Ford Focus advice please? - Mumstheword
Hi all, I'm new, so apologise if I'm raking over old ground....please point me in the direction of previous answers in that case! I have read DaisyH's thread, but didn't want to hijack it as my questions aren't quite the same.

I am getting a second hand car. I know NOTHING! With the help of Which reports I've narrowed my search down to a Focus/corolla/civic.

We have a 98 corolla already, and when we bought that we considered a civic, but found them difficult to find. And we quite like the look of the focus (there ya go, told u I know nothing! lol!)

So, if we settle on a focus, can you give me some advice please. We would be looking at about 5 or 6 years old.

Are there any of the engines I should avoid, or any I should be looking for?

Is there much of a difference between the economy of the different ones? Is the diesel engine worth considering? (It will be used for about 270 miles a week)

Is there any particular spec/colour which will sell well in future/be more fun/comfy to drive whilst we own it.

BIG thanks in advance for any help you can give to a poor confused newbie, who knows nothing but is trying hard to not end up buying a mistake!!

Almost forgot!

We must have the ability to fix a roof luggage box on for uk holidays!

Thanks
Ford Focus advice please? - DP
Having run two Focuses to high mileages, my experience is of a very well built, incredibly reliable car, which is really good fun to drive. My only grizzles really were the seats lacked upper back support, and road noise levels could be a little tiring. On the plus side, it handles, rides, steers, brakes and changes gear with more precision and feel than any other comparable car I've driven.

All models drive well, but the best of the standard trim levels in my opinion is the Zetec, which has firmer, so called "sports" suspension in comparison to the LX and Ghia models. You also get much more supportive seats than the LX model. Whichever you buy, try to get a long-ish test drive to make sure the seats suit you. The driving position itself is lovely by the way and adjusts all ways.

Kit can be surprisingly tight. ABS and CD players were not standard on many models until the last 3 years of production and some of the 2001 LX's on the fleet had tape players, no air con, no ABS and no electric mirrors. My 2002 LX had the Climate Pack fitted, which is worth seeking out. You get (good) air conditioning, heated mirrors and the excellent QuickClear heated windscreen. If the car you look at has a tape deck, the Ford 6000CD stereos are readily available on Ebay for under £100, and are a straight swap (just plug straight in)

My two were both company cars and I racked up 99,000 miles in the first one with only one non-scheduled replacement (the tensioner on the auxiliary drivebelt started squealing). Other than that, it was just servicing, fuel and consumables. The second was fault free at 60,000 miles when it went back.

Servicing went from 10,000 miles to 12,500 in 2002. Mine was right on the cusp, and every time the dealer had to look up the VIN on the Ford computer to see which applied (it was the 12,500 interval by about 100 cars I was told)

All petrol engines are smooth and responsive, but the 1.4 is too small for a car of this size. The 1.6 or 1.8 petrols are the pick of the range, with the 1.8 giving significantly more pull without much of a compromise on economy.

The TDCi diesels will be too "new" for what you are looking at. The 1.8 TDDi engine is a bit gruff, but quite punchy and very responsive by diesel standards. It's also happy to pull all the way from 1500 RPM right through to the limiter at 4750. Performance feels lively enough in day to day driving, although it's not in the Golf TDI PD league. Mind you, neither are the used prices.

If I were buying one with my own money (and I would without hesitation), my money would be on a 1.8 Zetec, or a TDCi 115PS if the budget would stretch. As you are not covering massive mileages, I would stick with petrol personally.

The roof rails are encased in a plastic moulding with a pair of slide back plastic access covers at each end of the roof.

Cheers
DP
Ford Focus advice please? - L'escargot
For relaxed travel and to get all the goodies without having to search I would go for a 2 litre petrol Ghia. But as DP says, have a good test drive to make sure the seats suit you. Adjustable lumbar support was standard in this variant. I found the "bucket" seats of the Zetec to be like, well, sitting on the rim of a bucket!
--
L\'escargot.
Ford Focus advice please? - Adam {P}
Can't really add much to the excellent advice so far.

We've owned my 1999 Focus since...well...1999! In that time, from memory, the following things have gone wrong;

* Coil pack (common apparently)

* Wheel bearings (common again but dead easy and cheap to replace)

That's it I think. Aside from servicable items, I don't think anything else has been changed. It's approaching 80,000 miles and still drives well - if you look after it, it will last you as long as you need it; pretty much.

