VW Golf Mk 4 Leak in passenger footwell - J.B.
Rainwater is getting into the passenger footwell. Are there any known places it gets in or or could it be anywhere?
VW Golf Mk 4 Leak in passenger footwell - stuartl
Rainwater is getting into the passenger footwell. Are there any known
places it gets in or or could it be anywhere?

VW's are prone to water ingress via the pollen filter seal. I had a neighbour with a 2001 Passat who had exactly this problem. The biggest problem it can cause is frying the electrics under the passenger seat which costs hundreds to sort out so get the water out and get a new pollen filter seal. Just type 'VW pollen filter seal' into Google and there are countless postings online about this. He did his and no probs since!

Hope this helps! good luck,

Stuart>>

VW Golf Mk 4 Leak in passenger footwell - bell boy
if it was an old viva i would suggest a few well placed drilled holes in the floor but stuarti"s post is more sensible for this model,confirm the doors arent full of water as well and swishing through the door cards......
VW Golf Mk 4 Leak in passenger footwell - stuartl
if it was an old viva i would suggest a few
well placed drilled holes in the floor but stuarti"s post is
more sensible for this model,confirm the doors arent full of water
as well and swishing through the door cards......

Oldman, I think most old Viva's probably have enough holes in the floor without the need to provide anymore!!!

My brother had an old Cortina that had 'self draining footwells..' : o )
VW Golf Mk 4 Leak in passenger footwell - Hamsafar
www.passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212738

If you look at the pics, yours will be similar, what a cheap and nasty design, so much for the VW adverts which used to show men in white coats going round a new model at the factory obsessively paying attention to the smallest detail, when they cobble together developing-world style junk like this!

You need to remove the black pollen filyer housing and apply polyurethane sealant around the hold where the foam gasket is and the box which sits on top.
VW Golf Mk 4 Leak in passenger footwell - mss1tw
Thanks for the link Ashok - being a VAG car this will be useful for mine too!

That's not a handle; believe it or not it's a gutter to prevent water dropping straight on top of the pollen filter, it has to be one of the most cack designs on any motor car, ever

Hmmmmm!
Thanks Guys, Seems like a good punt. I'll get hold of a Haynes manual and see what I can do. VW has just replaced the pollen filter and the windscreen wiper spindle bushes... are you thinking what I'm thinking!!!! Of course I won't be able to prove anything and of course it could be pure coincidence as the car is 7yrs old.
VW Golf Mk 4 Leak in passenger footwell - charlesb
There are other possibilities too. Does your Golf have a sunroof? That's another place where the drain holes that run from the roof, down the front pillars to the side of the car, get blocked and water enters the cabin

The least likely is the problem I had, which was a leaking Windscreen.

Easiest way to tell is to shove some kitchen towel between the bottom of the dashboard and the windscreen after it's rained. if it comes out wet/damp and slightly black, then that's a sure sign of a Windscreen leak
-------------------
VW Bora (51) 2.0 SE
VW Touran (54) 1.9 TDI
Finally got around to looking at the pollen filter:- there was a chunk missing from the cover/water deflector and it had a crack across it. It was obviously broken by the "technician"!!! who changed the filter. Will look for a reliable independent in future. Thanks for all the suggestions. PS someone had left a nice drill in the filter area too--- kind of them!