Wales favourite for new car plant - Altea Ego
Wales has been chosen as the preferred location for a new car assembly plant, BBC Wales has learned.
A group under the name of Project Kimber bought the rights to produce DaimlerChrysler's Smart Car roadsters earlier this year.

Since then the group has been looking for a suitable location.

An announcement is due at the British International Motor Show in London that Wales has beaten Germany and the West Midlands to be the preferred location.

A source close to the project has told BBC Wales that a deal to bring the assembly plant to Wales has taken a major step forward.

Project Kimber will not as yet confirm where in Wales they want to set up the plant, or how many jobs will be created.

But if all goes to plan, it is understood it will be making 8,000 cars by next year.

:: insert welsh jokes here ::
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Wales favourite for new car plant - Thommo
OK I'll be the first to say it.

The new DeLorean.

Wouldn't be a location where Plaid Cmryu are threatening the Labour party and there wouldn't be a government bung, sorry targeted incentive involved by any chance?

Naughty Thommo.
Wales favourite for new car plant - colino
While there may have been a tenuous link and prospects of success of David James "saving" MG in his original plan, I can't think how a greenfield site in the wrong place, with no local, applicable skills base, building someone elses cars under licence, needing millions of EU funds to get underway can be considered a worthwhile investment for anyone.
Wales favourite for new car plant - mike hannon
ok
My pal from Merthyr Tydfil always said he and his mates could never pull Cardiff girls when they went there for the weekend because they thought sex was what valley boys put the coal in...
Wales favourite for new car plant - Armitage Shanks {p}
What is the likely world demand for a shed like a Smart roadster anyway? I don't think I've ever seen one.
Wales favourite for new car plant - Sofa Spud
Project Kimber? MG (Morris Garages) was started by a man called Cecil Kimber, who died in a railway accident.
Wales favourite for new car plant - Pugugly {P}
'Panasonic Factory in Port Talbot is favourite. Prof. Garel Rhys says it's a goer. As previously stated he foresaw the state the British Motor Industry finds itself in now twenty years ago, so I'd buy shares.
Wales favourite for new car plant - jc2
You don't make profits on small cars;it's hard enough on big cars.It sounds like another idea that will tranfer millions from our pockets to it's MD's pocket when it goes broke.I bet the Prof. doesn't put any money in;as someone who worked in the industry for years,I noticed plenty of people outside who could tell you how to fix all the problems but never got involved themselves.
Wales favourite for new car plant - colinh
Wasn't the last car plant in Wales at a washing machine manufacturer in Merthyr - the Sinclair C5?
Wales favourite for new car plant - Sprice
Yeah (I'm from Merthyr), the C5 was built at the Hoover washing machine factory . Isn't there a company called Gilbern that builds cars in Wales?
Wales favourite for new car plant - Armitage Shanks {p}
There was but it ceased trading in 1974. Great looking cars!
Wales favourite for new car plant - jc2
They're trying to get the rights to the Healey name as well;probably put frogeye h/lights on it and call it the Healey Smart.
It was the Gilbern car company - which still have a following. Toyota and Ford have large engine plants there as well.
Sorry spirce about re-posting. Head fried today
Wales favourite for new car plant - Vin {P}
Let me put my oar in. I thought this was good news. Jobs good or not?

V
Wales favourite for new car plant - bell boy
quote>>>>>>>>>>>An announcement is due at the British International Motor Show in London that Wales has beaten Germany and the West Midlands to be the preferred location.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

i just hope they dont welsh on it and give them the jobs that are needed in the valleeys :)
Wales favourite for new car plant - MG Man
Yeh im sure any jobs it brings would be welcome, but do we really need another roadster, especially as we will be getting a reconstituted NAC-MG TF with its chinese built engine and parts and probably with a True to tradition MGRover facelift with new err Bumpers, front lights and maybe we will even move the position of the rear numberplate.
Wales favourite for new car plant - Thommo
Quote from todays Torygraph.

'What level of Regional Selective Assistance from the Welsh Assembly Government? The people involved went to such extraordinary lengths to avoid my legitimate questions that frankly I'm suspicious.'

Looks like a MAJOR bung then.