"I didn't see you" - SjB {P}
Though thankfully, I saw her...

In a 30 limit whilst riding the Hornet home today, I saw a car hesitantly being driven out of a car park in to the main road; all the time the driver was looking to her left whilst I arrived from her right. Doing barely 20MPH with plenty of pedestrians around, I thought "uh-oh, she's going to keep coming", bled off speed, and with a gentle bit of brake, fully stopped a car length short of her.

She then completed her hesitant manoeuvre - still all the time looking left - and with absolute shock noticed me stopped as she drew alongside and started to proceed in the direction I'd come from.

At my "Good Lord, where did he come from?" in loud stage voice, she then had the cheek to stop, and through open window deliver a lecture about bikers this, bikers that, and bikers appearing out of thin air! The final sentence was "you're all a menace, no respect for anybody (que?), and anyway, bikes should be banned".

Nice to know that generalisations are alive and well and she knows the real self searching reason for her surprise.
"I didn't see you" - JH
S,
as I'm sure you're aware, she knows she's the guilty party. She feels (is!) stupid and is trying to move the fault. It's amazing how some people react but it's best to just shrug, as you seem to have done. I got a similar reaction from a woman who reversed off her drive and parked in my path recently. Apparently I was supposed to drive round her. As there was oncoming, I stopped. She was not happy!
JH
"I didn't see you" - martint123
Although it happens all the time, I remember an incident from last year with clarity.

I was riding on a rural A road at NSL and noticed a landrover in a minor junction on the left. He stopped, looked both ways - I saw his eyes - and just pulled out and turned right into my path. I'd half expected this, so was on the brakes and came to a halt before being wiped out. Likewise, F'ing and blinding from the driver.
However, a plod-on-a-bike turned up and this bloke started rattling on how I was hurtling down the road at xxx MPH. At which point the cop invited him to view the video he was making of me, fully expecting me to exceed the limit further up the road.
The look on his face when he saw what he'd done.... Excellent result - "driving without due care and attention". I'd have prefered "attempted manslaughter" though.

Martin
"I didn't see you" - Altea Ego
Unlike the woman who didnt see me approach as she pulled out of a side road. The ducatti cut her mini nearly fully in half just in front of the scuttle, while the young TVM bounced thirty yards down the road and landed on the forecourt of the combined firebrigade/ambulance station.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
"I didn't see you" - Thommo
To quote the motorcycle god that is Ogri:

Driver. 'But I didn'tsee you'.

Ogri. (about to inflict severe violence on the driver) 'Thats because you didn't XXXXXXX look!'
"I didn't see you" - Bill Payer
They do look, but they don't see.

It's a common accident on Cheshire's plentiful single carriageway A roads - sometimes a vehicle can lost in the wider A posts that are needed on cars these days, but also drivers coming out of side roads somehow seem to look last the immediately approaching vehicle and just see space.
"I didn't see you" - Bill Payer
Sorry - "last" should be "past".
"I didn't see you" - Fullchat
A common reply to the question, " Why did you pull out infront of the vehicle approaching?"

is " It was travelling too fast!"

To which I ask the question, "Do you always pull out infront of vehicles that are travelling fast?"

