yard, they would have been laughed at and told not to be so stupid - or phrases to that general effect. Metric thread pitches are far inferior to UNC and UNF which nicely covered all but a few "special pitch" applications. [Non-fractional metric bolt-head sizes are perhaps an improvement - although a simple numerical system could have evolved for Imperial if it had been needed.]

It's the unnecessary application of the metre and it's related offshoots that will be it's general undoing. It doen't affect a jeweller weighing diamonds if a greengrocer is selling apples by the pound. If either feel the metric system is better for their application - then let them use it; nobody's getting short-changed, the conversion factors are set in stone, so there can be no Trading Standards implication either way. It's the forced replacement by what is often an inferior unit that is wrong - and, sadly, we can't blame the EU for it either.

[I'm just amazed that we haven't had someone bleating-on about fractions and the decimal system - even the BBC had a airhead that didn't know the difference between metric and decimals.]
It think metric threads are much easier to specify on an engineering drawing - it is simply M?? x p.pp, with ?? giving the major diameter, and p.pp giving the pitch in mm - perhaps with a tolerance class if you want the thread to be always stiff or always loose - it's a doddle.

In comparison with this simplicity, you have different ways to specify UNC, UNF, BSF, BSW, BA, and that's before you get to the awful aerospace specific stuff!

I think that using the measurement in mm across flats to define spanner and allen key sizes is simple and effective. Although I didn't have much trouble with fractional AF spanner sizes, I could very easily get confused with BSW and BSF spanner sizes - nightmare!

That the metric system is based around powers of ten is wonderful for calculations, you know imediately if you see n in front of a measurement, you are dealing with nano somethings or other, and the scaling is clear, simple and obvious - there's no need to bear in mind that there are 12 inches in a foot, or 8 pints in a gallon.

I think that forces are much clearer in metric, Newtons and kilograms are obviously different units, measuring different quantities. lb, and lbf are much more subtle in their difference, and this does confuse engineers who aren't used to imperial - I've seen frequent errors in calcs from junior staff because of this annoyance.

In terms of practical engineering, I think that micrometers in millimetres are, if anything, slightly easier to read, but there isn't really much difference. We are comparing being able to read down to 1 thou, and 0.1mm (about 4 thou) - there's not much in it really.

Like Thommo, I'm not a huge Europhile, but I wouldn't dream of using anything other than metric in my calcs, and on my drawings.

I think the French applications of metric are a little odd, for example, using da as a prefix, rather than the usual prefixes which are three powers of ten apart - i.e., milli is 10^-3, micro 10^-6, nano 10^-9, etc. This keeps the numbers reasonable, and puts the scaling in the power of ten.

Having said all this, I wouldn't dream of enforcing metric on people. I'm perfectly happy buying a quarter of *sarsaparilla tablets from the corner shop, and I haven't a clue what I would ask for in metric. (If only I could find any in the phillistine midlands!)

Number_Cruncher

Bye Bye Imperial Measures - Baskerville
I think you'll find that metric measures have been officially authorized in the USA since the mid-19th century at least.

In fact the official American "Imperial" measures are actually decided in relation to the metric system and it's "arbitrary" metal bars, not as an independent system.
>>"arbitrary" metal bars...

I take it you are referring to the old definition of the metre, being the distance between two marks on a Platinum Irridium bar held at Sevres.

These old arbitrary definitions are one by one being converted into relationships between fundamental constants, such as the number of wavelengths of light from a particular atomic transition.

Number_Cruncher
Indeed. American metrication dates back to the mid-nineteenth century. I was having a dig at an earlier poster who used the word "arbitrary" to describe the metric system.
Baskerville

If your reference was to the phrase "arbitrarily imposed system" then there are three OED-listed meanings for arbitrary and that one clearly was not the "mathematics" definition, relating to the use of unspecified values, it was arbitrary used in it's "autocratic" sense.
So you're unhappy with autocratically imposed measurement systems, but you're happy for the OED to impose arbitrary definitions of words on you. Hmm.

Baskers.
Bye Bye Imperial Measures - JH
I thought the metre was based on a sub division of the circumference of the Earth, which being as it was done in Napoleonic times, turned out o be damn close, but... wrong.
JH
Bye Bye Imperial Measures - cheddar
remember "thou?>>

I can look at a gap and estimate it in thousanths of an inch though not so readily microns, I still use thou feelers and convert as required and I have a couple of micrometers that measure in thou and do the job.
I think part of my objection at least is the sense of being "pushed around" by jobsworths and is hence, I concede, irrational. But what's the point in selling petrol in litres when we measure distance in miles and talk about mpg, to quote just one daffy example?

