I Have a Question Volume 142 - Dynamic Dave

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 143 *****

In this thread you may ask any question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

It does not need to be motoring related. In fact, in this thread it should not be.

No Questions About PC's. They now go in another Thread.
No politics
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

However, as has been said a couple of times, there is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 142. Previous Volumes will not be deleted,

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=18847

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Creaking Stairs - ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond
We moved in to our house 6 weeks ago. The stairs creak badly. (They go up and around to the upstairs).
Anyone know why this happens and is there a way of fixing it without taking up the carpet?

Thanks for any help.
Creaking Stairs - Altea Ego
It creaks because its made of lots of pieces of wood. They are all moving around and rubbing against each other.

It all needs to be rescrewed and/or lubricated with french chalk. See what you can do from underneath,but probably the carpet needs to come up.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
>It creaks because its made of lots of pieces of wood.

???? Well blow me down ;-).

I thought I read somewhere that it if the nails come loose it could be that that makes them creak.

I dont know though, thats why I'm asking :-)
Creaking Stairs - Martin Devon
The wedges, (underneath) are/were not glued properly. Suppose it is a modern house? if not it is likely that age has caused the same problem, i.e failure of the glue or fixings.

vbr.............md
Lol

No seriously, *lots* of pieces of wood in old designs of stairs, specially those older ones that go round corners. Its a very complex piece of joinery, with lots of joints in all contact. Its all shrunk since it was built, all the joints come loose.

Have a look underneath and see if you have wedges that can be "re introduced" with a little effort from a mallet.

TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
I can only get access to to top half of the stairs (from under them).

Because of the shape of the the bottom half is behind a wall.
Creaking Stairs - bell boy
TVM has hit the nail on the head and thats what you need to do ;-)
my room floor did the same when we moved in and i was shown how to brace the boards between the joists theres a word for it but it fails me (herringbone i think?)
ideally you need to take the stair boards up and re-lay them or you could try glue and sawdust between the gaps....
its a consequence of central heating i think............
my bathroom i have boarded out in the victorian fashion and this last months weather has split my proper pre steamed boards so i reckon a lot of houses are going to have a lot of problems between now and the winter...
Creaking Stairs - Martin Devon
>> ideally you need to take the stair boards up and re-lay
them.

Do you mean treads Sir?

vbr........md
here you go

www.diyfixit.co.uk/nflash/building/CreakingStairs/...m
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Creaking Stairs - Vin {P}
1. The simple solution is to take up the carpet and take a good look at what's under there. Then get a couple of packets of cheap unperfumed talcum powder. Put the talc into a ketchup type bottle - the squeezy type that has one smallish hole. If possible, empty the ketchup out first. Squirt liberally into every crack you can see.

That may stop the creaking - it lubricates the things that are squeaking against each other.

2. If that fails, then if you can get access to the underside, make up some triangular (one angle right-angle) pieces of wood - about 1.5 - 2" along the right angle edge, and about three inshes long overall. Glue and screw them into the underside of each step and riser meeting point. Then put glue into every joint you can see and add screws to hold the joints together.

3. If you have no access, put glue into the cracks you can see from above (which are now full of talc unless you've vacuumed it up) and put screws in to hold them together.

Then marvel at the fact that your stairs still creak. Mine did, despite trying both 1 and 3. A bit less than before, but not quiet.

V
Thanks for the help and thanks for the link TVM.

Doing a bootsale tomorrow. Amazing the amout of stuff you dont need in your new home. I'll have a little peek at it Sunday. Have a go and fixing it Monday and call out a joiner Tuesday (",)
Creaking Stairs - Pugugly {P}
If possible, empty the ketchup out first - Brilliant, an Eric Sykes moment.

PU Towers (the old bit) have creaky stairs that creak all on their ownsome........spooky but true.
Creaking Stairs - Mike-H
We had a terrible creak every time we walked into our bathroom, which came from the dividing wall. It turned out to be a 6" nail which was holding down the 4 x 2 on the floor bit of the stud wall, and pressure on the floorboards in the bathroom tries to pull the nail our slowly. It sounded like a door hinge in a horror film! WD40 fixed it.
Thanks to Xileno - Nsar
Quick post to Xileno for referring me the to Money Week article in last IHAQ on buying a 2nd home.

