Polo - wheel coming adrift! - tilda99
Hi - this is only my second post, but would appreciate views/advice. (have made it as short as poss!!)

A local independent garage has serviced Mrs T's 98 Polo. It needed new front pads and disks, which were fitted. Everything seemed fine on pick up, although there was a tiny bit of drumming from the front, which I put down to the new pads and disks bedding in, and then 18 yr old Miss T took the car to the seaside for the day.

Miss T came back today saying the drumming had got worse, and the car really 'shook her arms and sounded awful'. I got in and drove it about 5 yards and the noise was indeed dreadful.

Anyway, phoned garage (it had done only 80 miles on since the service) and they said bring it in and we'll look at it.

I got up to about 30 mph and thought a wheel would fall off! I stopped, removed the front near side wheel cover to find the wheel nuts almost undone, and the wheel close to coming adrift!.

Rang garage again, took pictures, jacked car up, tightened wheel and drove to garage.

I have been good customer of this garage for about 10yrs, with 2 cars being maintained by them. They were very apologetic, took car in for inspection immediately (I questioned other wheels, and the cambelt they had fitted - my confidence somewhat shaken).

On inspection the wheel would appear to have not been refitted correctly, and there was a fair amount of swarf etc from the wear and tear. They are giving me a new wheel and nuts (and a courtesy car while they do it) - and have reassured me that everything else is ok.

Now my question - is that enough? Should I ask for more (maybe credit on next service?) or what? Could there be more damage down the line? They have been very helpful, flexible, cooperative and couteous (its a long established family business which I am always happy to recomend). What would some of backroomers do in similar circumstances?
Pol0 - wheel coming adrift! - Lud
Nuts may not be enough. If the wheel has been on the car loose when driven, the studs may be quite badly worn and may break later, even if it is still possible to do the nuts up tight. Make sure they change the studs, if there are studs (and not bolts).

Otherwise, I wd regard it as excessively greedy or self-righteous to make further demands on the garage. Anyone can make a cock-up. Did the same thing myself once indeed, failed to tighten wheel properly after some operation with result of funny noises and a bit of extra wear. I do agree though that a garage should have a shop foreman who checks everything, especially when a teenage apprentice has been asked to finish a job.
Pol0 - wheel coming adrift! - type's'
Lud has got it spot on.
You only want assurance that the car is still safe after this event and changing the studs should do it.
The car should drive ok after this without any vibration etc then you should have some confidence that all is ok again.
From what you said the garage seem a good bunch. As they say:- stuff happens.
Pol0 - wheel coming adrift! - tilda99
ok - thanks for these. The garage are falling over themselves to make amends, and I'm quite happy with their response. I just wondered whether there would be any longer term damage, but I guess not. Thanks

T