Mexican-built Beetle - 5-speed gearbox? - andymc {P}
I know production of the old-shape Beetle continued in Mexico until just a couple of years ago. Does anyone know if they were fitted with five-speed gearboxes before being retired? Or where would I get such information? My trike is based on an old Beetle chassis and has the gearbox to match. It's only a four-speeder and sometimes I feel as though it's not getting the best out of the engine above 60 mph. In an idle moment, I started wondering if I could get a five-speeder to fit it. Alternatively, any other five-speed gearbox suggestions? FYI, this one has been linked up with the 1.5 diesel engine out of a Peugeot 106, which is mounted at the rear of the trike.
--
andymc
Vroom, vroom - mmm, doughnuts ...
Mexican-built Beetle - 5-speed gearbox? - George Porge
Why not fit a larger diameter rear tyre to help cruising? You'd need to calibrate the speedo, but you would anyway if you went the 5 speed route

If you really want a 5 speed why not contact kit car manufacturers using beetle engines and see what they recommend
--
2 Dirty VW diesels and a Honda with an 18 inch blade
Mexican-built Beetle - 5-speed gearbox? - Group B
According to this site, seems that Mexican Beetles stuck with a 4-speed box. www.carfolio.com/specifications/models/car/?car=76...n

I've heard of people putting Porsche 914 gearboxes in Beetles, they are 5 speed. But probably wont find one lying around in your average scrap yard!?
Maybe you're getting issues with a final drive ratio that was intended for a petrol engine, being less well suited to a lower-revving diesel engine? Wonder if changing final drive and/or top gear ratios would improve it sufficiently? But I dont know much about gear ratios..
Heehee, I do appreciate the bigger wheels suggestion but the tyres currently fitted are 295/50/R15, they're over two feet in diameter already! Good idea to contact kit car manufacturers, might be a source of useful information for the future too. Don't suppose you have any links? ;)

I was also thinking about the idea of adjusting ratios - not that knowledgeable about it myself either though. The thought that I might end up replacing the box altogether stems from the fact that I also find the gearbox often refuses to go into first and second without being slotted into reverse beforehand - not the handiest way to pull out at a junction, or move through slow traffic! I've had to start off in third quite a few times and this isn't good for the clutch, especially if it's a hill start.

Of course there might be a proper solution to that as well, once my mechanic gets the time to look at it properly, but combined with quite high revs above 65 or so (even though it will certainly go up to 90, allegedly ossifer), I'm keeping all my options open right now.

I do know someone who's a bit of a classic Porsche aficionado, might be worth having a chat with him about the 914 box and whether one might be suitable or even available - for a reasonable sum!

Cheers guys and thanks for the quick responses. Any other suggestions are also welcome.
--
andymc
www.chesil.co.uk/intro.asp

www.kit-cars.com/

www.which-kit.com/index.shtml

Have'nt looked but I'm sure there will be a list of kit makers on the 2 magazine sites

Diesel engined trike, you know you're nuts don't ya ;-)
--
Diesel engined trike, you know you're nuts don't ya ;-)

Oh yeah!
I run it on biodiesel, which was the whole point of getting a diesel. The 70 to 80 mpg is just a fringe benefit. It has a U-shaped twin exhaust which at certain speeds accelerating through third and fourth produces a fantastic blarting noise, brilliant!
--
andymc
Well done for breaking all the rules Andy. Is it tax exempt too?
--
Mexican-built Beetle - 5-speed gearbox? - sierraman
-Is it tax exempt too?-

No vehicles are tax exempt-some get it free though.
Mexican-built Beetle - 5-speed gearbox? - AR-CoolC
Try and find some of the "old boys" from the aircooled VW scene and have a chat about the different gearbox's on the beelte's, as different models of beetle had differend gear ratio's.

Your trike may have a 1200 gearbox for example, but the 1300 gearbox had different ratio's.

My GT beetle had a different final drive ratio to the 1500 gearbox it was based on.

www.johnmaherracing.co.uk/

Another link I just thought of.

John was the original drummer with the Buzzcocks
--
Mexican-built Beetle - 5-speed gearbox? - tr7v8
Only way I know to get 5 speeds in a Beetle case is to talk to Hewland Mk 9 Formula Ford 2000 boxes can be 5 speed.
Staffs Transmissions also do an equivalent. Be warned these are A. expensive B. Damn noisy as they're straight cut! Does give the ability to change all the ratios though!
Plenty of kit cars use porsche transaxles and I'm sure Renault 25 gearboxes too
--
Mexican-built Beetle - 5-speed gearbox? - easytrike
Hi,
just come across this post.
Did you find a 5 speed box for your trike ?
Im asking because I have exactly the same problem. My trike is fitted with the 1.4 peugeot so its most proberbly the same set up.
top speed is limited by the really low gearing.
If you have any thoughts on the matter they would be apreciated.
cheers
Mark.