Think I'll wait at least 6 months and watch what happens - could be some bargains to be had!
Thanks to Xileno - Xileno {P}
I'm glad it was off use.
Why are phone companies... - David Horn
...trying so hard to lock people into 18 month contracts? My contract is due for renewal and there are no deals if you don't choose an 18 month contract. It sucks, and it's a shallow plan to extract money from the public. Does anyone know of a good plan (12 months) that offers the Sony Ericsson K800i with a decent number of free minutes, in the 25-30 pounds per month range. Don't care about provider or texts.

Cheers,

David.
Why are phone companies... - Adam {P}
Ring up and make out like you're going to leave if you don't get the phone you want. (Be prepared to leave)

Worked for me with the new (at the time) W810 which they weren't offering me, then were offering me for 50 quid, then nothing, then I got it for nothing and a month free.
Why are phone companies... - Dynamic Dave
Ring up and make out like you're going to leave if you don't get the phone you want.

That's previously worked for me on 3 occasions now.
Why are phone companies... - ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond
If you can pay for the phone yourself I would get a pay and go sim.

My o2 pay and go sim is £15 a month. For that I get 100 minutes anytime, 150 minutes evening and weekend (any phone) and the £15 stays on the phone. Plus with this you are not tied to a contract.
I could if I wanted just put a tenner in and that would give me 100 mins anytime.
Changing priorities II - SjB {P}
Continuing from thread www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=43537&...e now locked.

What started as a tongue in cheek observation resulted in some practical advice, so I'll share the outcome.

Mrs SjB had her heart set on a Rolls Royce of push chairs for the impending twins, namely www.emmaljunga.com/product.asp?bvid=8 whereas I had my practicality based head choosing the Out 'n About Nipper, a truly lightweight three wheeler twin pushchair. A Landrover Defender, if you like!

Today was D-day and both were road tested.

For ease of pushing and portability the Nipper wins hands down; amazingly light, picking it up (empty!) with one arm, fully locked and extended, using the shoulder socket as the only pivot, was easy. Incredible for a twin child pushchair of some substantial size, and despite this it was totally rigid in use. The downside of lightness is the fabric is more Ford Fiesta Pop (certainly not a Pop Plus, even!) than Roller; nothing more than stitched nylon fabric stretched over an alloy frame. No fancy flounces or whatever. Tough and durable though, it would take heavy use with ease and probably even jetwash cleaning if required! Ronseal advertising springs to mind.

For comfort and plushness of finish, the Emmaljunga wins hands down; superbly built, and it feels it. A real "Ahhh, Deddums" push chair. The downside is weight. Lots of it; imagining it had dirty wheels I didn't want to touch my clothes, I struggled to pick it up at all. The only way to get it in to the boot of the Volvo "easily" was to pitch it in to my stomach as well as lift it with my arms; a real contrast to the Nipper. It also only just fits in the V70 boot, seats up, plan-wise (height is no problem, of course).

Both were similarly "easy when you know how" to collapse (flick, flick, collapse, rather than pull this, push that, turn the other, "oh damn the first fastener has done itself up again") but the Emmaljunga had the edge on extending for use; it extends in one easy, smooth, clever, movement that interests me as an engineer as much as something like the new C70's three part folding hood! Very well done. Both fit through our front door and side gate, but the Emmaljunga by some margin has more storage space.

Anyway, what did "we" choose?
Yes, you guessed!

Despite an hour and a half of debate in the shop and a helpful assistant admitting she sells hardly any Emmaljunga Twin Cerox because most parents like the Nipper's extreme lightness and utilitarian ruggedness, we purchased the former! "Just let me choose something for once in my life". You get the type of conversation; we've all been there! Shrugs and reaches for bank card. "Very few husbands get to buy the pushchair they actually came in with a mission to purchase" says the assistant! To be fair, I chose her car for her so guess this can be considered payback, but it still frustrates when heart steamrollers through common sense.

