ICE questions? - cheddar
OK, the incredibly complicated in-dash 6CD changer in the Mondeo is playing up slightly, it is a Ford 6006e double DIN size, all is not lost, I have some tips to follow myself that might yet sort it out and a repair may well be economical, however if it comes to it a new replacement would not be so, five hundred and fifteen quid - I kid you not!!!!. I know, I know look on e-bay.

Now I have seen a Focus with a single DIN unit in the double din slot and a blanking plate filling up the hole, I am told that you can get a cubby hole to fit below (or above?) the single din unit, much more useful and more asthetic than a blanking plate, any ideas where? If so I might consider a decent Sony etc single CD (with compatible green illumination) and in-boot 10/12 CD changer. However would an aftermarket Sony etc use the same connectors for power, speakers and remote controls? (the aerial connect is surely std) and would it be compatible with the Ford steering column remote controls?

Many thanks.
ICE questions? - glowplug
Generally you find that the speaker and power connectors are standard and so just plug and play. But steering wheel controls usually need an adapter, see here - www.autoleads.co.uk/index.html. For my Xantia it would have been about £50 for this so I bought the Sony joystick thats easier/better to use and cost about £25. As for having a multi changer why not just use MP3 discs, cheaper (no need to buy a changer), simpler, maybe more capacity and less prone to jumping in my experience.

Steve.
---
Xantia HDi.

Buy a Citroen and get to know the local GSF staff better...
ICE questions? - BB
Even better, get a multi changer that plays MP3 discs :)
ICE questions? - cheddar
As
for having a multi changer why not just use MP3 discs,
cheaper (no need to buy a changer), simpler, maybe more capacity
and less prone to jumping in my experience.
Steve.
---

Very good point! Any ideas re the cubby hole to fill the double DIN?

Regards.
My Xantia had a one and a half DIN stereo fitted, I bought an adapter from Halfords for about £10.

Steve.
---
Xantia HDi.

Not exactly sure of your cars model but have a look here - www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product_info.php?products...a

Usually these things can be bought locally but you could pay more, another alternative would be ebay.

cgi.ebay.co.uk/FASCIA-ADAPTER-FOR-FORD-MONDEO-2003...m

Steve.
---
Xantia HDi.

ICE questions? - cheddar
Thanks, I have seen the first item, a blanking plate, in a Focus, the second e-Bay item is neater though I think this is for the facelift Mondeo however I have asked the seller to clarify.

Regards.
ICE questions? - Marc4Six
What about an MP3 playing DVD player. 1 DVD will store about 50-60 albums at a good bitrate.

I have one of these:

www.alpine-europe.com/content/english/a2491.det.DV...m

It is fitted in a double DIN with pocket underneath, with quad illumination (including green) and is compatible with steering remote controls (although I cannot confirm this as I don't have these).

It is an excellent unit.
ICE questions? - daveyjp
I've just gone down the MP3 FM transmitter route - cost was just £12 and I was ready to send it back or bin it, but I'm surprised at how good it is, I now have 5,000 tracks available to me and an empty glove box as all the CDs have gone!
ICE questions? - cheddar
It is fitted in a double DIN with pocket underneath, >>

Intersesting, any info on the pocket unit?

Thanks.
ICE questions? - cheddar
What about an MP3 playing DVD player. 1 DVD will store
about 50-60 albums at a good bitrate.

A few other questions:

How many CD's in MP3 format on a CDRW?

What do you call a good bit rate/

What software do you use to write conventional audio files to MP3 format on CDs and DVDs.

Many thanks.
ICE questions? - Adam {P}
Cheddar - having actually done the DIN conversion on that Fiesta I had, I'd recommend not doing it and sticking a changer on like I have with mine.

The single DIN never looked right to begin with although the wood effect dash didn't help so when it got pinched, I just put the Ford stereo back in. When I got the Focus, the CD part of the 6000 stereo didn't work so I bought an adapter and a changer and it connected up dead easily and I've never regretted it - plus there's nothing flashy on show to the scallies that walk past.

Mine isn't an MP3 CD changer but it works via the remote just as well (which you'd have to sort out if you got a single DIN stereo as you'll lose this functionailty without a special adapter). However, if you assume an average MP3 format song is around 5 meg, and a normal CD holds upwards of 700 meg, you'll realise you can get a lot of songs on one disc!

When you say converting conventional audio files, I assume the music isn't already on your computer and you'd be ripping off existing CDs?
ICE questions? - cheddar
>>
Mine isn't an MP3 CD changer but it works via the
remote just as well (which you'd have to sort out if
you got a single DIN stereo as you'll lose this functionailty
without a special adapter).

Hi Adam, seems that adapters are about £20
When you say converting conventional audio files, I assume the music
isn't already on your computer and you'd be ripping off existing
CDs?

Yes, from CDs.

Thanks.
ICE questions? - Chad.R
You can usually get about 10-12 albums on a 700Mb CD-R or in other words around 10 hours worth. IIRC I used 128kbps for the conversion (which was probably the recommended rate for the application I used at the time - Musicmatch).

