Merc c200K oil filter - alan
HI

Has anybody changed the oil on the 200 compressor engine..if so where have merc hidden the oil filter. On all the old models it was in front of the block in a cartridge form

thanks for any help

alan

They did a good job hiding the filter on the old 190!
Re: Merc c200K oil filter - Julian Lindley
Alan,

It is on the front RHS of the engine looking to the rear of the car, below the plastic clip on fairing that resembles in plan an inlet manfold. there are in fact two of these fairings and both are clip on. You need to be gentle in easing them off - they use C clips to locate them.

You will also require a die cast socket to remove the plastic oil cartridge cover which is available from your Merc' agent. Either a suction oil extract system through the dipstick will be required or the jacking gear to raise the car and remove the plastic undertray to access the sump and drain plug.

Regards,

Julian L
Re: Merc c200K oil filter - Chris M
But why have they made it so difficult?

Chris M
Re: Merc c200K oil filter - Julian Lindley
Chris,

Looking at the detail engineering of the car and making a few assumptions:

The detail rubber sealing around the bonnet and headlights coupled with the plastic undertray that envelopes all of the engine bay.

This keeps most road crud from the engine compartment and the undertray apart from assisting this, will also improve higher speed aerodynamics and diminish engine noise and wind roar. Interestingy, Merc' use a flushing oil to remove remaining deposits when evacuating the oil via the dipstick hole (dipstick facility specific to 4 cyl models I understand.)

Removing the fairings above the filter is extremely easy and the die cast socket is very cheap at £7.00.

Regards,

Julian L.
Re: Merc c200K oil filter - Honest John
I can tell you that Merc's smooth undertrays definitely work. In fact, I did tell you in the E Class Merc W211 road test. The E320 is ridiculously quick on top speed for a mere 224 bhp. You just can't have that and Morris Minor maintenance.

HJ