How easy is it to get consumable parts for the rover 800
Im talking abouts parts like

brake pads
brake discs
brake flexi hoses
cv boots
wheel beraings etc

these are all potential failures at mot time
Are these parts available frm local motor factors?
How easy is it to get Rover Parts? - Carrow
They are easy to get hold of. Don't worry. It will be the genuine parts that could be a headache, we have been waiting 4 months for 2 front ABS sensors & apparantley they were common failures back in the day.
How easy is it to get Rover Parts? - boxer99
so do most motor factos stock these parts?
who is making these parts as rover is no longer in business

Ive heard the HGF is common on rover 825's would parts for that be easily available.

In comparison i drive a 1984 Audi Coupe Gt and most parts are readily available at german swedish and french and thats a 22year old car.
At worst you would have to wait until the next day, most factors have an extensive supply chain to satisfy our customers' demands. We can't afford to say no!! Believe me.
How easy is it to get Rover Parts? - Thommo
Am I the only one to see the obvious contradictions in the posts to his point?
How easy is it to get Rover Parts? - Civic8
I have had two Rover 800`s and know of others that still own one,no problem with getting any parts to date.
OEM parts may take a day to get but otherwise ok
--
Steve
How easy is it to get Rover Parts? - Chris S
Rover didn't make most of their parts - they just bought them in from other manufacturers that are still in business.
Ok, in the original post there is a list of parts which are all easily available through motor factors. BUT if you want GENUINE ONLY parts you could struggle.
How easy is it to get Rover Parts? - LeePower
X part are the people who do all the pukka Rover parts now, They struggle on some body panels while they get the tooling sorted in India but service items & bits like that they have.

Just type Xpart dot com in to your internet search bar

How easy is it to get Rover Parts? - Falkirk Bairn
Consumables etc might be easy to get - the difficulty might be specifics such as sensors for ABS, switches etc - another difficulty will be body parts and trim - theses are specific to the car and often there is was a single source. e.g. Door skin or internal door panels.

A few months back, featured in Aito Express, a 2 yr old Rover 25? / 45? might have been written off by the insurance Co due to door new panels being unavailable - even after a2/3 months. 2nd hand parts looked to be the only solution.
How easy is it to get Rover Parts? - madf
I worked in the car components industry. One of our subsidiaries made gearbox mounting brakets: pressed steel part/nuts welded on and then rubber moulded to it.
When Rover went bust, they would have stopped making them.
I cannot see anyone making them now as demand is going to be very low ( say under 500/year) until cars are over 6-10 years old.

So many smaller less easy to make parts - without which a car may be undriveable - are going to get very scarce if not so already.
madf
How easy is it to get Rover Parts? - nick
Rimmer brothers of Lincoln are now an authorised Rover part dealer. Go to www.rimmerbros.co.uk
How easy is it to get Rover Parts? - blue_haddock
I recently tried to source a water pump for a customers Rover 75 2.5V6 - Rover had no stock, Xpart had no stock and non of my aftermarket parts suppliers could get one either.

As others have said things like brake discs/pads and other general service items will be ok but it's all the other vital little bits that you will struggle on.
Without restarting the Rover war I think Blue Haddocks post says it all.

And this is 2006. What will the position be in 2009 say?

Small low value but MOT necessary part breaks. No stock, where do you go? The scrappies? That'll be £200 please, they're not stupid. Nothing in the scrappies? You will need to get it fabricated or run the car illegally or scrap it.

Rovers are now throw away toys and should be priced as such.
How easy is it to get Rover Parts? - R40
Without restarting the Rover war I think Blue Haddocks post says
it all.

I can resist all but the temptation provided by someone discoursing at length on a subject they clearly no nothing of but cannot keep away from ;)

Speak to XPart or Rimmer Bros. They know what they are talking about (it is after all a big part of their businesses) and will give you sound advice over the phone or in person.

But still no water pump, but still 4 months wait for ABS sensors, but still no whats next drivers side window motor perhaps...
How easy is it to get Rover Parts? - mark
Having seen a self employed business acquaintance of mine off the road for nearly 20 weeks whilst a new front bumper for a Rover 75 was found following an insurance lead frontal prang I can confirm I DO NOT believe there is fullscale parts availability for Rovers anymore.

My colleague had his courtesy car withdrawn by his insurance co as they had given up on getting a new part and would not allow 2nd hand parts to be fitted for "safety reasons".

