Wrong car, Right car - Mike Wolstencroft
Should really have been called ' There's One Born Every Minute...' - thankfully for the car trade there are still plenty of pathetic car snobs out there willing to do 'a deal'. If some people really are desperate enough to stich themselves up for over fifteen grand's worth of debt for FOUR YEARS ( and a family on the way, mind) then the sooner Eddie George's committee raises interest rates the better. In three years time the Merc will barely fetch six grand at the next trade in (plus any money needed to replace the pinkle dinkle valves to keep it going). £320 a month for four years? That way madness lies. Nice to see Jason get slapped down by the the 'East Ender'when he started to slag off the Audi Estate because its well built, reliable and safe.
Re: Wrong car, Right car - Andy
I felt really embarassed for the poor guy when they insisted he come out with cr@p like 'never had a haircut' and 'it's got a bidet'.
It looks as though the 'changing rooms' team had a hand in this programme.
Awful. Dross.
Re: Wrong car, Right car - lada riva owner.
it made it look like the guy was a dealer trying to get rid of the porsche.
Re: Wrong car, Right car - Andrew Barnes
lada riva owner. wrote:
>
> it made it look like the guy was a dealer trying to get rid
> of the porsche.

No, it looked like the guy was pretending to be a dealer, but making a total fool of himself!

Andrew
www.hispecgolfs.co.uk
Re: Wrong car, Right car - Phil
Oh aye, that Merc was a looney purchase. What was it, 32k miles on a 97 P? Sounds like a lot of cold starts and that engine isn't going to be cheap to fix. The whole desicion he made was totally flawed, 6 year old merc that will cost loads to fix and has no warranty, or a new top of the range stonking skoda with 3 years warranty. And I thought he wanted a sporty family motor? Aren't Mercs what people buy when they retire to "see them out"?!

His attempt at eastend car dealer lingo was indeed depressing. Driven was actually quite good this week though.
Re: Wrong car, Right car - Steve G
Also enjoyed Driven...
Also cringed at the poor guys attempt at trade slang.Like you say made him out to be a trader with dodgy Porsche to shift...
Why spend £ 15000 on a car when half that amount would still bought him a nice practical sporty car. Should have consulted the Backroom first we would have found him a better deal...
Overall the programme was OK but not really essential viewing.
Oh yes must refil my bidet tommorow its out of screenwash/domestos ...
Re: Wrong car, Right car - Andy P
Fifteen grand, four doors, performance, reliability...find me a good Accord Type R someone, please....

Andy
Re: Wrong car, Right car - Dog Breath
I loved it - much more like the real world than Driven. OK so the guy was a badge snob and ended up buying a hearse but there's a lot of threads on this site about the folly of buying new.

The cockney w***ker makes up for that limp irish bloke.
Re: Wrong car, Right car - Rita

Phil

re: Aren't Mercs what people buy when they retire to "see them out"?!

Yup, heard HWWBO's reasoning, he got the car, I hate it.

I'll qualify that last remark. I much prefer my Volvo 740 for a variety of reasons too long to go into.

Rita
Yeah, buying new is usually unwise, but in this case that Octavia RS was a cracking good deal for the money. Apart from the finance deal that is!
Re: Wrong car, Right car - CM
What would a Skoda be worth in 3 years? The MB should be able to 200k, do you really think that the Skoda could do that?
Re: Wrong car, Right car - Rob F
Ok, rubbish programme. But the bit where bloke's wife says "We decided the Porsche had to go - it's getting tatty" was the premise of the whole show. He should have kept it and stuffed the lot of them - it was obvious that's what he really wanted to do.

Rob F
Not much, but neither will the MB. Most modern engines are probably good for close to 200k miles, but that 180bhp four may be a bit stressed for that. Who knows?
Re: Wrong car, Right car - Andy P
Since it shares the engine with the Audi 1.8T, does that mean that they'll be stressed as well?

Andy
skinhead londoner. - lada riva owner.
did you see that skin head londoner, the guy who looked like a pitbull dog, at the start of the program it said he was a used car salesman, but would YOU buy a car from him, he looked like a right dodgy geezer.
Re: skinhead londoner. - David W
You wait 'till you see Mark(Brazil).

