Vauxhall Zafira Towbar Elecrics - Pete Minnis
I am about to fit a towbar to a Vauxhall Zafira, and wondered if anyone new if there is a prewired connector hidden away to connect the electrics to? Or whether I have to use "scotch blocks"
Re: Vauxhall Zafira Towbar Elecrics - Honest John
Which towbar? Because if it is not a Type Approved towbar you will be in very serious trouble if you get rear-ended.

HJ
Re: Vauxhall Zafira Towbar Elecrics - RogerL
Your towbar will have to be type approved but the electrics are fitted independently. Most Vauxhalls include a 9 pin connector under one of the trim panels that need removing for the towbar bolts BUT Vauxhall dealers are the only ones who sell a kit with a matching connector. I've tried Tandy, Maplins and Radio Spares to identify the connector without success. I always end up cutting the connector off and using electrical connectors of the correct ampage. The battery supply cable will normally only become live when you fit a fuse in the holder marked trailer. Although there is a trailer warning position in the dash cluster, it probably has no bulb fitted.
Re: Vauxhall Zafira Towbar Elecrics - Big Vern
When fitting a towsure type approved towbar to my 98 vectra I asked at my local dealer if they had such a connector as my Haynes manuel hinted at one in the electrical diagrams. The dealer told me that they use the blue snap lock style crimp on conectors like the rest of us (available from just any good auto spares / electronics shop see Maplins part number AR21X for a picture.

If you do not have a wiring diagram you can check each wire by using a test bulb with one side grounded and the other attached to a pin which you can @!#$ through the insulation to find which wire into the cluster does what, aulthough this technique does require a helper to operate the lights.
Re: Vauxhall Zafira Towbar Elecrics - Big Vern

Big Vern wrote:

> attached to a pin which you can @!#$ through the insulation
> to find which wire into the cluster does what, aulthough this
> technique does require a helper to operate the lights.

@!#$ > poke

Auto swear word delete?? humm must have missed this, obviously not context sensitive Martyn!!!
auto expletive blanking - Big Vern
Big Vern wrote:
>
>
> Big Vern wrote:
>
> > attached to a pin which you can @!#$ through the insulation
> > to find which wire into the cluster does what, aulthough this
> > technique does require a helper to operate the lights.
>
> @!#$ > poke
>
> Auto swear word delete?? humm must have missed this,
> obviously not context sensitive Martyn!!!

reading this back today does not make much sence in the original post I used p r i c k which was replaced by @!#$, has this always been in operation?? Now if only there was a spell check!!
:-)
Re: Vauxhall Zafira Towbar Elecrics - Andy Bairsto
First the Bar must not only type approved must have a TUV mark for europe travel .Connectors for just about every car are available .BUT DO NOT FORGET when fitting a 13 pole (now the standart the power lead for AUX trailor electrics such as battery ,fridge etc must be taken direct direct from the battery and have an in line fuse .This cable is not in the car wiring loom.
HJ is very correct, somebody tail ended me in Germany my Disco had a UK supplied tow bar from Land rover but was not type approved or a Euro tuv mark I was blamed for 30% of the damage and my insurance would not pay my share..