2002 VW Lupo front end knock. - colabora
My wife's car has developed a clonk when driving out of the drive and sometimes over speed bumps or on uneven roads.My mechanic has had a quick look but can find nothing obvious (yet !) .If anyone has any ideas would they kindly let me know. It was fine when MOT'd in early April.
Cheers.
2002 VW Lupo front end knock. - bell boy
they are crap motors mate buy her something decent, anythings better than them things
2002 VW Lupo front end knock. - bell boy
probably a steering rack fault and they are a fortune on these cars......
2002 VW Lupo front end knock. - stuartl
Anti roll bar bushes? Lower balljoint gone? Wheelbearing? Really needs to be on a wheels free ramp and a pry bar lifting the wheels with a careful eye on these things and more. Personally I have little faith in MOT tests, You can take a car for a test at one and it fails on a tyre, take it to another and it fails on suspension and the tyres get the all clear.

I even took a car for a retest a few years back, a different guy did the retest from the original (a complete test as the car had been taken off the premises) and lo and behold found three spots of 'excess corrosion' that hadn't even been noted as advisory four days previously! (Original points of failure were a tyre and cracked door mirror)
Tin worms dont eat that quickly..........
2002 VW Lupo front end knock. - George Porge
How many miles? ARB drop link, damper, top mount, broken spring
--
2 Dirty VW diesels and a Honda with an 18 inch blade
2002 VW Lupo front end knock. - Aprilia
I strong suspect that it will be the drop link knocking. Seen a few of these fail on recent Lupo and Polo - inc. some at very low mileage.
Very many thanks.I will follow your suggestion up with my mechanic.
Hi Aprilia,
Have been away for a couple of weeks and have just got round to having it looked at by a another friend in the car business who has confirmed the problem as anti-roll bar bushes. £12 from local VAG agent who has never been asked for them before.VAG UK had 15, 18mm on stock and 14, 20mm (assume for the 1.6GTI) .Fitted in 15 mins this morning and noises have disappeared.
Colabora.
Just over 34,000
Thanks for your constructive comments.I will take it back to my mechanic for a more comrehensive look over.
Thanks for your comments. My wife is very pleased with the car as it's a belgian Import with extras and bigger wheels. I have to say on a trip to South Devon and back it proved to be a very suprisingly comfortable ride. It was her choice anyway .I will stick with my Honda !.