How good are these cars ? - LinuxGeek
Could someone let me know how good these cars are? I'm thinking of buying one with a budget of around £700. Would be looking for either 1.1 or 1.5D (don't know which one's better though). I'll be using it locally for delivery jobs and as a shopping cart round town. Are they easy to live with or as troublesome as 306 (had one and it cost me a bomb when head gasket went). Do they give good MPG and what are the common fault I should be aware of? Anything else you could suggest with regards to this car? I really would like to hear from someone who had it for a while.

Edited to reflect the new drop down menu classifications

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 25/10/2007 at 19:46

Peugeot 106 - local yokel
Remember that the Saxo is exactly the same car with a different skin, with the same engine options.
Peugeot 106 - PW
My Wife had an L- reg 1.4 Diesel for a couple of years and was fine. Head gasket went, but knew someone local who repaired it cheaply. Always expected car to breakdown or give trouble, but never did. Only thing that went was the lock on the front door, so was left unlocked for 18 months and didn't have any attempt to steal any thing.

Got very fond memories of the car, but was painfully slow.
Peugeot 106 - PW
Should add- only got rid of it as wife had a head on crash with someone going way too fast on country lane.
Peugeot 106 - R75
I had an M reg 1.5D from new for 2 years, MPG was excellent and got near 70mpg on a run if I took it easy, never fell below 50mpg whilst I had it. Then got a 1.1 petrol on a P plate from new, had that for about 18 months, out of the two I prefered the diesel, was much better on fuel, just a bit noisy - It also had far more grunt.
Peugeot 106 - LinuxGeek
Thanks for all your postings guys, Please keep them coming in.
Isn't Saxo more expensive and less reliable than Peugeots? I've heard their electrics are worst than Pugs?
Peugeot 106 - 659FBE
The Saxo and 106 are identical vehicles in all significant details.

In my view, the 1.5 diesel is the best of the bunch by far, giving astonishing economy with very reasonable performance. As has been said, it has a fair amount of "grunt" - good for a town car. Avoid at all costs the aluminium block 1.4 diesel, and any car fitted with the keypad immobiliser (up to about 1997).

Good: 1.5 diesel engine, galvanised outer panels, availability of pattern spares, roadholding & handling, easy sevicing.

Bad: Rust under rear end (remove spare wheel to check), radiators, brakes, pedal layout & driving position, electrical connections including immobiliser transponder aerial coil. There is a multiway connector in the front LH wheelarch - well done PSA.

Probably the best low cost town runabout available.

Peugeot 106 - madf
We have owned a 1.4 diesel from new.

Great car.
Watch rust under rear: as 659 says. You MUST check VERY carefully: the welded seams go..

Watch hoses and radiator: corrosion is obvious at top: antifreeze stains. Often less visible at bottom. IF the coolant is rusty/muddy walk away.

Power steering is a MUST with diesels.

Auxiiliary belts often wear quickly..

Swivel joints on lower front wishbone arms fail: a new wishbone is quickest and easist solution.

Easy maintenance.

1.1 Petrol nice: older son has done 40k in one from 30k to 70k in 3 years.with no major problems.

Driveshaft gaiters often fail.
Front disks rust. Easy change but depending upon type, calipers can be partially rusted up (slides holding pads in)

Check for immobiliser failure on 1997-9 models.. infrequent starting problem. £15 fix and 30 mins.

Rear wheel cyclinders fail. Rear wheel brake linings can become detached: sympton funny feel to handbrake..
(high miles and neglect).

55mpg from diesles on average - more on long runs.

If you are tall/have big feet then too cramped driving poistion - see 659

Saxo and 106 identical apart from badges/minor trim.

madf
Peugeot 106 - DP
SWMBO had an L-reg 1.4 XSi for a couple of years. Completely and utterly reliable and great to drive. Too buzzy to be any cop on the motorway, and the engine was very peaky, but it really did fly if you worked it hard.

Unassisted steering was a bit heavy when parking (I suspect the thinner tyred standard models are better in this respect) but there was loads of feel through the wheel at speed, and the gearbox was sweet enough. Interior a bit crappy with those lovely brittle, creaky French plastics everywhere, but it all worked and nothing fell off in the time we had it.

Not a comfortable car for taller people (I'm 6ft 2). The seat could have done with going back a couple more notches and the pedal box is ridiculously cramped and offset just far enough to the left to feel awkward. The throttle pedal is almost in line with the steering column. Tiny pedals too - I could almost press all three of them with one foot at the same time.