I can see that for travelling - we also fly a lot - we'll end up with one of those McLaren Buggies that I hate with a passion, and Mrs SjB's expensive new purchase will end up with village use only.

The saving grace was the shop demo model being the colour Mrs SjB wanted, so we purchased it (as new, less one tiny scuff mark) for £425 instead of £525.

Cheers again for all the help...! ;-)

Changing priorities II - Altea Ego
you do realise, the longest post you have ever put on HJ is about:

baby buggies.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Changing priorities II - Pugugly {P}
As I said before "doomed"
Changing priorities II - Nsar
As the saying goes, you're confusing us with people who.....

Good luck, you're in for an "interesting" stage of your life. Update us round about 2016, but until then :)
As I said before "doomed"

Regrettably correct!
you do realise, the longest post you have ever put on
HJ is about:
baby buggies.

Gee, thanks for the reminder! ;-)
Mobile phone woes - Adam {P}
Hi all,

I've got a Sony Ericsson W810i which 3 weeks ago, stopped working. It was an intermittent fault that got worse; switching off mid call - then not coming on at all. I rang up "the company" and the first girl was really nice and said "No problem - we'll send a new phone out" but put me through to someone else who said "New phone? No way - you'll have to send it off for repair". Fair enough as I otherwise like the phone. I sent it off for repair and it was gone two weeks with me picking it up the day before yesterday. All seemed well - had a new software version on and they said they'd replaced the keypad?! Also, if the problem persisted, to send it with the battery next time. I categorically stated it wasn't the battery as it was doing the same thing with three of them. (One of them brand new).

Someone rang me this morning, guess what? Cut out. Thinking it might be low on power, I plugged it in and rang myself (I do that a lot) and before the thing even starts making a noise, off it goes.

I'm fairly annoyed as for the past two weeks I've been using a phone that needs charging up every time you send a text and when I ring up shortly, they're bound to say "Send it off to us for repair". I'm not doing this. I want a new phone (the same model) or cancel the contract. I'm only 3 or so months into my year though so can I do this given I have a faulty phone? Before you say "Read the contract", it's somewhere safe but I've no idea where so I will find it eventually - just not in time for this call.

Like I said, I'm not looking for an upgrade or anything - I'd be perfectly happy with the identical model phone - I just want to be in the position I was a month ago.

Many thanks,

Adam
Mobile phone woes - Pugugly {P}
Adam,

Phone them up (on a landline) ask to speak to a Supervisor, tell them your tale of woe. Get an E-mail address from them, cut and paste your post to them. Tell them that unless they sort it that you will terminate your contract. Tell them that you can't afford to be without your phone as your business life (eg. as an arms dealer in old Harrier bits) depends on having 24/7 access to it. No more nice guy now Adam.
Ohhh - they've made an enemy today.

Rang up - was on for about half an hour - needs to get sent off again. But I'd have to contact Sony-Ericsson customer services this time!I stated how this wasn't happening and I'd like to cancel the contract but apparently I'll be subject to a 170 quid termination fee.

I said - "But it's your phone - and it isn't working - why do I have to get it fixed?" but i was told it's my phone. So when I cancel the contract (which I will because i'm angry) I'll keep my phone and then see who it really belongs to.
I stuck to my guns but then she started getting quite short and I wasn't going to get anywhere with her. (My phone won't even bring up the *#06# IMEI number thing which she couldn't explain.

I've found the contract and I'm going to pore over it before ringing up again. No more Mister Nice Guy now - I want out.

Thanks for the advice PU, I'll let you know how I get on. Might need a brief - I've heard they like taking people to court over silly things!

Thanks,

Adam
I'm in the middle of writing a termination/complaint letter now - when I'm done, can someone take a read through it for me please?
Mobile phone woes - Stuartli
I would presume that the phone would come under the terms of the Sales of Goods Act, especially as it is claimed it is your phone...:-)

In other words not of merchantable quality.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Mobile phone woes - psi
Okay, let's draw from the 1979 sale of goods act:

Part 5a
48A Introductory

(1) This section applies if?
(a) the buyer deals as consumer or, in Scotland, there is a consumer contract in which the buyer is a consumer, and
(b) the goods do not conform to the contract of sale at the time of delivery.