Nothing much to ask after that one!
--
Fullchat
"I didn't see you" - Pugugly {P}
I went out with SWMBO yesterday afternoon. The Motorcycle runes were not good. It was too hot for one thing. Lots of cars around including a nice looking Porsche 911 (new un - why the hell do Porsche feel the need to put a chav type TURBO badge on the back of it ?) ......anyway, having travelled through a nice but busy and cobbled village centre, saw this woman emerge from a side road pusing a bicycle, slowed down, sounded horn (which is whimpy) - now how invisible is a R1200GS, two up, fully loaded with wired in front lights, a bike that is reegarded as a two wheel Humvee ?? Well apparantly I'd had the BMW Motorrad optional cloaking device engaged, she didn;t even look. Bikey is hardly quiet either. No escape route as the walls narrowed the road to a single track, braking from this speed would have been marginal to say the least on this surface, I was doing barely 10mph as SWMBO engaged Klaxon voice behind me, if I'd have braked stopping half a ton of bike and passangers would have caused mayhem. I don't think she even saw me.........serves me right for slagging that cyclist on here earlier in the weekend.
"I didn't see you" - Stuartli
I can recall at the very least three occasions where my late father, an exceptional motorcyclist from a period before the war until the late 1960s, had to drop his bike on its side to avoid hitting vehicles pulling out from side roads in front of him or going straight across his path turning right.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
It wasn't an option yesterday - the dynamic risk assesment was that I would have struck the rear wheel with the nearside crash bar/cylinder, which might have flicked me off, but as I said yo don;t mess wtth half a ton of bike. This is where BMW's brakes are far to fierce in operation.
"I didn't see you" - Pete M
After many years of motorcycling, I've developed a very wary eye on drivers who are about to turn across my path. I've had a number of incidents when eye contact is made, and then the manoeuvre executed by them, despite the obvious danger. I've managed to stop or avoid contact, except for one incident. In 1978 a coach was turning right at an intersection from the right lane. I went straight through the intersection in the left lane, and was hit on the right side by a car. The driver said he saw me coming and thought he could get round in time. Wrong. One damaged Z1 Kawasaki, one degloved right lower leg. A couple of positives were that the bike was repaired by insurance and I got to meet a nice nurse in hospital, who is now Mrs PM of 27 years standing. There's a silver lining etc...
I have noticed that women seem to have more difficulty with the whole speed-time-distance estimation exercise. Most of us can see a car coming and determine whether we have room or time to cross before it. On the bike, I find that a greater proportion of women are either over-cautious, or over-confident (dangerous) when called upon to estimate closing speed of a vehicle. Is this a genetic thing, like map-reading skills, or just lack of training?

Disclaimer: Many women are fine drivers and are considerate on the road. Many men are appalling drivers and also cannot judge distance and speed.
"I didn't see you" - Tim Allcott
I'm intrigued by the brain's capability to judge speed/distance via the eye; even more fascinating at night when the clue is two diverging dots of light. Do current bikers find people "pulling out" happens more at night or less? Having only one point of light to work from (and, thus, having to judge how rapidly that one point is expanding) must surely be even harder to get right...
Tim{P}
Yes a certain factor is almost certainly the frontal aspect ratio. A car, has a front aspect that widens as it gets nearer, hence providing a degree of visual feedback. Bikes, being so much narrower, and with just one single focal point do not offer this visual clue and provide no clue of approach speed.

Most "pulling out into bike" accidents are in 90 degree situations, widen or narrow the angle of visibility and the driver gets an appreciation of speed and timing,
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
"I didn't see you" - AngryJonny
I find, as a driver, that when confronted with one approaching light, be it a bike or a car with a squint, I simply cannot judge their distance and speed. In such circumstances I'll just sit and wait for them to pass, regardless of how long it takes, rather than risk pulling out in front of them. If it's a bike, that's fine. If it's a car with a squint I'll have a futile yell at them for driving with a light out.

And in response to the original post, my experience is that the more beligerent someone is about something and the more aggressively they insist that you're in the wrong the more they realise that they are actually in the wrong themselves regardless of whether or not they admit it. "The lady doth protest too much, methinks" etc.
"I didn't see you" - No FM2R
>>cannot judge their distance and speed.

I would think that the majority of "car pull out in front of bike" accidents are not cases where the bike was seen and its distance/speed misjudged. I would say that in the majority of cases teh bike simply isn't seen at all.

Firstly we don't look as far as we can when we look left or right, we look as far as we think we need to essentially that is the distance that within which we believe a car can reach us. Therefore something moving faster may be further away than we actually look - and more often that will be a bike than a car.

We also subconciously draw conclusions which we use to affect how far we look or how carefully we look; e.g. if you see a crossroads interrupting the flow then we won't normally look across it, failing to rememebr that a vehcile, particualrly a bike, could get across that junction pretty quickly and get into the position of affecting or being affected by our pulling-out manouver faster than we have allowed for. Consequently a lot of bikes get nailed shortly after they've pulled aroudn or away from a hazard.