Bought with 82,000 on the clock, sold with 94,000. No breakdowns, no major problems, and only a leaking rear quarterlight seal to spoil an otherwise perfect fault record. This is a common fault apparently, but the seals aren't dear from Peugeot (about 15 quid if I recall and about 5 mins to fit). The engine was a bit tappety (clearances checked out fine), but it pulled well and didn't burn oil. I was told it's a characteristic of the TU engine when it's got a few miles on it and not to worry. Certainly it never got worse or caused any other problems.

The front discs were badly lipped when I bought it, but I haggled the guy down and did the job myself for less than I'd knocked off the price which is always a nice thing. Other than that, in the two years we had it, I did two services on it, plus the cambelt and aforementioned window seal. The car cost me not much more than £100 in maintenance and repairs in the 2 years I had it which is impressive by any standards. The remote locking never worked, but it never bothered me enough to be bothered to fix it.

Overall, I liked it a lot, and I'd have another. Proper, simple, fun small car like they just don't make any more.

Cheers
DP
Peugeot 106 - 659FBE
I think we've covered most things between replies, but a couple of further points:

The rear suspension trailing arm bearings are prone to rusting/breaking up at high mileages (the roller bearings get rain water in them). Look at the car squarely from the rear.

If you see /-----| or |----\ or even /----\ the bearings on the "sloping" side are shot. A further test is to jack up the rear completely and check the arm bearings carefully for any free play.

This problem is just not worth fixing. If you are a lover of grotty jobs, the whole axle assembly can be swapped, but the breakers know what these are worth, and good ones are scarce.

I can't agree about the need for power steering, the 1.5 diesel I use occasionally is fine for a reasonably muscular person. Remember that the electric power steer on the later models is not a paragon of reliability - you're better off without it. Simple is wonderful, as has been said.

Peugeot 106 - 659FBE
Gremlins in the sloping lines department: |----\ and /----\ were the last two.

Peugeot 106 - 659FBE
I give up!!! (but you get the drift).

Peugeot 106 - LinuxGeek
Guys you've put me off somewhat. Ok I don't want any luxury, a simple 1.1 car without power steering, central locking etc..Sounds like I'll really have to open up my eyes when looking on Pug106 or Citroen Saxo.
Peugeot 106 - PW
Think if you post a similar message about a £700 you would have a similar response. I would take all the above as positive. I certainly would have another without thinking about it. It just boils down to finding a good one.

Even a £700 quality car is going to have areas to watch.
Peugeot 106 - madf
I would not be put off by my comments. If you had asked about a Mark 3 Fiesta I would have said very similar things ... especially rust!!

The fact is the 106/Saxo are plentiful/easy to maintain/nice to drive and only really rust - if they do rust - in one place.

For £700 you are NOT going to buy a car without a few faults.

But there are lots around so you can pick and choose.. and a few well maintained low mileage ones as well...
madf
Peugeot 106 - BobbyG
LoveMazda, I have just sold my 97 Saxo 1.5D for £600 to my B-I-L. I had it for 5 years, took it from 20k to 90k miles, over that 70000 miles I average over 60mpg. Regularly drove it on 80 mile round trips to work.

I would thoroughly recommend the car. It had the keypad immobiliser and I never had a whiff of a problem with it. Latterly, I just took it into National every 6000miles for an oil and filter change. I am totally un-mechanically minded but was able to change the brake pads and discs myself.

Car never once failed to start. Sometimes you might be turning it for a few seconds but never failed to start.

Sister had a 106 and it suffered from the axle problem described above. I had the Saxo SX, it had PAS, E/W, sunroof. That was all the toys I needed.
Oh, and the only bit of rust on it was a bit on the roof where a lorry had thrown up a stone and it chipped it. The rust had stayed the same way for 3 years since it happened.

As a cheap, economical and comfortable car, I would thoroughly recommend it. I was so confident in it that I sold it to my own B-I-L.
Peugeot 106 - Captain Alex Zippy O' Toole
A couple of years ago I got myself a nice 106 1.5 diesel, it was the "Zest 3" model so had electric windows and power steering and suchlike, but it was still a very basic car.

(Incidentally, the power steering pump failed just before I took delivery, which delayed me getting the car for a week, but since it's a £300 cost for replacement, lucky it happened before I got it.)