I've got the cream/tan/vomit coloured/whatever you want to call it, interior and it looks great when cleaned but stains very easily and needs shampooing every few months or so to look clean.

Suffice it to say, avoid the saloon unless you really like it- purple, white and gold won't sell well either.

Good luck,

Adam
>>It's approaching 80,000 miles<<

Wishful thinking - it's approaching 85,000 miles! And I needed to replace the backbox (only) last year.

That's definitely it....I think.
Ford Focus advice please? - local yokel
SWMBO loves her 1.6 Zetec auto with AC. Came with a 4000 RDS/tape, bought a 6006 6 CD from Ebay which I fitted in about 40 seconds. It's a 51 plate, ex-Motability, cost £5,000 with 38k a year ago. Totally reliable. Plenty of oomph unless fully loaded.

Agree with the road noise, though, esp. the rears - it's on P6000s - are there quieter tyres?

She'd previously had Golfs for about 15 years - and think the Focus far better. Runs on rails.

Thanks very much for all of your advice, very much appreciated (you must be fed up of questions like this!!)

We've been considering the 1.8 TDi, and there are a few (very few!) about nearby dating back to about a 51 plate.

I've taken on board the comments about seating position. That's something that DH complains about on his drives to work in the corolla, although I'm sure he could make that better with adjusting it. This focus will replace a space wagon which had super comfy drivers seating.

The roof rails - thanks for that, it's a must as my corolla doesnt have any.

climate pack sounds handy, especially as this car will set off to work at around 7am, so a heated windscreen would be a luxury!

stereo/cd - aparently we have a few spare, but the focus ones dont look like standard sizes, so we can bear that in mind, although it cant be a deal breaker at the prices involved.

Even at about 12500 miles per year, should we save around £1000 a year on fuel using a diesel?

Thanks once again, superb advice, well thought out and answering the questions I have.

That should read TCDi - I think opinion is that they are better than TDDi?
Ford Focus advice please? - Xileno {P}
"That should read TCDi - I think opinion is that they are better than TDDi?"

Massively so.
On the stereo front, you can buy a facia adaptor from Halfords or any car audio shop for about a tenner to enable you to fit a standard DIN stereo to the "double DIN" aperture in the Focus dash.

They can also sort you out with a wiring harness adaptor to make the fitting painless, although you might lose the (handy) steering column controls for volume, radio station preset and CD track. Any competent car audio installer will be able to advise you in more detail though.

Cheers
DP
Thanks, and thanks also for the colour advice.

I was thinking silver......they dont show the muck as much, lol !!
Ford Focus advice please? - henry k
Both the Focus and the Mondeo in our household have a tape player that is not very attractive to steal.
Both have a six CD unit under the passenger seat. Not quite so easy to use as the in dash.
These CD units are probably also available on Ebay but no idea waht is involved to add them to an existing unit.

Max cost to swop the dash unit is about £3 for a pair of extractors although a bit of wire may do the same job.
You will see a pair of small holes at each side of the front of radio panel.
Ford Focus advice please? - y2k+4
Just wanted to point out, that you originally state you're looking at cars that are 5/6 years old. The TDCi's only came out in Britain in post-facelift form (late-01, 51-regs) and were relatively few. Also Beware of TDDi's dressed up as TDCi's ( like the 6000 Cd player you can get the badges off ebay!) and if it looks too good to be true, then it probably is. The fuel saving on a TDCi won't be that great over a 1.6, once you consider servicing, higher (model-model) insurance and initial purchase price (they are substantially more expensive than the 1.6).
I've been searching loot and autotrader, mainly for the TDCi, looking at 2001 models. They are, as you suggest, y2k+4, few and far between, and also have high mileage and high price. And if you want reasonable spec, the price just goes up further, obviously!!

So, looking at the 1.6 petrol, if I still look at the 2001 models, do you really think the cost saving of having a diesel would be minimal? I was expecting to save a lot on fuel, but it will only do about 12500 a year. As you say, there is a higher initial cost involved, and you also point out that servicing will be more costly, which I didnt realise.

Sorry about all this!! But you are steering me in the right direction, and hopefully I will end up with the best I can with you lot helping me!

Thank you
My TDDi used to return about 45 mpg in day to day driving. A 1.6 Zetec I had as a courtesy car for a while did about 35 mpg.