David
Re: skinhead londoner. - Mark (Brazil)
> You wait 'till you see Mark(Brazil).

Dear Mr. Woollard,

What do you mean ? I am the very epitomy of an English business man. People take one look at me and admire my elegance and dress. My sartorial elegance is spoken of in all the best circles.

Regards,

p.s. I would like to point out that when H. John esq. commented on the leather and snakes teeth around my neck, he was actually drinking in a pub and therefore cannot be regarded as a credible witness.

p.p.s. And on that trip I had lost my razor.

p.p.p.s Vlad's mum say's she'll bring a picture around if it will help jog your memory. Apparantly its on her way up north anyway.

p.p.p.p.s. And the kitchen door ? Still in the front hallway ?
Task choices. - David W
Mark,

Which would you rather experience I wonder.

A back door not made of cardboard and bin liners or......a *real* Land Rover to travel in?????

If the answer is both you'll see my dilemma.

David
Re: skinhead londoner. - confused
He cannot be any dodgier than you
Re: skinhead londoner. - Flat in Fifth
Wasn't the skinhead suvverner the guy who turned the vicar into a used car salesman in that other series, called something like in at the deep end or faking it??

The one where he sent him to the auctions, he came back "tucked up" with a rusty Metro and the dodgy geezer made him "fix it up."

I put the quote marks around tucked up and fixed up above because it was obvious in the Salvage Squad style it was a set up just for the cameras.
Re: skinhead londoner. - Brill
LAS wrote:

>>"i havent a clue, i dont know much about the mechanics of cars, but i just thought i would say about changing the switch because it sounded good. stupid idiot over and out."

Just a reminder.

Stu.
Re: skinhead londoner. - confused
Just goes to show ,this man was giving advice under the guise of a qualified MOT tester and of a garage owner not long back.And in another answer re Rail crash causing deep distress to victims of this tragic accident.I personnally think a responsible forum such as this should not allow this contributer to continue.I had mail from other contributers warning me of this man but thought it was to far fetched I now know otherwise .I checked several names on this forum and they allseem to originate from initial servers in the North East.The contributer from I think Germany was correct in suming up this man even if he went about it the wrong way
Re: skinhead londoner. - Steve G
Thank you Flat in fifth. Knew i had seen that guy before just could'nt think where. Channel 4 Faking It of course !
What was the conversation on the Alfa 147 about .. Doom Red ? The car they drove was in 'Alfa red' a very popular colour. Jason started talking about it being metallic which its not ? Very strange.
Re: skinhead londoner. - Honest John
I'm wondering if the formula will continue to work. Thought it was more than a bit contrived at first, then started warming to it. Three four shows down the road will show how well it sustains. Will all depend on the quality of the punters they get.

HJ
Re: skinhead londoner. - Pat
The programme format seems familiar somehow, and I actually did recognise the cockney 'salesman' from the C4 show a couple of years ago.

Incidentally, I think I would have bought the Merc simply because of the build quality and life expectancy. I'm not quite ready for a Skoda even though I own an Audi! (and an old Merc).

I'll watch next week's offerings. However, I thought the earlier programme (Under the Bonnet) was just a rehash of what's now old news re ringing, etc. Too drawn out.

Pat
Re: skinhead londoner. - T.Lucas
Is the Skinhead motor dealer a BBC luvvies idea of what 'Central Casting'should send along for the audition,because if he had to earn his living in the 'real'motor trade im sure he would starve.
Enjoyed it. - David W
Just watched this on the video. Thought it a decent program actually. OK lets forget the bits where I bet the director said "lets do/say this or that, it'll be great"....and it wasn't.

Interesting concept giving someone a far broader choice than they might choose themselves.

I'd have bought the Audi or the MB....but a little older and been nearer £5 - £8K.

I did wonder about the MB for his use and family circumstances. Whoever said about having it on such a slow drip was right too.

David
Re: Task choices. - Mark (Brazil)
I would hazard a guess that the answer would be that *SHE* would prefer a backdoor and *YOU* would prefer the landrover.

In my experience, there is no dilemma, I just don't understand how you have survived so long.
Re: Task choices. - David W
>I just don't understand how you have survived so long.

Many visitors make the same comment but since I added the cardboard double glazing a while ago it seems too good to replace.

David