Changed from a 10 CD changer unit about a year or so ago when it packed up and have never looked back since.....
ICE questions? - BB
............A few other questions:

What software do you use to write conventional audio files to MP3 format on CDs and DVDs.

You can get 700Mb of music on one cd. An average bit rate would be 128 kb/s. 192 kb/s is much better but I would stick with 128kb for your car. You probably wouldn't notice too much difference.

As a guesstimate, I use 1mb = 1 minute of MP3

Therefore you can get 700 minutes on a normal CDR (Dont bother with CDRW's)
Which is roughly 140 tunes @ 5 minutes long.

If you stretch to a DVD as sugegsted above, you will be able to fit roughly 6 x that amount.

Various different software you can use to do this, if you have Windows Media Player 10 (I think) then you can rip to WMA file which is much better quality (A similar compressed file to Mp3, but better quality like Apples format)
The pocket was installed by a proffessional ICE installer, I believe they are different for different cars but freely available for Halfords etc, I'll post a photo when I get home if you like?

In CDRW format about 10-12 Albums on 650-700MB.

Personally I use a Variable Bitrate averaging about 160Kb/s average length songs work out about 4-5 MB each, albums about 40-60 MB.

Software I use is Exact Audio Copy (free download) although beta it is very stable and reliable, LAME (free), Wavegain (free) and a number of different tagging software.

The sequence I use is:
1. Use EAC to encode to WAV.
2. Use Wavegain to adjust volume of album to a standard level.
3. Use LAME via EAC to encode to MP3 using preset VBR 4.
4. Use tagging software to tag MP3s.

A bit long winded but you get good results and you should only have to go through this once for each album.
ICE questions? - daveyjp
I use a Sony MP3 player which uses their own ATRAC compression software as default (MP3 is an option if required). At the standard compression rate all my music files (nearly 5,000) fit on to 3 DVDs.
ICE questions? - cheddar
The pocket was installed by a proffessional ICE installer, I believe
they are different for different cars but freely available for Halfords
etc, I'll post a photo when I get home if you
like?

That would be great, thanks.
The photo is not the best, the flash rather over emphasizes the contrast of greys, it looks much better in the flesh.

img515.imageshack.us/img515/2620/incaricebd8.jpg

Hope this helps.
ICE questions? - mfarrow

About 170 in 192kbps or 220 in 128kbps.

I wouldn't use anything other than 192kbps. 128kbps but IMHO as an audiophile too low.
What software do you use to write conventional audio files to
MP3 format on CDs and DVDs.

Rip them in Windows Media Player, then use burnatonce to burn the files to CD or DVD.

--------------
Mike Farrow
I've been using MP3s in the car for about 4 or 5 years using a Sony head unit to play them. I've always ripped and encoded them using just Nero. Nero can rip, convert and name the tracks all in one go if correctly setup. Generally when doing this it reports a conversion rate of about 52x 'normal' speed. I only use variable bit rate which the Sony seems happy with. Sometimes I use CDRW's but find that at best the Sony will only read normal & high speed type (1-4x & 4-10x), ultra high speed discs cause read errors. Using this method I normally get around 10x as much music on a MP3 'disc' compared to a normal audio cd. My Sony's an old CDX MP30 MP3 Player.

Steve.

---
Xantia HDi.

ICE questions? - bell boy
20 replies and to think that 30 years ago a harry moss radio cassette was the height of having made it in in car entertainment and a full 5 watts peak music power per channel ,(at 4 ohms obviously).
ICE questions? - cheddar
30 years ago was 8-Track era wasn't it.

Thanks for the replies guys, if the current unit cant be fixed I reckon I like the look of a Becker Mexico or one of the Alpine CD/MP3 units with the required green illumination. Seems that both can connect to the existing steering column controls.

Any other ideas much appreciated.
ICE questions? - BB
The Alpine MP3 head unit is probably the best around for the money you will pay IMO. I have owned several Alpines and can reccomend them fully.

ICE questions? - Adam {P}
My changer is an Alpine and it's absolutely perfect. Never given me a problem and plays flawlessly no matter how many bumps you drive over.
ICE questions? - Altea Ego
but it plays such rubbish, I would never have one. Is it still churning out Abba?
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
ICE questions? - cheddar
Oh havent I learned a lot about contemporay ICE in the last 36 hours, I am actually looking forward to writing some CD-Rs with ripped MP3s, as it is I copy every CD I buy so I have a copy for the car, if MP3 then I will need perhaps 1/8th the number of CD's and still be able to play all albums in the car.

Alpine, Becker or Blaupunkt? Reliability, functionality, sound quality, brand cred etc, the Becker Mexico looks classiest.
ICE questions? - Altea Ego
Blaupunkt (have one in the Ran) are super for quality, volume, FM reception, and well thought out features.

They are trully trully appaling for ergomics and menus on the move (three pushes of a tiny button to change radio station - I kid you not) and AM reception is dire.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
ICE questions? - cheddar
Fixed the Ford changer this am, a bit of TLC, fingers crossed. Still might think of getting an MP3 unit some time though!

Thanks to all.