(2) If this section applies, the buyer has the right?
(a) under and in accordance with section 48B below, to require the seller to repair or replace the goods, or
(b) under and in accordance with section 48C below?
(i) to require the seller to reduce the purchase price of the goods to the buyer by an appropriate amount, or
(ii) to rescind the contract with regard to the goods in question.

(3) For the purposes of subsection (1)(b) above goods which do not conform to the contract of sale at any time within the period of six months starting with the date on which the goods were delivered to the buyer must be taken not to have so conformed at that date.

(4) Subsection (3) above does not apply if?
(a) it is established that the goods did so conform at that date;
(b) its application is incompatible with the nature of the goods or the nature of the lack of conformity.

48B Repair or replacement of the goods
(1) If section 48A above applies, the buyer may require the seller?
(a) to repair the goods, or
(b) to replace the goods.

(2) If the buyer requires the seller to repair or replace the goods, the seller must?
(a) repair or, as the case may be, replace the goods within a reasonable time but without causing significant inconvenience to the buyer;
(b) bear any necessary costs incurred in doing so (including in particular the cost of any labour, materials or postage).

(5) Any question as to what is a reasonable time or significant inconvenience is to be determined by reference to?
(a) the nature of the goods, and
(b) the purpose for which the goods were acquired.

48C Reduction of purchase price or rescission of contract

(1) If section 48A above applies, the buyer may?
(a) require the seller to reduce the purchase price of the goods in question to the buyer by an appropriate amount, or
(b) rescind the contract with regard to those goods, if the condition in subsection (2) below is satisfied.

(2) The condition is that?

(a) by virtue of section 48B(3) above the buyer may require neither repair nor replacement of the goods; or
(b) the buyer has required the seller to repair or replace the goods, but the seller is in breach of the requirement of section 48B(2)(a) above to do so within a reasonable time and without significant inconvenience to the buyer.

(3) For the purposes of this Part, if the buyer rescinds the contract, any reimbursement to the buyer may be reduced to take account of the use he has had of the goods since they were delivered to him.

I would go along the lines of section 48c part 2 subsection B "the buyer has required the seller to repair or replace the goods, but the seller is in breach of the requirement of section 48B(2)(a) above to do so within a reasonable time and without significant inconvenience to the buyer. "

followed by sec.48C(1)(b) "rescind the contract with regard to those goods, if the condition in subsection (2) below is satisfied. " as they have not "repair or, as the case may be, replace the goods within a reasonable time but without causing significant inconvenience to the buyer; ", state that without your phone you are suffering undue inconvenience.
Well guys, I've written a four page letter and stuffed psi's post at the end of it. Thanks for that!

I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks for all the help,

Adam
Mobile phone woes - Dynamic Dave
Well guys, I've written a four page letter ....

Way too long, IMHO. Most of your letter will get overlooked after the first couple of paragraphs. Complaint letters should be kept short and to the point so as the person reading it doesn't lose interest midway through it.
Mobile phone woes - bell boy
Complaint letters should be kept short and to the point
<<<<<<<<<<
>>>>>>>>>>
i agree it should just say "give me a new damm phone",if that doesnt work i would reject it as they have tried to fix it once tell them they are breaking their contract of service get yourself to makro for the latest singing phone from motorola for £150+vat contract free and buy a sim card,if you have any problem in the next twelve months makro will go out of their way to keep you happy and if you get all your mates to phone you rather than the other way round you will be quids in in a years time.............
Mobile phone woes - JH
A,
don't forget - use registered / recorded / whatever it's called post.
JH
Mobile phone woes - Pugugly {P}
Adam,

Sleep on it - re-read the original letter and re-write it. The key to success in the legal world is the KISS* principle - a mantra I often repeat to myself.

*(Keep it Simple Stupid)

--
735310 - Total sense in an upside down world.
Mobile phone woes - daveyjp
On X day I bought a phone.

On Y day it broke down

on Z day it was returned repaired.

It's still broken

Sale of Goods Act obligations etc

I look forward to receiving a replacement phone by return

Job done in 6 lines!
Sorry davey - I didn't refresh before I typed my reply.