As has been pointed out Darwinism has applied in the past to scales (so we found ccs convenient and nicked them) but now metrication has government backing and the ludicrous force of law - that's what gets people's backs up. Centigrade has overtaken Fahrenheit, at least in my perception, and I can just about convert from one to the other. The next generation will favour metric units and imperial units will slowly slip away until someone says "oi what are these mile things, better change the signs" and then the last remnants will go.

Until then, we'll have to put up with the inappropriate use of metric units ("the fridge is 2665 mm high") and pass the hat around, we need to build another Mars lander.

JH

JH

There was nothing wrong with that Mars probe. It did exactly what it was programmed to do - establish an orbit at a distance of 50 metres above the planet's surface. Wasn't it's fault that it failed to notice that mountain.... [It still provided useful data - NASA now know for certain that 175,000 mph is a little too brisk an approach speed for a successful touchdown...]
This site contains some more info about the failure of the Mars Climate Orbiter;

ftp://ftp.hq.nasa.gov/pub/pao/reports/1999/MCO_report.pdf

Number_Cruncher
Bye Bye Imperial Measures - piggy
Well,I suppose they could wait until all the old people are dead before we go over completely.

Agree with JH on this.
Bye Bye Imperial Measures - storme
tut tut

people really dont like change do they ????

i've been in engineering since 1982..
when i was taught to use thousand'ths of an inch...
now i use 0.01 of a millimetre... and to be honest once you get used to it . it is the same

how many of u lot out there moaning.. are still selling / buying in pounds.shillings and pence???

ps...dont bothing converting inchs into mm's and telling me they are not the same..i know...mm's is a much tight tolerance
--
www.storme.co.uk
Bye Bye Imperial Measures - Stuartli
>>we'll have to put up with the inappropriate use of metric units ("the fridge is 2665 mm high") >>

The figure of 600mm has long been a standard for the width of many kitchen appliances.

But my best mate, who owns an independent audio/visual/appliances outlet, faithfully sticks to his three-foot ruler as well as the metric equivalent...:-)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
We are implying that only those countries still using imperial measurements are the best at making anything? Those that use metric are by their very nature unable to be so good?

And we are the best manufacturer of anything in the world still?

oops, falls apart there doesn't it?
errr, no, I don't think anyone said that. I think we're generally railing against compulsory use of a system of measures, we want freedom of choice. We've already had comment that British industry is manufacturing in metric units and if they choose to do so, that's fine. And if you work there you'd better get used to it.

Incidentally I bought a metric socket set shortly after buying a Capri on the grounds that it was made in Germany so I'd need a metric set. The first time I went to do anything to it I found all of the nuts and bolts were imperial!

JH
And you would be equally upset if we going to be forced to continue with imperial measurements if it was forced upon us then?
Take it easy robcars, anyone can use any system of measurement that suits them or that circumstances oblige - I will not say force - them to use.

Why should not a thousandth of an inch be called a mousewhisker? Or a gallon, 16 units?
Not getting upset, just a honest question.

is it an illogical thought of going metric? if so he (they) would be quite happy to have imperial measurements forced on us!
robcars,
yes, that's the point. I'm fairly sure that metric meaasurements will win out and I don't have a problem with that. I do have a problem with a guy selling bananas in pounds being prosecuted.
JH
Bye Bye Imperial Measures - Group B
Centigrade has overtaken Fahrenheit,
at least in my perception, and I can just about convert
from one to the other.

I was born in the early '70's. I struggle to convert between centigrade and fahrenheit, but its the fahrenheit scale I can't relate to. I know that water freezes at 0'C, so that equals icy roads. If someone tells me its going to be in the eighties next week, I assume thats pretty warm, but I struggle to relate to how hot that is.
Until then, we'll have to put up with the inappropriate use
of metric units ("the fridge is 2665 mm high")

By the way whats inappropriate about 2665mm (apart from it being a very tall fridge!)? ;o) . (I'm not having a go, just asking).

In construction we normally talk in metres and millimetres, and drop the unit designation without confusion. Rough numbers can be "two point four by four point eight", or for more precise dims. we might say, "two three five five by eighteen hundred", and a contractor will know whether we are talking in metres or millimetres. Its only with the smaller-scale builders (and domestic householders) where we sometimes have to convert to imperial units. One exception being joinery, as screwloose says above, where its still quite common to talk in inches.
What annoys me is when you see things in catalogues that say "180cm tall", I can visualise how tall it is but personally think centimetres are pointless because I'm used to millimetres. We once got some engineering drawings from Germany that were in centimetres with the milimetre figure in superscript, which was worse still!
I'm happy converting imperial to metric for length measurement; but my Dad will do calcs and get an answer in kilonewtons, then tell a builder the answer in hundredweights; which goes straight over my head!

