Vauxhall Astra - Roobarb
I have a Vauxhall Astra 1995, thats pinking....What is the correct octane sensor to use in one of these?
Vauxhall Astra - Screwloose
posh

There were quite a few versions of the Astra in 95: which one is yours? Engine size/code would help. Has it actually got an octane plug? Are you in the UK?
Vauxhall Astra - Roobarb
C14NZ is the engine code, 1400 cc, yes apparently got an octane sensor...I'm in the UK sometimes...
Vauxhall Astra - Roobarb
For some reason my previous response has dissappeared?!
Vauxhall Astra - Dynamic Dave
I removed the "conversation" you were having with tommyboy as it wasn't relevant to your question.

DD. BR Moderator.
posh

Ah; so this isn't a UK-spec car? All UK C14NZ cars built after 01/01/93 had cats and thus could only use 95RON unleaded [that's all there was at the time.] Only the leaded/unleaded non-cat ones really needed octane changing plugs. Yours should be a reversible 220 ohm one for standard unleaded if it's UK spec, or a zero ohms one for export markets using 91RON fuel. What's the problem you're having?
Vauxhall Astra - Roobarb
Hi Screwloose, No its a UK car, just need to know what sensor it should have originally, as its pinking quite badly.....95 I take it then?
posh

Yes; 95 was standard for the UK; turn it round for 91, but neither will cause pinking. Have you checked the timing. These are set mark to mark; that pointer's 5 degrees, not a TDC mark. Or is there some diesel in the fuel. When/why did it start doing it?
Vauxhall Astra - Roobarb
Thanks for your help Screwloose, I shall change the spark plugs and check the timing...The pinking started a few weeks back....