I want to cancel the whole contract - I might try short and to the point though.

I'll get on it now.

Thanks.
I've cut it down to just over three pages. It's a complaint and cancellation letter so I think it needs all the information in. If someone could take a look and advise me how to cut it down even further, I'd be most grateful.

Good idea on the recorded delivery by the way - didn't think of that.

Thanks,

Adam
Two pages.

I tinkered around with font sizes!
Sorry - last post - would I send it to Head Office or Customer Services?

I will sleep on it PU - just sorting everythign now!
Mobile phone woes - Stuartli
Make sure it's Special or Recorded Delivery so that someone has to sign for it...:-)
Mobile phone woes - Robbie
Adam, you should keep it to no more than one side of A4. It shouldn't be that difficult. Don't quote huge chunks of the Sale of Goods Act etc., just the relevant section, viz. I am cancelling my contract ,as I am entitled to, under The Sale of Goods Act, Section 2, para 3. as you have failed to .....etc.
Mobile phone woes - Dry bearings
Adam,did you use a credit card to buy it? If so reportit to them AFAIK they are equally culpable.
Mobile phone woes - mfarrow
Sorry - last post - would I send it to Head
Office or Customer Services?

Customer Services, as I feel that's where the Head Office letter would be forwarded to.

But I agree, too long, though I know how difficult it is to cut things down when complaining! Just cut out any "I was promised a new phone over the 'phone but later told no" bits and just tell them what you want.

--------------
Mike Farrow
Cruising - blue_haddock
No i'm not about to go for a blast round Festival Park in a bad boy nova!

In a couple of weeks i'm off on a cruise up the norwegian fjords with Fred Olsen and having read some of the stuff they've sent it seem like i'm going to be the youngest on board by about half a century.

Have any of you lot got any experience of this sort of thing? It seems like it's going to be extremely formal with a couple of black tie evenings and other evenings requiring me to be suited and booted. Would i be able to get away with just a shirt and tie combo?

More importantly how much am i looking at onboard for a pint?

Any help or even just general info would be gratefully received as i think i'm going to quite literally be a a fish out of water!

{Moved to the right part of the thread, as per the "PLEASE NOTE" message at the start of this thread - DD}
Cruising - bell boy
black prince?
Cruising - Phil I
The Fred Olsen cruises are really targetted at the 60plus market. Went on one couple of years ago , very enjoyable but at 74 was one of the younger people on board. Lots of rich widows tho if you are in that market. :-))

Phil I
Cruising - blue_haddock
I know they are for the older market - i will be escorting my nan (84). The rich old widow had crossed my mind!

It's the Braemar we're sailing on.
Cruising - bell boy
good............
type in telegraph.....uk ......go to travel........type in fred olsen and you might get some pointers as a review was done in the travel section about 3 weeks ago......
let us know how you got on as i quite fancy a cruise,ive worked out that it normally equates to £100 per person per day mind........before spends
Cruising - blue_haddock
ive worked out that it normally equates to £100 per
person per day mind........before spends

Not if your nan is paying!
Cruising - kennybase
I can relate exactly to what you're about to experience. I have accompanied a disabled relative of mine on 6 P&O Cruises in the last few years. She is also of a certain age, and me being a young free and single 18 year old (as I was when I started out anyway!) I was a bit worried about everything. Should never have worried though - spent the days with Pat, making sure she was ok etc, but then the evenings were mine. It may be slightly different as there are a few young people on the P&O ships, but at the end of the day I usually ended up chatting to the older passengers anyway!

Only thing I will say is - watch the bar bill - on my first cruise, after 2 weeks I'd run up a £800 bill!!! After that one, Pat didn't want to pay my bar bill anymore!

Hope you enjoy it as much as I did! Can't wait to go back, but this time they'll be my other half and our little one! A huge difference in holiday experience I think!
735310 - Total sense in an upside down - adverse camber
I'm just curious - whats this all about then?

735310 - Total sense in an upside down world.