Rough calculations:

12,500 miles at 45 mpg uses 278 gallons of diesel. At £4.54 per gallon (£1 litre) that's £1262 worth of diesel over the year

12,500 miles at 35 mpg uses 357 gallons of petrol. At £4.45 per gallon (98p litre) that's £1588 worth of petrol over the year

A saving of £326 for the diesel (or £27 a month)

Diesel and petrol Focuses of this era have the same service intervals (annual or 10,000/12,500 miles depending on year). Service costs should be similar. Both Zetec-SE and Endura DE have cambelt swaps at 100k, shim valve clearances and even use the same engine oil.

I would say financially, the diesel pips it slightly, but when you factor in the interest on the extra cash to buy one over the petrol, there's virtually nothing in it.

Buy whichever you prefer driving in other words.

Cheers
DP
Thanks DP, really well put!

Something else I have been considering is the resale value. Since diesels in general have more miles on than petrol models, a couple of years ownership can easily push the miles over 100k, which I've always found dodgy for selling again.

How does this sound for price (as long as condition is ok) - £3k for a 1.6 zetec (y reg) with a/c, 27k miles?

Or £3500 for a1.8 tdci lx with 80k miles and has had a new clutch (does that suggest it's been ragged?), but low spec - not even a sun roof
Endura DE

Sorry - should read Endura DI.
I would be tempted with the 1.6 Zetec at that mileage/price.

A sunroof is rare on a Focus. It was a cost option on most models and with air-con, few people bothered.

There are two versions of the TDCi by the way. One is 100PS and the other is 115PS. The 115's are really rather quick for what they are, and comfortably out-drag the 1.6 petrol.

Don't really know whether the clutch replacement is a warning sign. The original clutch in my TDDi still felt perfect after 99k, but then a lot of my driving was on the motorway.

Cheers
DP
Thanks DP, I was tempted by the 1.6 too - unfortunately, so was someone else and it's gone!

I might go to have a look at the 1.8TDCi LX. But at 80k miles, maybe I should wait and keep checking the autotrader.

Thanks again for all the help
An Lx TDCi shouldn't be THAT badly specced. Since they're post-facelift, they should get heated screen, cd player, alloys, a/c and d&p airbags.

80k miles on a TDCi Focus isn't really that much (you don't mention age, but as an annual mileage I can't imagine it's that high), and don't forget that you're only paying £3,500 now, and TDCi's will have their values kept relatively high by the fact the TDDi's are lower-value. With fuel increases too, I can't see it depreciating that much - have a look at how much VAG TDi's have on the clock and are still asking!

If I found a genuine, FSH Focus TDCi LX with 80k on for £3,500 I wouldn't hesitate!
Thanks y2k+4. I think the TDCi was an 02. I phoned about it and they said no air con. I take your point about mileage. As a petrol driver, 80k seems high to me, but I am coming round to the diesel point of view!

I've also spoken to someone about another car (which had gone unfortunately). He's a trader on a small basis, and gets his cars from the dealers (older trade ins). He is going to see what's due in this weekend. He seemed very easy going, not at all pushy, and fair. so I'll see if he comes up with any interesting cars too.
Diesel engines will run much further than petrol one's (or at least should) if properly looked after. I'm shocked you could get an LX on an 02 plate without a/c! (Though does explain the price given the current weather!) Also beware there are two types of TDCi - the 100 and 115. Neither is exactly sluggish, but the 115 would be the driver's choice. Remember the diesel will require a cambelt change at 100k miles like the petrols, so this should be factored in to your long-term costs.
DP knows his stuff!

I've changed stereos in a double DIN Ford (a Fiesta but still the same system) and it was pretty easy. Everythign slots in and fits nicely although getting the cage for the new stereo in needed a hammer. Don't let that put you off though. I need a hammer for everything - hanging doors, assembling furnature, fixing PCs...

My Focus has a 6000 CD player but the CD part of it is temperamental. Instead of buying an aftermarket stereo (it wouldn't look right with the wooden dash and besides - I didn't want something else to get nicked), I bought a CD changer and adapter. I put the changer in the boot and the adapter (about the size of two boxes of cigs) behind the dash. This was a bit pricy (came out at nearly 200 quid including the adapter at 50 quid) but the advantages are that the stereo controls work, the car looks nice and neat and no flashy stereo is on show. Wiring the changer in is dead easy - the hardest part is actually fixing it into the car.