These and other similar reasons would also be the reason that most of the people who pull out in front of a bike are the more experienced car drivers who have built up this stock of reference data. A new driver, presuming that they look at all, will typically look further and more thoroughly wihtout drawing subconcious conclusions and is therefore perhaps more likely to see a bike.
ISTR a learned gentleman saying that we only see what we expect to see. i.e. we look for cars coming and if there aren't any there then we pull out.
I can well believe this. Every instance of folk pulling out in front of me is in daylight as I don't tend to ride at night.

Martin
"I didn't see you" - Andrew-T
"Therefore something moving faster may be further away than we actually look - and more often that will be a bike than a car"

Perhaps when checking to pull into another road, we subconsciously assume no-one is doing more than the limit? And also perhaps, a bike is more likely than a car to be exceeding it ? ;o)
as I'm sure you're aware, she knows she's the guilty party.
She feels (is!) stupid and is trying to move the fault.

And
The more beligerent someone is about something and the more aggressively they insist that you're in the wrong the more they realise that they are actually in the wrong themselves regardless of whether or not they admit it.

This is actually what I was getting at with my final sentence about self searching; yes, I shrugged it off, but it amazes me why people feel the need to dig the hole deeper rather than literally put their hand up and say "sorry". In my own experience such honesty usually saves the day, and when they get home they'll think "damn, what a plonker I was" (having first told the hubby/missus why the other party was at fault) and realise the other party thinks even less of them for their groundless defence; why therefore do it in the first place?

"There's 'owt so q u e e r as folk", as my father will say. (potential swear filter bypass felt justified given the context of usage)
"I didn't see you" - PW
My wife actually did that the other day. Pulled out on someone approaching her from the right on a roundabout then shouted "Haven't you heard of give way from the right?" at the other driver.

Been kicking herself repeatedly for it, and calling herself all the names under the sun, but only realised her error once she got home.
"I didn't see you" - meandering
I guess sometimes drivers don't see bikes because of the blind spot in each eye. If you glance to the right at a junction you will see almost everything within your field of vision, but a bike is probably narrow enough to be within the blind spot of one eye.

To avoid this effect you only have to turn your head so you can see oncoming traffic with both eyes.
"I didn't see you" - barney100
I must hold up my hand and admit to not seeing a cyclist when reversing from my drive the other day. I always look carefully and cannot understand how I did not see him. It is easily done so I will doubly check in future.
Even more reason to force all road users onto motor-bikes for the first few months of their driving career.
Even more reason to force all road users onto motor-bikes for the first few months of their driving career.

I'm sure thats why riding on the continent is a much more pleasurable experience. I don't know about now, but certainly in the recent past, moped/scooter then car was the norm, so they know what it's all about,

Martin
"I didn't see you" - bikemade3
Last year Mr Myopic pulled out in front of my car, resulting in the front of his C3 being cleaved off, if i was on my bike then i would have been visiting hospital in a ambulance.. II was in a car for god sake how can you miiss it in daylight- simple his mind was on other things, didn't look didn't see............... Since that date i've always worn a relective top ( aka Polce style with reflective Arms and zipped up front). In addition i always riding with my light on and people still pull out , best idea is to treat other car drivers as idiots and assume that they haven't seen you. Other quality kit to wear Alpinestar SMX boots size 11's leave quality dents in car doors as lasting reminders to watch out for motorcyclists.
Bike,

Whilst not condoning such behaviour I assume you are referring to the choice of kings the Tech 6.

Took me two years to wear the damn things in and at many points I wasn't sure who was wearing in who.
>boots size 11's leave quality dents in car doors as lasting reminders to watch out for motorcyclists.

This type of comment really gets on my wick gives bikers a bad name and frankly if you did it to me the rest of your body would be under my front wheels.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >

"and at many points I wasn't sure who was wearing in who."