Most sigs I understand, this one I dont.
735310 - Total sense in an upside down - No FM2R
Type that number into your phone. Turn the phone around so that the display is upside down. Does anything ring a 7738 ?
735310 - Total sense in an upside down - adverse camber
Ahhh! All is revealed.

cheers

735310 - Total sense in an upside down - Dynamic Dave
But Diesel begins with a D, not an O
Wow, again my knowledge increases because of the Backroom. Diesel begins with a D not an O !! Imagine my shock when I realised I'd missed that one all this time.

Oick.
735310 - Total sense in an upside down - Robin Reliant
Lucky Oynmic Oave was here to put you right.
--
Robin Reliant, formerly known as Tom Shaw
735310 - Total sense in an upside down - Xileno {P}
An old favorite:

735310 - Total sense in an upside down - nick
I think you chaps need to get out more.
Another...

4+ 57734 = 57738
735310 - Total sense in an upside down - Altea Ego
Ye Gods, we pay the captains of industry a small fortune to sit at their desks and mess around with mobile phones.

I bet your PA is groaning under pressure of work.

TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
735310 - Total sense in an upside down - Pugugly {P}
I was waiting for someone to ask. Oisappointed it was so easy to work out. I nickeo it from a BOSCH ao - which wasn't crap by the way. It looks like a D when you use a std. LCD display. Have to think a new one up now.
>>I bet your PA is groaning under pressure of work

Naturally - somebody has got to keep the place running while I'm in here !!
Red tower over IOW - Doc
At the weekend I was on the Dorset coast (Swanage) and noticed a very tall red coloured tower (only visible at night) which appears to be on the south coast of the IOW.

None of the locals, including the lifeboat men, know what it is.
It must be extremely high,as it appears to be at least three times the height of the needles.
Any ideas?

Red tower over IOW - bell boy
probably a barrage balloon for cowes week?
Red tower over IOW - Altea Ego
www.trinityhouse.co.uk/interactive/gallery/needles...l
this one?
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Red tower over IOW - Stuartli
Could it be this:

Needles, Isle of Wight.
A tall red and white painted stone circular tower lighthouse with a traditional light currently operated by Trinity House and situated at the base of the Needles chalk promontory at the western edge. There is no sign of the earlier cliff top Freshwater lighthouse. Built in 1859 the tower is 109 feet high and the light is visible for 15 miles.

Less likely:

Egypt Point, Isle of Wight.
A tall red column with a white lantern situated at Egypt Point near the west side of the entrance to Cowes Harbour. First lit in 1897 by Trinity House, it became redundant in 1989 and was handed over to the Local Authority in 1997 to be maintained as a landmark. The tower is 25 feet high and the light was visible for 10 miles.

See:

www.michaelmillichamp.ukgateway.net/page2.html

If it is, it would be surprising if the lifeboat men don't know what it is...:-)
Red tower over IOW - Doc
Could it be this:
Needles, Isle of Wight.
A tall red and white painted stone circular tower lighthouse with
a traditional light currently operated by Trinity House and situated at
the base of the Needles chalk promontory at the western edge.

Wrong position and much higher.

Red tower over IOW - henry k
At the weekend I was on the Dorset coast (Swanage) and noticed a very tall red coloured tower (only visible at night) which appears to be on the south coast of the IOW.

Red coloured or having a red warning light ( only visible at night) ?

Could it be the Rowridge BBC Transmitter? South West of Newport and half way to the coast.
Certainly on the Swanage side.

www.gwoodaerials.co.uk/local_transmitter_info.html

www.arar93.dsl.pipex.com/mds975/txmaps/hampshire.h...l
Red tower over IOW - Doc
>
Could it be the Rowridge BBC Transmitter?
www.gwoodaerials.co.uk/local_transmitter_info.html
www.arar93.dsl.pipex.com/mds975/txmaps/hampshire.h...l

Possible, but Rowridge is "only" 135 metres high!
Also, the entire tower is lighted.

Red tower over IOW - henry k
Could it be the Rowridge BBC Transmitter?
Possible, but Rowridge is "only" 135 metres high! Also, the entire tower is lighted.