It did me fantastic service for twelve months (and returned about 65mpg), but then one day it refused to start (it'd sort of chug over, emit an alarming plume of smoke, and then die).

Had to get it towed, and it was discovered that the major fuel injector box of tricks had rotted from the inside, maybe it'd had water through it at some point.

Cost for replacement and labour was an eye-watering £950.

I got the car fixed but I'd lost faith in it by that point, so I sold it for £2000 and got myself a 1996 Mondeo instead. (Which was an infinitely nicer car to drive.)

That said, I'm sure my experience with the 106 is pretty unusual, and if you can put up with the very noisy engine and basic accommodation, they're a decent little car with enough poke around town, and 65mpg (with diesel at about £1 per litre) can't be sniffed at.

Incidentally, my dad's had a diesel 106 for about three or four years now, and he's put an awful lot of miles onto it, and it's never missed a beat, he said it's given him the cheapest, most reliable motoring of his life. (Believe it or not he regularly does a Manchester-Scotland and return trip in it, it sits at 80-85mph quite comfortably, and he finds it plenty comfortable, even on such a long trip.)
Peugeot 106 - DP
Had to get it towed, and it was discovered that the
major fuel injector box of tricks had rotted from the inside,
maybe it'd had water through it at some point.
Cost for replacement and labour was an eye-watering £950.

On our XSi, the ECU was located under the bonnet directly underneath the shutline between the top of the wing and bonnet. No splash shields on it and not even a plastic cover over the multiplug connector.

I was expecting grief as a result of this, but mine was OK thankfully.

Cheers
DP
Peugeot 106 - mss1tw
Same on my former 306! Others I have seen have a little bag over the top. Still...what a place to put an ECU.
Peugeot 106 - pmh
>Guys you've put me off somewhat.

Having read this thread I find the comments remarkably positive! Just a couple of sensible warnings. Based on this I might consider one as an addition to the fleet to keep in France.

A £700 car is always gamble, but you can minimise the risks with a sensible choice. First ensure a longish MoT and look for a well maintained single owner version with a reason for selling. Remember a 12 month mot might hide the reasons it is being sold! Check for advisories.

--

pmh (was peter)

Peugeot 106 - sundance
Hi Mazman,

I have the same problem, my 1.5 diesel S reg, starts most times. But sometimes It just turns over but does not fire, like the fuel cut off soleniod is stuck.

If you can help me, then I'd be grateful if you could reply to my post in Technical Matters. Thanks.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 25/10/2007 at 20:36

Peugeot 106 - LinuxGeek
659FBE advised earlier to avoid 1.4 diesel at any cost. I would like to know are they all really bad? I've seen a 1.4 diesel 106 which is low mileage and its within my budger so I'm quite tempted to go for it but I don't want to buy something that'll be nothing but trouble afterwards. So please advise.
Also I would like to know what you guys think or if have any experience with old Astra 1.7 diesels (the one that comes in M/N reg). Are they reliable and return good MPG? Which one's more economical standard diesel or TD? Thanks guys.
Peugeot 106 - PW
We had the 1.4 diesel, and apart from the HGF never had any problems with it. Yes it was extremely slow, and useless on steep hills, but apart from that thought it a great little car for a town runabout.

Peugeot 106 - mjm
The 1,4 diesel is slow and without power steering is a real pig to park. We had problems with gear selector linkage but it was head gasket failure which led to it going to a new home. All in all, considering the lack of tlc it received it wasn't that bad.
Peugeot 106 - 659FBE
The 1.5 litre engine is better in every respect - iron block, no cylinder liner fretting meaning longer head gasket life, and more power. As the economy is just as good and the 1.5 engines are readily available at rock bottom prices, it would not make any sense to buy a 1.4 now.

Peugeot 106 - madf
>Lovemazda
Wife has had a 1.4 diesel from new and still has. It has an average journey length of 1 mile or so and has NEVER failed us when running in 13 years. Anuual oil and filter changes and check of cooling antifreeze is the key - as it is an aluminium block and head ANY cooling system weakness can be fatal.

It is SLOW. But for town work it just keeps going and in reality is no problem unless laden with 4 adults (large kids) and driven up hills.
Ours has been to Scotland and back.. and averaged 65mph - foot hard down on hills.

About 60 -65mpg on long runs.

As a runaround a wellmaintained one is cheap and comfortable (although we are average height and a six footer might struggle:-)

After 13 years it still looks less than 5 years old and has minimal rust (waxoil).