Only when Xpart decided they would run off some more bits were him and a couple hundred others in the same boat able to get the parts they needed.

If it comes down to waiting for sufficient demand to re-manufacture a certain part then Rovers are worth about owww errrr not a lot.

R40 you are always talking up Rover parts availability do you have a connection with Xpart?

As always

Mark
But Mark your not an 'expert' on this issue how dare you comment?

After all if only Blue Haddock had consulted Xpart instead of us non-experts the water pump would be his now. Hell Xpart probably have a buy one get one free offer on water pumps as we speak.

But wait didn't Blue Haddock says he spoke to Xpart...
How easy is it to get Rover Parts? - mark
Sorry Thommo

I should know my place

I was only a business consultant based in Meriden when Rover went under and the number of small chain suppliers who went as well and who were clients was staggering.

Still what do I know the crafty Chinese are probably knocking out all the bits to the power of 10 or more its only their desire to bankrupt us Western Devils that stop the bits being available to those that need them.

My colleague nearly went under as well.

I will get my coat

As always

Mark
Another thing that is difficult to get hold of are MGTF and the facelifted MGZR headlights - and yes i have spoken to Xpart, they say they are in discussion with people in china re getting some manufactured but could not give any date on when they would be available.
How easy is it to get Rover Parts? - bbroomlea{P}
Why would TF and ZR lights be a problem for a Rover 800?

I have had no problems at all obtaining any parts for either my 75 or 200 in the last 12 months or so, that includes suspension parts and exhaust etc for the 75. Mate has a new shape 25 that had its front end replaced and was back on the road within a week of it going in the garage.

As for the original posters question regarding getting Rover parts, where there is demand there will be supply and most of the supply shortage reports are down to garages jumping on the bandwagon of 'oh its a Rover we cant fix it because they dont make parts' attitude.

Take your business to someone who is willing to fix your car and treat you like a customer and you wont have a problem.
We were discussing the general Rover parts situation, just remember that the TF and ZR both sold in reasonably high numbers - try buying a rear quarter panel for a rover 800 coupe.

Suspension and exhaust parts are no problem - there are numerous aftermarket suppliers for parts like this - it's things that would of only been main dealer parts that are causing the problems., so like i said things like switches and pipes will be extremely difficult to source.

And as to your argument that where there is demand there will be supply, just remember that now rover are no longer producing vehicles there will be a reducing number of cars on the road so less demand. As a manufacturer do you make parts for a dwindling stock or start to produce replacement parts for things like kia's instead which are growing in number?
How easy is it to get Rover Parts? - bell boy
im not going to get embroiled in a rover spares debate but will only say that the major insurers are writing late rovers off for minor accidents these days ,so i come to my own conclusions......
How easy is it to get Rover Parts? - bbroomlea{P}
>>im not going to get embroiled in a rover spares debate but will only say that the major insurers are writing late rovers off for minor accidents these days ,so i come to my own conclusions......

Goes back to my original statement that its more of an excuse rather than resource not being available.

I may change my tune if and when I cant get a part for my car but if its in 10 years time thats fair enough, but how many cars go much beyond that age any more with prices and finance packages the way they are?
How easy is it to get Rover Parts? - Dereksn51
Things like ABS sensors are still available-try Best of British for instance-I got mine there-they were Bosch iirc which was the original part-and they were relatively cheap.However parts like expansion tanks which can vibrate themselves to leaks on 800's are well-nigh impossible to locate and scrappers can be your only source-unless someone beats you to it!!
How easy is it to get Rover Parts? - robcars
Hasn't anybody gone for the Honda connection either?

A lot of the rover models shared parts with Honda, they are still available from them; excluding the bits that were altered to be for rover only obviously. They will be the bits that force the car off the road.
How easy is it to get Rover Parts? - Collos25
Oldman says it all ,why bother buying a car that could be a liability.and as for the suppliers listed above non could help on certain 75 parts eventaully sourced from a writeoff at a grossly inflated price.Clemo in Cleckheaton are pretty good in sourcing parts but thats no good if you are stuck on French autoroute.
How easy is it to get Rover Parts? - R40
R40 you are always talking up Rover parts availability do you
have a connection with Xpart?

None whatsoever. I suffer only from an aversion to urban myths and scaremongering. Sadly a few people around here seem to thrive on nothing but ;)