Shogun 3.2 DiD Auto box Question. - gasoil
I have had the above car for 2 years and use it mainly for towing our caravan the question is when towing the auto box very rarely locks up the torque convertor. Even when solo it will only stay in lock up at about 75-80 MPH, but when you select 4th gear with the tiptronic it will stay in lock up down to around 55 MPH towing or not. There is nothing wrong with the car as I have driven others, but my main question is would it be better for the gearbox left in fourth? when towing at about 60 MPH the engine RPM is still only 2300. Will the box stay cooler when in lock up? So Aprila can you share your opinion on this please, Of to France at weekend with caravan so will do around 2000 miles.
Has no one any opinion on this!
Shogun 3.2 DiD Auto box Question. - Number_Cruncher
>>Will the box stay cooler when in lock up?

Yes, once fully locked up, one of the major heat sources is effectively switched off.

Broadly, the cooler the transmission oil, the longer the life of the gearbox.

Does your Shogun have a well sized gearbox oil cooler?

Number_Cruncher
Yes at the front below the rad there is what I would class as a large cooler, was away last weekend and when towing I left it in fourth and set the cruise about 62-65 at that speed it felt it could pull a house down & I think it was also better on fuel. I also understand that if the torque convertor is doing all the work the oil much be a lot warmer.