In that case it does not seem to be a transmitter.
so the following map does not help?
tx.mb21.co.uk/mapsys/anatv/rowridge.asp

( amazing - there seems to be a site for everything)
Red tower over IOW - Doc
> >>
In that case it does not seem to be a transmitter.
so the following map does not help?
tx.mb21.co.uk/mapsys/anatv/rowridge.asp

The tower seems to be located on the southern tip of the IOW.

Red tower over IOW - Pugugly {P}
We rather helpfully provide any potential enemy with everything don't we. From grid references through to helpful recci. pictures. Amazing.
Wot is It? - drbe
Wot is it?

Or even, wos it for?

On the M25 at J15 on the outside of the motorway (West) there is/are a tall tower/ two tall towers, with a spiral attachment on the outside.

What is it, what is it for and can I have one?
Wot is It? - type's'
I know BP have some exploration drills erected in that area but they are more near Studland and Brownsea - and presumably would not be that high.

Why did I just type that then ?
London theatre tickets - PoloGirl
Hoping to head to London on Saturday to see a show. I remember when I was younger you used to be able to turn up to a kiosk (in Leicester square?) and buy tickets on the day for a variety of shows.

Can you still do this? Is it worth it? Where's the best place to go? Is Mary Poppins any good?

Thanks!

London theatre tickets - blue_haddock
There are still a large number of cut price ticket booths dotted around leicester square and the general theatre land area.
London theatre tickets - helicopter
The ONLY worthwhile place is the TKTS booth on its own in the middle of Leicester Square.

The tickets are all top quality seats front row stalls / dress circle at half price so you are still talking £20 to £25 for a seat but you are limited to what is available on the day. they have a big board outside with the shows on offer.

Do not use any other booths / shops around Leicester Square - they are expensive and you never know where you are going to end up , ie behind a pillar with a restricted view in the back stalls.

I would always try direct to the theatre box office on the day as well - except for the very top shows at weekends you can almost always get a seat.
London theatre tickets - helicopter
I haven't seen the show so I cannot recommend Mary Poppins but seats may be difficult on Saturday.Box office is 020 7494 5048, website www.marypoppins themusical.co.uk

If you want a nice pre theatre dinner try Browns in St Martins Lane.
London theatre tickets - Pugugly {P}
We Will Rock You - brilliant, superb.....!
London theatre tickets - bell boy
We Will Rock You - brilliant, superb.....!

wife went up the smoke last year and loved this......
London theatre tickets - Stuartli
Virtually any live big theatre production is an experience that will never be forgotten.
London theatre tickets - Pugugly {P}
Les Mis was.
London theatre tickets - Armitage Shanks {p}
I saw the Bolshoi Ballet Swan Lake in Birmingham a couple of months ago and it iwas so good I am seeing it again at the Royal Opera House - there might still be tickets if Ballet is your scene! Finishes on Wed 16th.
London theatre tickets - Stargazer {P}
PG,

Took my family to see MP during its pre-West End run in Bristol. Even though I am not a big musicals fan the show was quite amazing. Definitely worth seeing.

StarGazer
London theatre tickets - commerdriver
Is Mary Poppins any good?

Can't resist it my kids loved the film when they were young
Is says on the tape measure

Mary Poppins - Practically Perfect in every Way
cheques in the euro-zone - tyro
Someone who lives in the Republic of Ireland told me that his bank said that instead sending a cheque by post to someone in another country that uses Euros, he should use a bank draft.

That struck me as odd. Anyone know why it is?

The only answer that I could think of was the lack of security of postal services. (Unless of course it is because the bank can charge you more for a draft.)
cheques in the euro-zone - Gromit {P}
"Someone who lives in the Republic of Ireland told me that his bank said that instead sending a cheque by post to someone in another country that uses Euros, he should use a bank draft....Anyone know why it is?"

Its because there is no central clearning house for the euro-zone countries - so if I send a cheque drawn on my Irish bank to Germany, for example, they have no means of accessing the funds from my account. Instead, the banks issue euro drafts which use the same clearing mechanism as applied before the euro was introduced.

Incidentally, they use a different form of bank draft for euro transactions within Ireland - either is more expensive than a cheque, with the overseas version costing most.

