standard 10 - mrmender
just been offerd one for nothing. i'm known localy as a bit of a wesley type chachater from last of the summer wine. its been in a garage for about 10 years........................Lud Help!!!
I've been told to get rid, or basicaly do as i like, scrap or do as i want. It looks good on first inspection it needs NO welding, but body is tatty
standard 10 - bell boy
not the most best looking of cars but also not the most common anymore..........
please dont scrap it............
standard 10 - Avant
If you decide not to keep it, advertise it in a magazine like Practical Classics, and someone will probably buy it and restore it.

I don't know if this is a 30s or a 50s Standard 10, but anything from that era is seen as a classic (through rarity), even a Standard 10.
standard 10 - Lud
I assume it's a fifties one, like a Standard 8 to look at, mm? Didn't the 8 have no bootlid, entry through rear door with seat backs folded down? Must have been necessary for structural stiffness reasons, too jelly-like with a boot opening.

Please don't scrap it mm. Does it run or can it be made to without huge expenditure? I do believe you may be just the man to do it if you can be bothered. Might make the next project after Traka?

If it's prewar or late 40s - I think although am not sure they went on producing the prewar one for a few years - it should be quite valuable if restorable. Not for everyone of course. But I seem to remember they were quite well-respected cars although less common then Austin, Morris and Ford.
standard 10 - tr7v8
Only basic early 8 had no bootlid, later ones and all Supers had boots. Nowt to do with stiffness & everything to do with money saving. Heaters were optional on the basic as well. My father had a Super 8 for quite a few years, brush painted in signal red & grey Valspar looked lovely. I was 8years old at the time so that makes it 41 years ago. eg. 1965 yelp. The missus won't thank me for it but I could be interested if you don't want it.
standard 10 - SjB {P}
Dad learned to drive, and then took his test, in a Standard 8.
During the test the gear change got stiffer and stiffer, and then the examiner complained his leg was wet and warm... with gearbox oil!

Dad passed the test but got a laundry bill! ;-)
standard 10 - Lud
A friend at school had a brother, well acquainted with high-powered machinery already, who took his test in a rally-prepared DKW normally driven by one Walther Schluter I think.

Seeing the tester already frowning and reaching for the grab handle, the brother (a total hooligan if his sibling was anything to go by) realised he had had it for this time and unleashed an uninhibited display of heavily-tweaked three-cylinder two-stroke front-drive rally-style fireworks, reducing the tester to a tottering wreck.

He failed the test. I wonder if he too got a laundry bill?
standard 10 - henry k
If you decide not to keep it, advertise it in a magazine like Practical Classics, and someone will probably buy it and restore it.

Or talk to the very very keen types
www.standardmotorclub.org.uk/cars/newtemplatecars....m

As always, I am amazed at the state of some of these and yet they are being restored - in Finland, Noway & Aus.
www.standardmotorclub.org.uk/cars/eights/features/...m

If it has survived this long, find it a good home.
standard 10 - AlastairW
I assume you mean this sort of standard 10 www.emdac.demon.co.uk/phil/standard/index.html
rather than these ones en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_Motor_Company
standard 10 - pmh
Now this is a question for the older members!
Having browsed the links above I note that the Standard 8 and the 10 had engine sizes of 803cc and 948cc respectively. Is it pure coincidence thatthis was exactly the same capacity as the competing Austin A series engines at the time? Or was it driven by some complex taxation regime?

--

pmh (was peter)

standard 10 - tr7v8
Not that damn old but yes it was driven by taxation as they were 8 & 10HP respectively & these were "step" levels in taxation class. Bear in mind that the original 803cc standard lump ran from the 8 in 53 or whenever the first one appeared right the way through to the 1500CC lump used in late Spitfires & MG Midgets all based oon the same engine block effectively! No wonder the 1500 was a tad fragile!
And of course with 2 extra cylinders made the 1600, 2000 & 2500 straight six lumps.
standard 10 - mrmender
Latest update.... it is a 1958 model whith what appears 80k on the clock after a bit of tinkering i managed to fire her up. Brakes required all round and a respray and possibly 2 new front wings
Not my cup of tea at all,but have managed to pass it on to a local Triumph enthusiast for a small donation to charity. He will pick it up tomorrow or Saturday. so rest assured its going to a good home
standard 10 - bell boy
make sure number plate aint worth gold afore it goes
standard 10 - Lud
Well done mm... saved another old motor for posterity. Of course you and I know that it's not a classic but I suppose that's what it will be called.

How amazing that it should still be almost a runner after all that time.
standard 10 - Pugugly {P}
Doesnt matter does it Lud. Every effort should be made be they grey porridge or not - even Morris Marina examples deserves to be preserved.
standard 10 - Lud
I agree PU, as evidently does mm. If it's old it's worth seeing, if it's rare it's precious. There's something quite agreeable about the leisurely way cars used to go about their work. I quite fancy a model T Ford myself although I imagine they're fairly horrible.
standard 10 - SjB {P}
>>I quite fancy a model T Ford

At a Brooklands open day a few years ago I watched a model T Ford driven by "Laurel & Hardy" repeatedly attempt the Test Hill! With a flying run instead of the normal standing start on the hill itself it would crawl to about 3/4 of the way up before grinding to a complete halt, period music belting out of a portable system hidden in the "picnic hamper", L&H aping around! Reckon it probably needed some tinkering afterwards!
standard 10 - Lud
As I supposed, fairly horrible! Perhaps a mildly tweaked lightweight example, wd help the brakes to work better too... Of course in their day they were extensively modified and raced in America, and there are many sporting model T specials still around.
standard 10 - Pugugly {P}
The Model T Ford Tdci is by far the best in the range
standard 10 - Screwloose

I used to look after a powder blue one for an old lady. She passed her test in about '51; went down to the local garage and told them she needed a car. They showed her one and said "This is a car." " Fine; then that's what I want" she replied and gave them the £600 sticker price for it. She always kept it garaged; only ever used it on Thursdays[?] - never even thought of changing it - it was still mint and had only done 41K by '94.

I only drove it for a MOT and it still ranks as the most basic and horrible car that I've ever driven.
standard 10 - THe Growler
Horrible perhaps today but remember this was a car produced postwar with limited facilities and materials when new cars of any sort were hard to come by and anything worthwhile went for export. Judging it by today;'s standards is pointless. "Basic" motoring in those days was a sought after achievement by the average family. I remember my Pa coming home with one of the first Hillman Huskys in1957, a rickety thing with a chuffing sidevalve engine in which we toured large parts of England. To us it was freedom indeed and each journey was an adventure rather than just the boring bit between A and B it is today. I even passed my test in it at 17!

I think a lot of people over 60 would remember the Standard 10 and its peers with a certain amount of fondness.
standard 10 - Collos25
The 8 did not have a boot lid unlike the 10, you accessed it from the the rear seat if I remember correctly a friends parents had one it would do all of of 60mph down hill with a tail wind.There was also a posh version called a Pennant now you had to be rich if you had one of those it even had a heater.
standard 10 - tr7v8
Only applied to early 8's later ones and all Supers had boots. Yup very slow & the Pennant was indeed the up market version. We had an 8 & then a Pennant, the Pennant didn't last long as most of the body was filler & newspaper!
The 8 went everywhere frequently 7 up 4 adults & us 3 boys. And was reasonably reliable, but was sold for a 1963 Mk1 Cortina which Iinherited when I started driving.
standard 10 - Zebra
My first car was a 56 Standard 8 in mushy-pea green (RJF 23). Nothing much by today's standards, but it went, it stopped, it kept the rain out, mostly, and it was mine.

A big end failed catastrophically, so I put in a 1247(?) cc engine from a scrap Standard 10 van. A big difference from the original 803 cc! (And the insurers weren't in the least fazed by the change.) It went like a little green rocket on an ocean of torque (apologies for the metted mixaphores) until I crashed it on the interesting bends between Cross Foxes and Dolgellau, near the Brithdir turn.

I recently had the chance to inspect a preserved 8, which brought back happy memories of that simple functionality.

Zebra
standard 10 - Lud
I even passed my test in it at 17!
I think a lot of people over 60 would remember the
Standard 10 and its peers with a certain amount of fondness.

Indeed Growler, and without idealising them what's more... Not totally sure the Husky had side valves though, it was a plain smallish car with for those days a biggish engine (1600cc?). My parents knew a naval officer in Bath who had one and when about 18 I went down to Plymouth in it with him. To my considerable pleasure he cruised it at 80 down the old Fosse Way...
standard 10 - percy
Friend of mine had one nearly 40 years ago. One day he said it was clattering a bit. So I lent him my dad's Elora socket set (still got it) and he managed to get the sump off after cracking the 9/16 socket open on the suspension. The clattering was the crown of one of the pistons rattling up and down the bore! There was enough meat on it so that it didn't tip and cause a disaster. Friend then went round to the local scrapper, got another piston and away he went. Didn't even bother to change any shells. That was motoring!
standard 10 - expat
A friend of mine had one of those Standards in the 60s. I drove it down to Prestwich one day and was going round the roundabout near the end of the airport runway when there was an almighty bang and an over powering smell of paraffin. We nearly wet ourselves. Thought that the old bomb had blown up. What had actually happened was a Starfighter was doing touch and bumps on the airport runway. It had blasted off and at the end of the runway the pilot stood it on its tail and lit the afterburner. We were right underneath!
standard 10 - bathtub tom
I had a super ten that had a remarkable habit of shedding wheels. The centre would remain bolted to the hub, but the rest would part company. After the second occurance, I examined the remaining three wheels, they were all cracked!
IIRC police 2.5 PIs had a similar problem at the same time.