Brilliant - Sometimes the 1200 feels like that......
"I didn't see you" - bell boy
if i was innocent i would totally agree tvm but you see car drivers treating bikes /horses as lower order these days and if i was a biker which im not then i can see the door cave in attitude from what i call responsible bikers (i have no interest in the la polez edition 125 specal edition bikes though as im the first to cut them off at the pass so they cant get to the front of the queue to rev the things for no better reason than they aint got a brain) insert any plastic crap machine you like here
"I didn't see you" - mss1tw
if i was innocent i would totally agree tvm but you
see car drivers treating bikes /horses as lower order these days
and if i was a biker which im not then i
can see the door cave in attitude from what i call
responsible bikers (i have no interest in the la polez edition
125 specal edition bikes though as im the first to cut
them off at the pass so they cant get to the
front of the queue to rev the things for no better
reason than they aint got a brain) insert any plastic crap
machine you like here

I've never understood this point of view - would you rather I was another box in your way the queue, or out of your way making my why to the next in queue, maknig my way through that, etc.

There's no way my bike is a plastic fantastic either ;o) tinyurl.com/ltv9b
"I didn't see you" - bikemade3
>boots size 11's leave quality dents in car doors as lasting
reminders to watch out for motorcyclists.
This type of comment really gets on my wick gives bikers
a bad name and frankly if you did it to me
the rest of your body would be under my front wheels.

Alright then in the case of my car acident , single carrage "A" road thru' a village,30 MPH, third party on left hand junction turing right pulls out straight in front of me.He freely admitted that he was not paying attention to what he was doing and his mind was on other things . His excuse sorry i,m taking my wife to hospital she's booked in 4 a operation this afternoon ( cancer). My response oh " thats makes it alright then to pull out". If i was on my motorbike it would have hurt, probably broke both legs and ended up in a snotty heap.

"Sorry mate didn't see you" is no excuse might as well say "couldn't be arsed to look"
Als a follow up i tried to get the third party charged with "Driving without due care and attention " all he got was a informal caution regarding his driving.Perhaps motorcyclists would not feel so agrieved if car drivers got charged with "dangerous driving" if they were responsible for taking out a motorcyclist.

Must add as a final point i've seen some bad motorcycling, but then again i,ve seen some bad car driving, and bad car driving injures motorcyclists a lot more often.
"I didn't see you" - Andrew-T
"Even more reason to force all road users onto motor-bikes for the first few months of their driving career"

PU, I hope that (even as a biker) you are making a TIC remark here. Still-learning car drivers are hazardous enough; put them all on bikes first and I'm not sure things would improve. I can follow your logic however.
"I didn't see you" - graham sherlock
I just put it down to being part of my life as an active biker. We've all met these donkeys, and mostly avoided them. My motto is just nod and smile. That's the infuriating bit for them.

PS Just test ridden a Buell last week. What a hoot, but not for commuting.
My motto is just nod and smile. That's the infuriating bit for them.

Effectively what my "Good Lord, where did he come from?" did, I suspect, from her reaction!

Tried to hire a V-Rod - to see what the fuss was all about from the pro and anti camps - a Street Rod, or a Thunderbolt when I was working in Milwaukee last summer; I even took my own boots and gloves with me, but unfortunately there were some Harley events on and they'd all been rented out. Shame. :-(

I got a taxi out to one of the events though; what a day. I still have no desire for a traditional Harley, but the newer machines looked fabulous and the cameraderie was terrific.

Some photos at groups.msn.com/honestjohn/harleysmorethanjustabike...w
"I didn't see you" - Lud
They may have some serious Japanese and European input to the modern versions, but Harley-Davidson bikes (I always thought) are crude, old-fashioned, thirsty, ill-handling and slow. And quite frankly these customised devices while amusing in a way are pretty damn ridiculous looking.

For big V-twin motorbikes, think Vincent. A late friend had a stripped example with low racing handlebars like sheep's ears down on the forks. He gave me a lift through central London on it once (before the days of helmets) and in top gear, with the engine idling, it was doing 45mph. How he could steer it in traffic with those bars I couldn't understand. Even stripped it was a pretty heavy machine.

Surely a motorbike is a driving tool, not a poser's accoutrement. All that bling and chrome shouting: Look at me! The coolest biker gangs have matt-black, heavily-tweaked devices that look even more wicked than they actually are. There's a largely black biker gang from Harrow or Harlesden one sometimes sees doing wheelies in Harrow road in rush hour. Now that you can respect.

