Porsche 996 Key stuck in ignition!! - Ted - IK
Hi,

I recently bought a 1998 996 Tiptronic S and sadly yesterday the ignition barrel has collapsed with they key remaining stuck inside. I tried several locksimths and then an idependent dealer who all pointed me in the direction of the main dealers. I today have been told it will cost me nearly £600 for the priviledge of getting it sorted. From speaking with the dealer it appears that this is a common problem, has any other HJ readers experienced this or could help with getting this sorted. I live in the North West.

Appreciate any feedback.

Tad.
Porsche 996 Key stuck in ignition!! - Armitage Shanks {p}
These might help

www.autolocksmiths.net/
Thanks for the link it has been a big help.
Porsche 996 Key stuck in ignition!! - tr7v8
Not heard of it on any of the Porsche forums & I'm on most. Can't believe a decent independant Porker dealer can't sort it. Where abouts are you?
Come on over to www.porsche-1.net & ask them. Someone will suggest a local independant.
Porsche 996 Key stuck in ignition!! - Craig_1969
Also try www.boxa.net for help.
Again, veru good link and appreciate the feedback.
Thanks for this, I am based in Manchester, I have looked at the link and appreciate your feedback.
Porsche 996 Key stuck in ignition!! - boxster boy
Hi There..
Have you sorted the problem out?? I have that same problem with my s reg 986 and would'nt mind a stear in the right direction.
Thanks in advance
Mark
Hi Mark,

I did get this sorted, costly though (c£400) as no independent would touch it so had to bite the bullet and go to main dealers. The barrel collapsed in mine, so ignition stayed on permanently and could not take key out. If you have the same problem and you have the time, apparently to take the barrel out is not a big deal and any good locksmith can 'recondition'. I couldn't do this as I needed car and as ignition was on all time I didn't want to cause further damage.

Just had to also have fuel pump and oxygen sensor changed - put this down to cheap, nasty petrol from my local supermarket - will be writing to them.

Hope you get it sorted.

Ted.