I don't think you need worry about the clutch. Dad had my car before me and is very mechanically sympathetic as am I (or at least try to be) and occasionally it slips - I reckon in the next 10,000 miles or so I'll probably need one. That's on a petrol too.

I really would make sure you prefer driving a diesel over a petrol though. At this mileage, as DP says, it comes down purely to preference.
Ford Focus advice please? - henry k
An Lx TDCi shouldn't be that badly specced. Since they're post-facelift, they should get HEATED screen..........

>>
A few of the forum members HATE the effect that the heated screens have on their vision.

Most, including me think they are great.
Do try a Fous with the heated screen to see if it affects your vision.
Obviously it is difficult to check it out when night driving.
Ford Focus advice please? - Statistical outlier
Also, remember heated screens can affect whether a satnav will work thru them. If you want to use one, you may or may not need an external aerial.
Ford Focus advice please? - landmarked
Despite what HJ says about mileage, and the robust nature of these engines, I still think there is quite a lot to be said for buying a 1.6 or 1.8 with 30-40K over a diesel with 80K as a private purchase. The lower milage petrol car will probably look and feel less tired -particularly inside, it will have fewer stone chips etc. and it's more than likely to go on as Adam's car has for another trouble-free 40K during the time you own it.

With a higher mileage diesel the engine will no doubt go on and on but everything else in the car will be that a bit more worn out - probably not to the point where you need to spend vast sums of money, but it just depends how much you care about the little things - I tend to be a bit anally retentive about these things!

Mine's on 109k and has yet to develop a rattle. The only thing that is worn out is the passenger sun visor - it won't stay up! The Focus seems surprisingly resilent to interior wear (it was a lease-car for 90k of it's life!)
That sounds impressive - I am currently driving a Citroen ZX so my thoughts on interior quality are probably a little behind the times! However I was surprised on a recent visit to a well known car supermarket how much interior wear some cars were showing at only 50-60K -clearly not everyone's up to Ford standards.
Yeah, I had a ZX before. The build of the Focus (though not looking particularly expensive) is shockingly robust. My ZX squeaked and suffered from the familiar PSA footwell water-gathering. As it's engine began to cost in replacement parts, the old girl had to go. The thing I loved (and could never get over why it didn't become class-wide and was only to be seen later in the Yaris) is the sliding rear seat...

That said the Focus has loads of space in boot and back...
Mine will be replaced in the next few months but I will miss it. The quality of the interior materials is shocking but it actually seems to be screwed together quite well - there are far fewer rattles than in my previous Polo MK4! Tremedous fun to drive in TD form too - doesn't handle like a Focus but you can't argue with the lift-off oversteer!
At 99k mine was still in lovely condition inside. The only signs of wear were the odd creak from the driver's seat over bumps, and the peeling of the "silver" coating from the top of the gearknob. Actually, the gearknob problem first started at around 50,000 miles.

Steering wheel rim showed no signs of wear at all and visually, neither did the seats.

On the whole it was still a very "tight" feeling car even at the end. In my opinion just as well screwed together as my in-law's equivalently aged (2002) mkIV Golf, but minus the lovely soft touch dash plastics.
The oversteer scared me! I actually spun the thing, where the Focus continues to surprise me with it's ability to grip and go...though this is noticeably worse now I'm down to 2.5mm tread on the front! I think tyres are important on the Focus...(for Mumstheword to take note of when looking at any).
Thank you thank you thank you!!!

I really am milking in all this info. I'm veering towards a 1.6 petrol version. But it all depends on what cars come up for sale.

Guess what I missed this morning.....ok, I'll tell you!...04 reg 1.6 zetec silver, a/c, 16k miles, fsh, leather interior £4,000. as you'd expect it was gone when I phoned this afternoon....I'll have to get up early to bag a deal like that!
Good thing about the Focus (particularly 1.6) is that if you are not absolutely desperate to buy, deals like that will come up quite often - as you've found it's just a matter of staying on the ball and getting in there first. Just make sure the excitement of finding a good deal doesn't make you any less diligent (or willing to haggle) when you go and inspect the car.
One more thing, whilst I think about it! Do get a history check done. Worth the money. Stopped me from buying an accident write-off...
UPDATE:

Thank you very much for all your help.