Having said all that I fully agree that imperial units should only be phased out only when people stop using them, and that banning their use is ridiculous. At work I use metric. But in the car I only understand miles and mpg; for rough distances I'd much rather say "its about 400 yards" than "its about 350 metres".

Rich.

I was born and brought up with Farenheight. I have a strange form of temperature dsylexia,

Degrees C, I know how cold it is. -1c -2c -3c etc, I can relate to. I cant relate temperatures below freezing in farenheight. This is almost entirely due to outside temp displays in cars. There is frost on the car, the car reads - something, I know how cold it feels as I have just been in it and the car has told me exactly what it is. Fabulous.

How hot is it? Now there is another matter.As soon as we get above 22or 23 I just cant relate that to hotness.

80,90,100F yup all fine I know how hot that is, 38.9c? No idea whats so ever.

TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
I was born and brought up with Farenheight. I have a
strange form of temperature dsylexia,

Same here, agree 100%!
Rich,
my point is that some people seem to use very large numbers of mm when they should be using cm or even m. Can you visualise several thousand tiny units or do you mentally put a decimal point after the metres, which you can visualise on that sort of scale (size) and take it from there? It would make more sense to show 2.665m.
JH
Bye Bye Imperial Measures - Group B
Can you visualise several thousand tiny units or do you
mentally put a decimal point after the metres, which you can
visualise on that sort of scale (size) and take it
from there? It would make more sense to show 2.665m.
JH

I take your point JH, yes I would mentally insert the decimal point to visualise the measurement in metres. If I get a dimension in centimetres I would mentally move the decimal point to change it to metres. So working with 'm' and 'mm' there is only one place for the decimal point to go. If 'cm' are used also, there are two places for the decimal point to go and that could confuse some people.
People were/ are conversant with inches, feet and yards so in the long term it will not be a problem. But I dont see why imperial has to be "outlawed" in 2010.
Bye Bye Imperial Measures - paulb {P}
...imperial measurements after 2010 will be outlawed
and that includes usage in Magazines and Books.

This is what gets me about metrication. Go metric by all means (if you must) but why must use of (or even reference to) the old measures be a criminal offence? Some people (quite a lot, I suspect) prefer them because they are more comfortable with them. Where's the harm in that?

Take for example the case of the now sadly late Steve Thorburn (you remember, the "Metric Martyr") - the only justification for prosecuting him for selling a pound of bananas (or whatever it was) would have been if he had charged for a pound and only sold 13 oz - and there was no suggestion of that at all.

I agree that litres of beer are a good thing, but you know what will happen - pubs will start selling half a litre for the same price as a pint. This already happens with milk from some dairies - usually to be found in convenience stores, IME.
Bye Bye Imperial Measures - expat
I believe there must have been similar arguments in Babylon thousands of years ago when people tried to persuade them that they should change from a numbering system with a base of 60 to one with a base of ten. No doubt someone said that it should be left till the old folk died out and that is why we still have 60 seconds in a minute and 60 minutes in an hour. Not to mention 360 degrees in a circle.
Bye Bye Imperial Measures - bignick
I think you will findthat 360 degrees to a circle was an attempt by babylonian astronomers to make the yearly revolution of the night sky predictable and 360 was easier to work with than 365.25.
Base 60 for calculation is actually a good choice as 60 has so many factors (1,2,3,4,5,6,10,12,15,20,30) this is incidentally also the reason for dozens and shillings/pence.
There is room for both, if metric measures become the .. er, yardstick then old imperial units simply need to be reclassified.

I.e. a Pint becomes officially 568ml, a Mile officially 1.58 Km (or whatever), a gallon officially 4.54 ltrs etc, on that basis how can anyone object to the continued use of imperial denominations within a metric system.

Splitting up the day is an arbitary number. There is no basis for 24 hours we should have 100 hours to a day and 100 minutes to an hour.

Good for all those who get paid by the hour.

The only thing you cant change is the 365 risings of the sun to a year.

As someone said, how on earth have we ended up buying our petrol in litres and working out miles per gallon?

TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Bye Bye Imperial Measures - MoodyGit
The one I object to is the media's use of Fahrenheit when it's a hot day but Celsius when it's cold.

The sooner Fahrenheit is binned the better!