Basically ok - check for all faults and run away from one which looks as if engine is neglected or ANY signs of coolant leaks. There is one engine hose on auxiliary belts side - with multiple connections running from water pump to radiator. This tends to split at ends and costs around £35.. Inspect ALL VERY carefully.

madf
Peugeot 106 - mike hannon
Spent a few days earlier this year driving up and down the Alpes Maritimes behind Nice and Monte Carlo with a six-year-old 106 1.4 petrol, carrying four largish adults. It went amazingly well and was much more roomy than I expected.
I mentioned in another thread that the 106 non-turbo diesel I had on road test years ago was probably the most sluggish car I ever drove. It was very new though.
Peugeot 106 - Chuffer Dandridge
I've owned an L reg 106 1.4 diesel for the past 2 1/2 years, purchased for £1000

Over that time I've covered 20K, driving it daily and nearly all short, stop start trips and lost of sitting in traffic.

Average of 55mpg, along with lower road tax keeps running costs down

Easy to drive, and though not fast it can keep up with traffic in town & does everything I want of it. Have also taken it on longer trips, obviously doesn't have the comfort or power of a bigger car, but it's not intolerable.

Never found the lack of power steering a problem, alhtough my wife does. I suspect she tries to turn the wheel when the car is not rolling.

I can fit 2.4m lengths of timber inside if necessary, and have fitted a tow bar and have no problems towing my sailing dinghy with it.

Floor around the handbrake splitting is a common fault on older models, & costs a bit to fix as seats and carpets have to come out first.

Ignoring depreciation my total running costs; fuel, fully comp insurance, breakdown recovery, tax, mots, servicing and repairs have been £3,325 or £110/month
Peugeot 106 - bell boy
i wouldnt buy the old 1.4 but i do like the 1.5 engines
at the end of the day you stand more chance of buying a bad 1.4 due to age
i used to see loads of these at auction with the usual drained water trick........... get it through the sale fast............
look for a 1.5 and spend a grand...... £700 is not enough for a sorted goodun unless widow twankey died in it and her sons want the spoils of the will splitting quickly
There is nothing wrong with the petrols either by the way if they have been serviced and arent a milion miles behind in mpg figures for your stop start/ type driving thats contemplated
Peugeot 106 - LinuxGeek
Guys I've managed to buy a 106 1.5 diesel within my budget. Its done just over 100k and seems to be in good condition. Drove it for 20/30 miles and it seems to be a nice car to drive.
So far the only slightly annoying thing is the battery light (in the dashboard) comes on every now and then and then just disappers. Any idea what it might be? I don't think it'll be battery light because car starts the first time everytime you start it up.
It hasn't got any proper service history so to make sure it stays troublefree I want to service it to start with. I'll do the job myself. What's the best possible oil for this engine? Shall I change the cam belt on it or shall I let it run for a bit before thinking about it? Any other suggestions? Also when turning right car makes a noise and it seems as if the CV joint needs replacing on o/s.
Peugeot 106 - 659FBE
First check for the battery light problem is the alternator drive belt, which on this car drives nothing else. It's tensioned with an idler which is adjustable from underneath - you need a hex key and a 13 AF spanner. The belt needs to be pretty tight on these cars; it should "ping" when you twang the longest run.

If the alternator drive is OK, check the fuses, then the ignition switch. If there are any voltage drops on the battery side of the warning light, it will glow when the alternator is running.

I would suggest a semi-synth 10W-40 oil for this engine, preferably meeting ACEA spec. B4. Fuchs make a good one. Change every 5k miles if you do short runs.

Cambelts last well on these engines and are not difficult to change. The recommended interval is 72k miles - I change at 50k. The water pump is a weakness, and will wreck the engine if it fails - I replace it every other belt change. Look for signs of leakage from behind the drive wheel.

