VW 2.0 20V engine gulping oil coolant - VWissue
My 2003 2.0 20v (Audi branded) engine is munching oil and coolant, but there are no leaks and no sign or oil in water or water in the oil and no signs of any leaks - it's done 45K and has been serviced to the letter by VW (4 times). It's needed 4 litres of oil in the last 5,000 miles - despite using none in the first 40K and it's needed the coolant topping up a dozen times this year (and was topped up on Saturday and is already flashing up as low coolant (and has had a new radiator as a precaution (that's not leaking either from it or any joints (it's been fully pressure tested before and after)).

Any ideas where it's going - my thoughts are that there's only one place it can be going - into the engine and out the exhaust (though there's neither smoke nor any smells). I presume this is terminal for the engine and given VW's previous approach to problems with the car (don't want to know even when it's blatantly their fault by crap servicing (not worth going into here)) there will be no chance of a replacement from VW when it fails, so it's time to trade it out.

thanks
VW 2.0 20V engine gulping oil coolant - Armitage Shanks {p}
Dim question! If it is 2003 is it still in warranty! If there is no oil in the water or water in the oil I am as mystified as you!
No, out of warranty by 6 months. But I expect no help from dealers - both who have serviced it have damaged the bodywork (and after a fight both admitted it) and one left it with several of the underbonnet air gubbins disconnected after a service so it stalled every time you changed gear - which loses the PAS and makes it lethal - they just laughed and denied they did that - until I produced the photos and the AA man's report on it - they still can't find the plastic shrouding they removed from the engine at the last service either....
VW 2.0 20V engine gulping oil coolant - mss1tw
Did you buy it new? Sounds like it's had the bits thrashed off of it.
VW 2.0 20V engine gulping oil coolant - Peter D
I will assume it is a manual box, i.e. no gear box oil cooler. As you say it must be going out through the exhaust. If they pressure tested and replaced the rad then they have admitted there is a problem and registered at that date. You may well be ok under the warrantee. Did these problems start at the same time, the ebviuos is a head warp and you are slowly leaking water and oil into a cylinder. However that would normally pressurise the water sytem and blow water out so a bit strange I assume the car had had an emmissions check and the plugs temoved to look for the old steam cleaning action. I have seen a cracked block allow water into the lower end of the cylinder and not pressurise the water system but evenually it did start to leach into the oil and the old Mayo although it was not heavy. Very Strange. Good Luck. Regards Peter
Bought new, driven hard but never above 2,500 rpm when cold - yes, it gets used on motorways and cruises in the 80's and 90's with the odd foray above 100 (just like everybody else....) - but given it's averaged 35.3mpg over the last 8,500 miles (according to the trip), it's not been caned.

It is a manual car. I did wonder about the head warping - it's had emissions checks, pressure testing, and not a drop of 'mayonnaise'. There is no water coming out - I deliberately ran it at home last night for nearly an hour and there were no 'water' deposits that condensed anywhere and no signs of leaks anywhere (be they stains from gas emissions or liquid leaks)

Rad was unfortunately out of warranty - by not much. The problem manifested itself a month outside the warranty.

The shame is that when it works, it's a good car - it's just that it's had the AA out three times, it's been trailered home twice and it's had numerous electrical faults that render it short term immobile (VW immobiliser problems).
VW 2.0 20V engine gulping oil coolant - madf
You may have water being blown out under pressure only when hot and engine under load. Try going fast up a steep long hill, stopping at top leaving engine running and look for leaks.
(I had a BMW with a loose heater hose only found like that. water evaporated with engine heat so no sign of water seen when engine stopped.)
madf
VW 2.0 20V engine gulping oil coolant - Alec
"I had a BMW with a loose heater hose only found like that. water evaporated with engine heat so no sign of water seen when engine stopped."

The G12 coolant will leave a pink telltale if there is a leak.
VW 2.0 20V engine gulping oil coolant - mss1tw
A mysterious water loss from one of my last cars was just an expansion tank cap that needed replacing.
VW 2.0 20V engine gulping oil coolant - DP
A mysterious water loss from one of my last cars was
just an expansion tank cap that needed replacing.

Same here.

DP
Replaced that first. Still did it and does not explain the sudden thirst for oil either...
VW 2.0 20V engine gulping oil coolant - Armitage Shanks {p}
I'm glad you've had some usefull comments. What you say seems to give added strength to general BR thought that VW dealers and servicing are carp!
I think this means that it's not an easy fix - so it's trade it time - I don't want to get comeback from a private sale - so part-ex it will be.

What's trade book on a 2.0 20v saloon 45K 2003 52 (not that it makes any difference, but new discs and pads all round (replaced because cracked, not worn)).

I thought it's about £5K give or take as a part-ex - therefore straight trade will be a bit less than that.
VW 2.0 20V engine gulping oil coolant - Aprilia
I would take it to MoT station and let them 'sniff' the header tank for hydrocarbons. If water is not leaking out anywhere external then it must be going into the engine. It could be a small crack that is opening up only under heat and pressure.