As for security, its as well to send the draft by recorded delivery (or courier) - the bank considers it to be like cash, so if its lost in the post, you're out of pocket, not the bank!

- Gromit
Thanks, Gromit
Gromit - After a moment's thought, I have another question.

What would happen with regards to the hypothetical German recipient of your hypothetical Irish cheque? Would his bank find some way of getting the money from your account, or would he contact you and say "Sorry, your cheque is unacceptable - please send me a draft"?
"What would happen with regards to the hypothetical German recipient of your hypothetical Irish cheque?"

Having also had the problem of how to pay someone in another eurozone country, what would happened is that the hypothetical German's bank would return the cheque to him as unacceptable. He would then ask for either a euro draft or an electronic transfer of funds instead.

(Oddly, the one exception to this is sending cheques between the UK and Ireland! Bank of Ireland have branches in both countries, so they will allow me lodge a cheque drawn on a UK bank to my account and then process it by sending to their UK head office to clear via the UK clearing house, subject to a reasonably low handling charge.)

- Gromit
cheques in the euro-zone - Armitage Shanks {p}
I sent a friend some emergency funds the other day and got a good exchange rate and was charged a £21 fee. This was electronic and fast, not a cheque. A draft is a 'bank'cheque and they charge a fee for issuing it and then you post it. An Irish Euro cheque sent to a man to pay into a euro account in, say, France would be worth the euro amount but I am sure there would be an inter-bank fee for handing it. It is a tricky area - lots of ways of moving money and fees for all of them!
Of all countries, the French banking system is the most difficult to deal with - French law requires that all transactions are completely traceable, so they're not keen on handling cheques issued outside France.

You are of course correct, AS, to say that if I send a 100 euro cheque from Ireland to France it is still worth 100 euro to the recipient. But there is no central facility for the banks in eurozone countries to process cheques from outside their own country, unless individaul banks make their own arrangement (as Bank of Ireland did for the UK).

Another obstacle is that French companies don't like foreign cheques, as within France a personal cheque is guaranteed by the Treasury - when I lived there, if I wrote a cheque without funds to pay it, the bank would pay it regardless, then pass the debt to the Treasury, who would add it to my tax bill. The idea was to make it nigh on impossible to default on payments.

- Gromit
cheques in the euro-zone - daveyjp
I was in my Abbey branch the other week and someone was trying to sort out a transaction involving a Spanish bank - I think they wanted to transfer cash from their Abbey account to a current account they had in Spain. As with Armitgae there were charges for the transaction. The customer was advised to move their Spanish account to Santander Bank as they are now all the same organisation and charges are low for transferring money between the UK and Spain. Abbey account holders using Santander Bank cash points also get 2% cash back which just about wipes out any overseas cash withdrawal charges.
cheques in the euro-zone - artful dodger {P}
>>Someone who lives in the Republic of Ireland told me that his bank said that instead sending a cheque by post to someone in another country that uses Euros, he should use a bank draft.

Tyro, I cannot see why he cannot use his own cheque. I regularly buy from 2 art dealers, one from Spain and the other from Germany, and I pay them in Pounds with my normal cheque book. Neither has an account in Pounds and banks the cheque in their respective accounts in their own country. I suspect the charges are slightly higher, but this has never worried either of them.

--
Roger
I read frequently, but only post when I have something useful to say.
Good point, Roger.

In fact, come to think of it, I have in the past been sent dollar cheques from the USA, and paid them into my account in this country.

So I'm as puzzled as ever.
cheques in the euro-zone - Group B
In fact, come to think of it, I have in the
past been sent dollar cheques from the USA, and paid them
into my account in this country.

Did you not get charged a fee for paying in cheques in US dollars?
When I first started on ebay 5 years ago, I told a buyer from the States that I wanted payment by £GBP money order, but then a $USD cheque arrived. I tried my bank, the post office, and a travel agent bureau de change, and they all wanted around a £8 to £10 processing fee. The value of the cheque was only around £50 IIRC, so I had to tell the buyer it was unacceptable. Might be different with larger sums of money? Good job they invented Paypal...