Peugeot 106 - jinx100
Hi

Just wondered if you ever managed to resolve the problem with your battery light coming on? I'm having a similar problem with a 1.1 petrol 106, and it has had four alternators and a battery change without any success. It has totally baffled two local garages, but the car still starts and the length of time the battery light is on for varies. After each replacement alternator I've done 600-700 miles with not a flicker, but then the light starts coming on very briefly (at high revs for some reason) and gradually comes on for longer and longer until it is on about 70% of the time. Never had a problem starting the car except for once just after the first change, and that was due to a useless battery which was replaced.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as it is driving me mad and nobody has been able to tell me what the problem may be!
Peugeot 106 - drew1103
I bought an N reg 106 1500 Diesel for 750 quid 2 years ago. It ran and ran and I didn't have any issues with it. It only cost me the usual running costs and nothing else. Got rid of it recently as I fancied a change to a newer car. The 106 was really economical, got 100's of miles to a tank full.
Peugeot 106 - Martin1981
No-frills 106s are cheap and cheerful and are ideal as a first car if one's budget won't stretch too far. I'll be on the lookout for a 1.5D 106 for my sister if she passes her driving test sometime this year. Her budget will probably be no more than £750 as she's off to uni at the end of the year. Should be able to get one on an R/S plate within her budget without too much trouble. Running costs and insurance are within affordable levels and fuel economy of the 1.5D is excellent.

Martin
Peugeot 106 - james86
A red 106 1.0 XN was my first car after passing my test (N reg). It was a fantastic little car - I drove it quite hard but looked after it well in terms of oil and things (it did get through quite a bit of oil). Eventually I ended up needing to do more motorway runs and obviously it's not much good for regular long distance so had to sell it on. Also around the same time it started making a noise from the rear suspension occasionally so probably a good time to shift it! It was on about 100k when I sold, about 15k of which was mine.

Completely recommend them, as everyone has said any car in that range will have potential problems or maybe need some work but you won't go too far wrong with a 106!
Peugeot 106 - marcdominic
I bought an N plate (1995) 106 1.5D last October, my last car having been a great 1.8 Golf Mk2 GTi that I drove into the ground till it became too expensive to keep alive. Despite the change in (my) driving style (hehehee) the little PugBug is a great car to drive. The 1.5D certainly has some poke but nowt compared to the 130 mph Golf. I drive a lot of (modern larger) company cars (BMWs, Jaguars, Audis and presently have a Honda Civic on '05 plate) but I think the PugBug is right cool around town. Dead easy for parking :). Excellent handing too.

Only cost me £300 with 4months tax and half a tank of diesel, so say more like £240. It's less than £200/year fully comp with protected no claims, low tax, over 500 miles on a £40 full tank and more if I took it a little easier!

MOT is due end July 2007, so a had a mechanic friend look over it. It needs a new f/nearside brake caliper and r/offside drum and two new front bushes (say £300 inc labour to get it through - although I'll try and get second hand parts and the works garage to fit them for a lot less). I don't want rid cause theys nowt else wrong and it's a great little car. 90,000 on the clock and still going strong. I'd recommend them to anyone who wants a city runaround...

However, if anyone's got a cheap Mk2 Golf going I'd would like one of them as well...

Peugeot 106 - piggy
My wife has had two Pug106`s and both proved very reliable. The first one was run up to 120k with no serious problems and was traded in for a newer model 106,surely a gold standard recommendation. As far as I can remember,the only items to go were the door pin on the driver`s door,and the bonnet hinge on one side.
The second one she ran to 80K and eventually traded it in for a newish Corolla as she was concerned about the crash safety of the 106,probably with some justification. This second 106 had no problems whatsoever.
All in all,a very underated little car.
----------------------------------------
hurrying on- to a receding future
Peugeot 106 - madf
To add to above, oldest son has a 1998 1.1 whish we bought 4 years ago with 30k, now 90k. Just written off after crash. No major problems - just wear and tear.
Youngest has just bought a 30k 1996 one - looks immaculate one elderly owner. Slight oil seep from engine..a weeked job at Xmas:-(. After a new speedo drive, goes very well. Both average around 40mpg.

Watch on older ones for rust in front longitudinal members which start under the front floor (behind engine) and run to midway of the car. These have a plastic sealing washer at the front covered with plastic underseal. With age this cracks.. lets in moisture and they rust.. badly. MOT fail but weldable.

On SWMBO's 14 year old 106, I stripped off plastic and sprayed wax into member. - 4 years ago. Still perfect now. Younger son's one has been welded.. very well.

madf
Peugeot 106 - LinuxGeek
I'm so amazed to read how reliable some of the Pug 106 1.5D has been for some posters here!

Here's what went wrong with mine for few months which I had and then luckily someone hit me from the back and it was a right off and I was well relieved to see it go!

New Alternator (battery light flashing was due to it).
New Radiator (older one started leaking when I flushed it).

It had another very strange problem where it would just refuse to start the first thing in the morning. Then I would hand pump the fuel (my thumb used to hurt really badly afterwards) to start up but once it was warm starting was never and issue.

