What worth are the guides and so-called - pegleg2001

I paid for an online valuation of my 03 BMW 525d Sport Touring. Glass's says £15k (mileage adjusted and matching the condition parameters they specify), all dealers say £10k-£12.5k in part-ex.

What's the point of paying for Glass's if it is so way off?
What worth are the guides and so-called - v0n
I don't think it's the Glass' that's off. Offer of 10k for a car that's worth minimum 17k retail, that's laughable.
--------------------
[Nissan 2.2 dCi are NOT Renault engines. Grrr...]
What worth are the guides and so-called - daveyjp
It's cost to change which matters, not what you are getting for one car and what the other is being sold at. When I last changed the A2 was valued at more than top book and no discount on the A3, when the paperwork was sorted out the A2 value was reduced, but difference was made up on discount of the A3 - cost to me remained the same.
What worth are the guides and so-called - barney100
I had the same experience the other week with a derisory offer from a Mercedes main dealer. It was £2000 below list price and their car was top money. The cost to change suggestion is right and that should be the figure to assess.
What worth are the guides and so-called - pd
You don't state the mileage, but CAP has a 2003 525d Sport Touring as:

30k: £13500
60k: £11600
90k: £10350

So the offers are not widely out and, in fact, E39 values are falling through the floor at the moment so are possibly quite generous depending on what options are fitted.
What worth are the guides and so-called - rjr
So the offers are not widely out and, in fact, E39
values are falling through the floor at the moment so are
possibly quite generous depending on what options are fitted.

>>

...or the colour. Trade guide prices are for popular colours like silver or metallic black - a white one could be worth as much as £2k less.
What worth are the guides and so-called - v0n
You don't state the mileage, but CAP has a 2003 525d
Sport Touring as:
30k: £13500
60k: £11600
90k: £10350

Glass' valuation for 03 plate 525d Sport Touring
30k £15900
60k £13550
90k £11300

Looks like first question to part exchanging dealer should always be "Are you using CAP or Glass' for valuation"...
--------------------
[Nissan 2.2 dCi are NOT Renault engines. Grrr...]
What worth are the guides and so-called - pegleg2001
Thanks.

Interesting that CAP and Glass's are so different. The online system I used off the Vauxhall website must be out of date?

BTW - It's silver, black leather and 57k miles. Smartnav and tracker fitted if this makes any difference. It's an (03) 2003

I agree it's the cost-of-change that counts. Either a discount off the new car or a bolstered price on the part-ex to achieve the same effect, I guess.
Well, CAP put it at £12200 with that age and mileage. Haven't got Glasses to hand. The leather will help it a bit to sell but not add much to the value. The colour is also OK.

Guides are just that but I can't see anyone in the trade offering over £12k for it "true" price ignoring over allowances etc.
FWIW, CAP Retail is 15245.