Bye Bye Imperial Measures - daveyjp
5 years (ish) ago surveyors were supposed to start using sq m, rather than sq ft. Problem is 1 sq m is 10.76 sq ft, so one square metre is a large amount of floorspace and when you say something is £53.80 per sq m it sounds more than £5 per sq ft. I was taught in sq m, did all my exams in sq m, but all the surveyors I come across on a day to day basis still talk in sq ft - even those younger than me. It's horses for courses.

Adverts began to show the sq m size with sq ft in brackets, but surveyors still spoke in sq ft. Most ads now have gone back to being in sq ft.

I have no probs swapping. When I'm talking area and buildings sq ft is still spoken, but when I'm in with architects and we are talikng linear measurements millimeters and metres are the order tof the day.
Bye Bye Imperial Measures - mjm
So I will have to look for 185(mm) x 70(%) x 380,25(mm) tyres then will I?

To be honest, I don't really care what measurements I use. Along with many other people (I suspect) it isn't this actual regulation in itself which is annoying but the way in which governments, both U K and European seem to think that more and more legislation and petty rules are required to enable us to live our lives. I think I have reached terminal overload with them. There are not the "enforcers" available to police current legislation so anything else added is just a waste of legislators time.
Bye Bye Imperial Measures - bell boy
if its any help 75 pence is still 15 shillings to me
Bye Bye Imperial Measures - madf
When I grew up farthings were still legal tender:-(

I have adapted: and apart from a few historic reasons see no problems with moving to metrication.

Most of the anti metrication rants are driven by ptty officialdom and civil servants who imo live in ivory towers and should be sent to live in the real world.

As for prosecuting those who offend, the CPS ought to reject all such attempts. UK court system is abysmally slow. To allow such trivial cases shows a lack of willingness to reform.
madf
Bye Bye Imperial Measures - DP
As a non-engineer / scientist, I find metric much more straightforward and logical in day to day life.

10 millimetres in a centimetre, 100 centimetres in a metre, 1000m in a kilometre
instead of:
12 inches in a foot, 3 feet in a yard, 1760 yards in a mile.

Water freezes at 0°C and boils at 100°C.
instead of
Water freezes at 32F and boils at 212F

But what really irritates the absolute wotsit out of is our refusal to properly adopt one or the other. We have this stupid, illogical half and half system at the moment that makes no sense whatsoever.

Flying is the daftest though.

Altitude in feet
Speed in knots
Visibility in km (clicks)
Eh?

QNH & QFE in millibars,
Cloud cover in "octa's" (factors of eight? - whats that all about then?)

TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >

Up to half a crown's worth, above that traders could refuse them.

As an adolescent in Plymouth in the early fifties, like others I used to collect farthings to annoy bus conductors.

In Cairo in the seventies, although the Egyptian quid was divided into 100 piastres and 1,000 milliemes (worth therefore slightly less than a farthing in Egyptian terms), at least one taxi driver called a 75 piastre fare 'fifteen bob', to my great pleasure.
I have adapted: and apart from a few historic reasons see
no problems with moving to metrication.

I disagree, i am happier with imperial measures and do not want to be forced to use metric.
Putting it simply i want the choice,how about meeting every day people that i meet and know who do not like the metric system in the real world.
Bye Bye Imperial Measures - bignick
In my misspent youth when working in bars I seem to remember that Guinness switched from standard crates of 12 bottles to a "metric" crate of 15 - cue Irish jokes..........
Bye Bye Imperial Measures - jeds
As an architect I find the metric system of measurement easy to work with. It is logical, easy to understand and reduces errors on site.

The millemetre is king of the hill in construction and I rarely come across anybody that has trouble with it - even the old boys. Although there are habits that won't die. Lengths of timber are often refered to as 2.3m of 3x4" or 8 feet of 100x50.

A curious thing is that timber sizes are most often in metric - joists are 220 deep or 50x100 etc. But board sizes are usually in feet - e.g. 8x4 sheets of plasterboard.
Bye Bye Imperial Measures - mfarrow
Isn't it strange that we're all taught in metric at school yet the real world is still using imperial?

To be honest I see no reason for a complete change - I'm happy to use both and do, as I wouldn't dream of measuring th diameter of a rod or hole in inches, yet I'd always use a 5mil or 10mil grid for PCBs!

For the amount of money which would need to be spent changing every road sign in the country, I honestly can't believe it would ever happen. You just have to think of the number of things we still specify in metric, like TV sizes, wheel rims, wipers, tyre pressures, burger mass, etc to realise that changeover just isn't practical. My generation was bought up on metric in school, yet you don't see us going around talking about 46cm wheel rims and asking for a 113 gram-er with cheese at McDonalds.

--------------
Mike Farrow