M25 on to M1 and up to J10 - Thommo
Had to do Guildford to Northampton at 1am this morning for a boring but necessary reason so thought I would risk the M25 to J21 and the M1 through the roadworks that stretch to J10.

At 1am the traffic crawled through this section at about 30ish. The speed limit is 40 and there are two sets of SPECS cameras in place but this is not an issue as this speed is unattainable anyway.

The truckers were doing their usual lovable stunt of a rolling road block in lanes one and two and the far side of lane 3 has a metal barrier separating you from oncoming traffic/roadworks.

So basically you spend 10 miles with a wall of metal to each side and some idiot up your exhaust pipe because you have the good sense to leave a proper gap with the car in front of you.

I did not feel safe on any section of this road and will avoid it completely until the roadworks are complete by taking the M40/A43 route.

Also to add a cherry on top a metal wind deflector big enough to be off an artic/large van was sitting in the outside lane just before Toddington Services. I spotted it and had to swerve in front of traffic in lane two to avoid the front of my car being taken off. I reported it to the fuss so hopefully it was removed before anyone got killed.

Fun, fun fun.
M25 on to M1 and up to J10 - Manatee
You'll have to wait a long time for the roadworks to finish - I haven't checked but I think it's going to be measured in years not months. There was apparently 6 miles of 'stationary' traffic southbound this morning by 6.45. I believe it's for the addition of another lane which will be limited to vehicles with passengers.

I knew the inflatable woman would come in useful eventually.
M25 on to M1 and up to J10 - james86
From memory I think they're ending some time towards the end of 2008.

I also have tried going through them in the middle of the night and it's still incredibly painful - as a regular commuter between London & York the M1 is a route I travel all the time, but am having to do various other routes to avoid it at the moment as it's just too long.
M25 on to M1 and up to J10 - Altea Ego
I am using the A1 (A1M)

On the whole its not bad
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >