advice on 2003 Mondeo Ghia - F1driver
I went to local main dealer to have a test test in a 130BHP diesel Mondeo to get a feel for the car and its drive.
I did spot a car which had supposedly reduced from 9495 to 8495.

I did notice the car was less than perfect.. with scuff marks on front bumper and and intrusion mark with foam appearing from inside bumper. I also noted some impefection on the bodywork on the front left hand wing and left front alloy wheel badly scuffed. All this from a main dealer! I thought I would see what I price I cud get for my own car.. being Renault Laguna 1.8RT on a P 2006 plate. I knew i would not get much for it.. but asked £1000 for it.
They offered 320 for it.. I asked for 500 and got it. I then said if they reduce the price to 7500 they would get a deal that day. The sales person then consulted manager after lengthy discussion he agreed!

According to Parkers book price for car being on forecourt is about 9300 for a main dealer and i have secured it for 7500 which is a bargain in my eyes, despite imperfections which can be ironed out.
But thinking back now after paying a deposit to the imperfection on bodywork made me realise that it was bodywork fill and the alloys bady scuffed may indicate it had been in a accident on that side of the car.

Qustion - you reject a car now thinking it had been in a accident.. despite paying a deposit - or forget that knowing it drives ok and that I have a good deal!

Although in a way.. the price for the car i have secured it for is a very good price especially from a main dealer..and parkers price guide indicates 9300 for main dealer forecourt price and 7200 for part exchange so they have not made a profit but cleared the forecourt for cash. Your views please.

Should read in posting above (excuse spelling errors!).. question - would you reject a car knowing it had.....

Also forgot to mention this diesel has only 29304 miles on clock.. most other dealers of independants are offering 8000 - 9000 for cars with 40 - 60K on clock surfing through internet.
advice on 2003 Mondeo Ghia - Thommo
Erm... without trying to be offensive shouldn't you have actually asked what had happened to the car to get it in to its current state BEFORE doing a deal and paying a deposit?

Sounds like the cars had a hard bang on the left front. Could be anything from minor panel damage which is why your getting a cheapish car to a twisted chassis which would need straightening on a jig.

But as I say all questions that needed answering BEFORE you did a deal.

What are you now trying to do? Withdraw from the deal or re-negotiate?
unfortunately it did not twig at the time the connection with the badly scuffed alloy wheel and slightly inperfect body repair.. But if anything if the car was twisted perhaps that would be reflected in steering problems which i I did not feel in driving it.
in some ways if the car is going through a main dealer - I would have thought they would not have sold it on forecourt with a twisted chassis.. and bear in mind its a good price for a Ghia Mondeo with 130 Diesel.. I could not re-negiotate i dont think.. but i would be prepared to go through with it.. your thoughts? If i thought i had to with draw i lose only £200 deposit
advice on 2003 Mondeo Ghia - Pugugly {P}
It's a gamble - you should be able to get the wheels refurbished and the bumper scuffs dealt with. May be as well to look at the tracking and the such like....
advice on 2003 Mondeo Ghia - Simon
Its probably only had a minor prang on the front nearside corner and been 'repaired' poorly. I think that people are worrying too much going on about a twisted chassis and needing jigging. If if was that bad that a: it would be obvious and b: wouldn't be on sale on a main dealers forecourt. They are not going to sell a bent car, but they can't fix every scratch, dent and mark on second hand cars on their forecourt. If it was me I would stick with the deal (working from the info that you have told us), get the wheel refurshbished, have the tracking checked and maybe have the bumper fixed too.
advice on 2003 Mondeo Ghia - Number_Cruncher
>>They are not going to sell a bent car ...

This demonstrates faith in the integrity of main dealers which is almost touching!

IME, they will sell anything that they think they will get away with. If they don't think they can get away with it, the car will go out to a trader or to the auction.

Number_Cruncher

advice on 2003 Mondeo Ghia - Thommo
Simon 'probably' exactly but when parting with the thick end of 4 Archers would 'probably' work for you?

NC. Yes the faith in the magic words 'main dealer' is touching. Those countless TV exposes must all be lies. Wonder if they still believe in Narnia?

F1. I am not a legal expert but if you've signed to do a deal then a deal you have signed to do. Your liability is for the deal you have signed, I would read the contract pronto. If you withdraw you may not only lose your deposit about if they sell the car for less I believe you could be on the hook for the difference.

Best way forward would seem to be a full inspection.
advice on 2003 Mondeo Ghia - Stuartli
My best mate bought a year-old 2.0 Mondeo Ghia in March last year (in fact he bought two at the time after initially agreeing a price for the first).

Mileage was about 14k and the windscreen price was a very keen £8,995 from one of the country's biggest dealers - he also got first class trade-in prices for his two three-year-old Mondeo 1.8 LX exchanges (the other was used by his business partner).

He had taken my advice to negotiate for just one car at first, got a deal with which he was very happy, and then got an even better deal because he wanted the second Mondeo.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
advice on 2003 Mondeo Ghia - Pugugly {P}
F1 Driver,

If they do sell you a bent car, there are various courses of action you can take, not least ask for your cash back (nicely) have it checked out by an indie somewhere, basicalluy you seem to have had a good deal, what warranty are they offering ?
advice on 2003 Mondeo Ghia - Bill Payer
To be honest:

"scuff marks on front bumper and and intrusion mark with foam appearing from inside bumper. I also noted some impefection on the bodywork on the front left hand wing and left front alloy wheel badly scuffed."

doesn't sound like it's had anything very serious happen to it (although depends on the extent of the "imperfection" - are talking about a rippled front wing?).

I would expect a main dealer to sort these things out before delivery - was it explicity agreed that the car was being sold 'as is'?

Also, is it being sold as Ford Direct? If so, you can return the car if unhappy with it.
advice on 2003 Mondeo Ghia - Micky
How is the car advertised? Why not have the car inspected? If the report isn't good and the car is not as described, back out of the purchase and ask the dealer to return the deposit; if he refuses then point out that the car is not as advertised. If you buy it without inspection, keep the advert and make sure that the dealer doesn't add any comments to the invoice/receipt. If the car is not as advertised then you have a claim against the dealer, but don't go back to the dealer after 3 months and point out the accident damage, he'll claim that the accident occurred after purchase.

Current Mondeo prices should be dropping through the floor with the new model on the horizon. I've bought 3 Mondeos from dealers, all three were at "trade" price, but then what is "trade" price? Parkers etc are only guides.
I realise this is the petrol equivalent, but Fords of Winsford (Ford is the family name rather than the marque) has a 2003 Mondeo 2.0 Ghia for £6,499:

tinyurl.com/p6tnq

A diesel engine is not worth two or three thousand pounds extra.

Fords of Winsford, by the way, is one of the most popular car supermarkets in the UK and has an excellent reputation.
All...
I have out and just got back in! and found all your responses! Thanks for all taking the trouble to respond.

Thinking back I think i have over reaction to the possible bodywork repair, it may even be a paint chip just touched up. Talking to another dealer today..they said this car represents good value.. especially as car is only 29,000 miles.. and me looking at dealers over internet any Ghia TDCI is around £8000 - £8500 for around 40K to 65K

Like one of you pointed out a main dealer are unlikely to sell a duff car and mileage is likely to be genuine from a main dealer. I would not normally have gone to a main dealer as their mark up is so much higher! But peace of mind and being a local dealer. In anycase any of the impefections i haved asked them to put right.

As for Fords of Winsford - I suspect the £6495 car was probably a 60K miles example.. and is the petrol engine.

Apparently the Diesel version can return up to 50mpg and I had another pleasant surprise in that Road Tax is reduced to £135 becuase of cleaner emissions! based on me doing 10 - 12K a year including road tax represents a saving of £500 in fuel costs and road tax savings.
So I will continue with purchasing the car. Thanks all.

advice on 2003 Mondeo Ghia - Adam {P}
>>As for Fords of Winsford - I suspect the £6495 car was probably a 60K miles example.. and is the petrol engine.<<

The car Stuart refers to has 42k on not 60.

You say you will save 500 quid a year - how long do you plan on keeping the car? Might not be worth paying the (so much) extra for a diesel.
Adam..
you refer to Stuart mentioning it was only 42,000 miles - stuart please accept my apologies for even thinking at had 60K on clock..

I just really fancied the diesel version and the encomony considering the petrol and diesel prices rising.. and getting more mileage for my money out of that size car. It seems the diesel car fetch a premium as more and more people going for diesel versions i guess.

I dunno how long i will keep the car.. more like 5- 7 years or until i get substantially more money coming in than going out!
advice on 2003 Mondeo Ghia - Adam {P}
That's fine then! If you want a diesel, go for it. It's just that some people automatically assume a diesel car will work out cheaper no matter what. My mate being a prime example - went out and bought a nearly new diesel Seat Ibiza for much more than the petrol variant was worth, realised diesel was more expensive, he drove around town and did about 7,000 miles a year. He quickly sold it less than 6 months later! However, a lot of people like how diesels drive more than petrols. I think the mileage quoted at which a diesel becomes more economical than a petrol is if you do 15-18k a year.

Good luck with whatever you decide to buy.

Adam
Adam..
True that people automatically assume diesel will be cheaper no matter what.. and I did hear that generally its more enomonic if you do more like 18K plus a year like you said. Hmm about your mate..I wonder what my experience is going to be like! if it does not work out cheaper I can always sell the car! Thanks for your good luck! I need it! Dorian
>>I suspect the £6495 car was probably a 60K miles example..>>

I would have thought you would have checked out the example before "suspecting"...:-)

As I pointed out earlier, Fords of Winsford is a very well regarded and successful outlet.

I know many people who have bought cars there over the years, including my offspring, and they go back time and time again for a replacement; that's despite the fact it's quite some distance from where we all live.
Apologies about the above posting's mixup - I read your comment whilst scrolling down and responded immediately...:-)

I've since noticed Adam's contribution.
PS

To be honest, like others, I think the price you are paying is over the top.

Here's an example of what you could have got (and probably for less with some haggling):

www.availablecar.com/kcom/response.asp?querytype=7...7
advice on 2003 Mondeo Ghia - googolplex
I've just recently been offered £5K trade in on my 03 Mondeo TDCI Ghia Estate at 67K miles. I've kept the car... I think you could get cheaper. Try some of the car supermarkets - some real bargains around.
Splodgeface
been offered £5K trade in on my 03 Mondeo TDCI Ghia Estate at 67K miles>>

Depending on what you were intending trading it in for I reckon that's pretty good...:-)