Just my own opinions of course.
Whilst I am a Triumph man I understand the Harley phenomenon.

Its not a bike so much as a life style. A local pack. Instant new friends. Trips out at a steady pace to real ale pubs. Girlfriend/wife friendly. Etc.

Very very smart marketing of very crude machinery sold at very high prices.
"I didn't see you" - Onetap
They look through you, like you're invisible.

It happened to me innumerable times in my biker days. I then bought an ex-police Triumph (that will tell you how long ago this was), black Belstaff jacket, white helmet. I looked (vaguely) like a plod and everyone notices Mr. Plod. Never happend again on that bike.

There's also a some who see you and pull out anyway. They see you're a motorcyclist and since they're driving a car/van/taxi/lorry/bus they know you'll be forced to stop or you'll get hurt.
"I didn't see you" - Onetap
They look through you, like you're invisible.

It happened to me innumerable times in my biker days. I then bought an ex-police Triumph (that will tell you how long ago this was), black Belstaff jacket, white Everoak helmet. I looked (vaguely) like a plod and everyone notices Mr. Plod. Never happend again on that bike.

There's also a some who see you and pull out anyway. They see you're a motorcyclist and since they're driving a car/van/taxi/lorry/bus they know you'll be forced to stop or you'll get hurt.
"I didn't see you" - Grenache
Perhaps it's due to many drivers coming up to a T junction and looking left first instead of right first - I'm sometimes guilty of that too. This leaves less time for judgement as you're nearer the line before turning to look to the right (unless it's a Stop junction, of course).

What do others think?
Well, just for a change last night, it was the bike. Was on the B1248 from Wetwang (yes, seriously) towards Hull. Car waiting to turn right at T junction, and the bike comes round his left and in front of me. I had to go from 50 to 30 smartly, and I have to say I hit the horn (unhelpful, I know) I think the Highway Code says "without causing another driver to change speed or direction".... Did he see me?
Tim{P}
Sorry to double post: but a note of thanks to the six bikes behind the white van who were on their way back from the chippy, and were riding very well.
Tim{P}
Barton Bike Night. Dropped passenger off in Beverley and returning home. Approaching junction on left when Mini pulled straight out infront of me. I demonstrated my disapproval by showing him some digits (most unprofessional but boy it really does make you feel better!) As he passed me I saw he was a spotty faced youth with a vacant expression staring blankly at me. I watched him disappear in my mirror then saw a panda with blue lights emerge from the same junction and duly stop said youth.
Couldnt resist turning round and speaking to the bobbies who had seen the car pull out infront of me. As it turned out I knew one of them as he had recently left my charge at Training School and who I had taught all things traffic. I reminded him of the fixed penalty codes ( fail to Give Way -non endorsable and £30 )and left them to do their best(worst).
Who said there is never a copper round when you want one!
--
Fullchat
"I didn't see you" - Lud
I'm sure the youth would agree fullchat! But: was it a real Mini or a MINI?
Got me there! It was an oldish one, pre BMW. Is that a real Mini or a MINI???
--
Fullchat
"I didn't see you" - Lud
That's a real Mini. In my minicabbing days in South London, a rusty example pulled out carelessly in front of an HGV rolling down the Clapham Road and got seriously run over and flattened, as did the two people inside it RIP...

So your youth was pretty lucky really.
"I didn't see you" - madf
It's the cars (mainly) who pass horses at 40mph## that annoy me. I'm not a horse rider but there are 2-3? riding schools within 2 miles and we see a procession of horse up and down the road all weekend. The muppets who pass a horse at 40mph (we are talking a country style road with room just for 2 cars and a horse abreast.. but that assumes the horse doe not bolt.

I've seen enough horse under partial control to pass slowly with a WIDE bearth..

## we are in a 30mph limit and near a schooll but neither appears to affect the brain dead around here especially the Saxo VTR at the top of our hill .

In winter they all slow down..

They don't see the occasional speed cop as well.. who caught 20 speeders in 30 minutes last summer on a Sunday afternoon.

madf