Peugeot 106 - honestinjun
in my most honest opinion i will never ever go near a french car ever again! especially peugeot's.
i bought a 106 1.1 from my brother, the brakes were a nightmare to do,took me about 5 days in total. i had to replace the thermostat cos it had over heating problems, it had a blown head gasket, bald tyres due to tracking problems, door locked was goosed, water pump is now gone and cylinder head is cracked!!

i recently owned a 1989 toyota corolla, i paid £300 for it in 2000 did 60000 completely trouble free miles in it before it died with 160000 on the clock, it died cos i abused it and didnt look after it, i barely ever put oil in it and never had to do any of this work to it except the brakes, which used to take me 3 hours to do front and back. and i had trouble free use of it never once failing to start for nine blissfull years

this peugeot pile of pink fluffy dice only has 62000 miles on the clock is s reg and it seems nearly everything is pink fluffy dice!

and everything that does need fixing practically needs destroying in order to remove.and through searching other forums it seems that the troubles ive had with this are quite common and almost to be expected

these cars are pink fluffy dice and i will never till the end of my days buy another

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 15/09/2008 at 14:46

Peugeot 106 - DP
i bought a 106 1.1 from my brother the brakes were a nightmare to do
took me about 5 days in total.

The front pads and discs on mine took about 90 minutes, and that included stopping for a fag and a coffee between sides. What happened?!
Peugeot 106 - madf
Even I - an absolute amateur - changed the front disks and pads and rear cylinders and shoes and bled the brakes in under 8 hours work despite rust making disk removal a hammer and drill job.
Peugeot 106 - Andrew-T
>in my most honest opinion I will never go near a french car ever again! especially Peugeot's <

Oh dear ... another vindictive generalisation. Have you owned more than 2 or 3 French cars? It is always possible to be unlucky buying used - but please don't assume every car of a certain make or nationality will be the same. Doesn't the gist of this thread mean anything?
Peugeot 106 - oldnotbold
"in my most honest opinion I will never go near a french car ever again! especially Peugeot's"

Keep shouting it loudly, please, so the prices of Peugeots drop even further. That way I'll spend less of my hard earned cash when I buy my fourth Pug.

It may amuse you to know that I've done 10k in my 405 TD so far this year. New tyres and brake hoses in March, not a moment's trouble. 200k coming up later this week.
Peugeot 106 - madf
Well between the three 106s in the family, we have had zero breakdowns~ so far in the last 6 years..(touch wood). Combined mileage about 150,000 miles.

Must be the poor quality of build and electrics...

:-)

~ one in 15 years when the throttle cable broke...
Peugeot 106 - 659FBE
Another vote for the 106 (diesel) here - 140k miles and no major failures.

They won't tolerate poor or absent maintenance though, but this particular car has now recouped its entire (second hand) purchase price in fuel saved.

Peugeot 106 - jase1
Keep shouting it loudly please so the prices of Peugeots drop even further.

But Pugs aren't cheap. Citroens are, and that's why I'd pick one over a Pug any day -- less money for same car.
Peugeot 106 - gsb
Maybe the moral of this tale is, don't buy another car off of your brother IF (?) he abuses cars more than you do.
Peugeot 106 - bintang
We have had a 1.1 in the family for years, currently undergoing frequent dentings by my parking-challenged daughter. It is a lively little car and I particulalrly like the nimble suspension. It is however too small for my 6' height and size 11 shoes (cramped pedal boxes are the bane of Pugs, I find.)
Peugeot 106 - davidh
Heres another shout for the 106.

Spent 3 happy years in a Saxo 1.5D.

Economy 55mpg even when pushing on. Performance, okay but nowt special. Car a little bit underbraked if anything. Pedals cramped - but you can master them - just watch that you dont sit too twisted because they are offset a little to avoid the inner wheel arch. Seat construction isnt the best - they can sag a little and arent sewed/stuffed as well as bigger cars or maybe Fiesta/Corsa seats.
Peugeot 106 - Andrew-T
>It is too small for my 6' height and size 11 shoes <

Even I had a 106 for a few months - nice to drive. But the tiny pedal box for MY size-11 shoes made me wonder what I might do in an emergency stop. I got a Punto instead - go on, laugh ...
Peugeot 106 - bintang
I got a Punto instead - go on laugh ...

So did I, excellent car, sorry I sold it.