We have bought one now. It's a 1.6 zetec with a/c and climate pack, alloys, cd player, etc. In very dark blue (looks black). It is an 02 reg, and has 49k on the clock. It has new discs and pads on the front , and 4 new michellin tyres. We paid £3,850. The downside.....no service history. So we've taken a chance that it has been looked after. It looks like it has, and the clean oil and filter suggested a very recent service (I'm in unknown territory now.....)

We saw another, the same but less miles, although it looked quite worn out and scruffy, at a dealers for a thousand pounds more.

We've had it a week and only done a couple of hundred miles in it, but so far so good.

I don't think we got a huge bargain, but I think it was an ok deal. We could have held out for something slightly better, but could easily have paid a lot more. So overall, happy!

Thank you again, all of your advice proved very helpful indeed.

Ford Focus advice please? - Blue {P}
Sounds about OK to me, and for what it's worth with me coming into this so late, you did right to buy the petrol.

I have the TDCI and regularly see spectacular economy of 37mpg, so you would have taken about 15 years to recoup the money if you got similar figures to me!

Enjoy your new car!
Blue
Ford Focus advice please? - DavidHM
Maybe I'm being paranoid but the car has clearly had a lot of work done on it recently for something with no service history.

This suggests (doesn't prove, of course) either that it's a clocked high miler (in which case the timing belt could be coming due), or a repaired accident write-off.

I presume you bought privately and did an HPI check (which was hopefully clear). How many owners has it had and did you speak to the previous owner to establish its mileage when they sold it on?
I really wouldn't worry too much about all of that, all it's had is new brakes and tyres and an oil filter change, in all fairness the tyres would be about due for changing now anyway.

All of what David said is worth a check but if you've had your HPi check done then I really wouldn't worry about there been any problems, I'm sure that the car is genuine and there's an innocent explanation for the missing history, it's probably sitting in a salesman's desk somewhere. I once sent a perfect 1 owner Full Ford Service History Focus to the auctions and forgot to get the history out of my desk, someone got a bargain that day!

Blue
Thanks for your comments.

The HPi check came back clear, and the mileage fits in with the mileage from the mot in March. The steering wheel, gear stick, pedals etc, all look in a used condition, but not as much as my other car which has done about 70k miles.

We got the car from a small trader who buys trade-ins from a few main dealers. Hopefully buying from a trader, albeit small time, gives us some more protection than buying privately. But lets face it, if it is a clocked or written off vehicle, I'd struggle to get any money back from anyone....buyer beware and all that!

It had just been transferred back to it's original reg froma private reg, so I dont even have the previous owners details! i know this should ring even more alarm bells, but the car really does look ok. Not over the top spruced up clean to sell, just 'normal'. Who knows!

It could be a really bad buy. Or it could be that the person who owned it just never bothered to send the service book in when it was serviced (I've forgotten plenty of times, and not bothered going back to get it stamped). He had bought it with reasonable spec (climate pack etc), bought a private plate, has now bought a new car. People do spend money without thinking long term. He could have had the tyres and brakes done then a month later bought a new car on impulse. We'll never know (unless it falls apart tomorrow, lol).

I hope it's ok, it seems to be.
Sorry, didn't mean to quote another post in that post! {Now removed - DD}

The other q asked was owners - it's had 2 previous. The last owner bought it at about 6 months old.
Ford Focus advice please? - Gromit {P}
>>it's had 2 previous. The last owner bought it at about 6 months old.

Quite possibly, he's panicked at the rising price of petrol and changed it for a diesel. If he got a TDCi, from what was said above, he's going to be disappointed with the saving...

Good luck with your new motor!
Ford Focus advice please? - bell boy
mumstheword you may be pleased to know that at the auctions today your motor trader friend you bought your car off would have struggled to make a dime on the same specced car if he had to replace it like for like...(well alright he wouldnt be making a fortune) ;-)
car sounds dead right to me,....
Ford Focus advice please? - MW
Very interesting stuff. I have considered one of these but it would have to be an automatic, probably a 1.6.
Given the reputation of Ford autos for unreliabity, has anyone had any real experience with one. Did Ford use the Focus to 'fix' its auto reputation?
Never heard of any particular problems with later model Focus Autos, although the new ones with the CVT box are a bit iffy by all accounts...

Blue