Honda Accord - no big deal ? - Vincent de Marco
A friend of mine from Germany came to visit me in his MY '06 Accord 2.0 Comfort - an equivalent of SE spec in the UK. He absolutely adores it, though I simply cannot see why. So I took it for a spin...

Sitting on 15" steel wheels with 195/65 tyres it looks like a joke if you ask me. Okay, let's assume they didn't want to spoil the ride, but Honda please, please add some nice alloys while you're at it, even the new Civic has got them and they are 16" ! Steels ? Here ?! In an Accord ???

I have to admit that fit & finish inside is just superb, no doubt about that. I guess it can match the Germans, but the steering wheel is too big and thin for my taste, even the humble Vectra beats it.

The 2.0 petrol engine is quiet and very refined and naturally you've got to rev it to achieve anything, but since the gearbox is nice as well, that shouldn't be a problem. Good sound insulation, too. However, when it comes to handling, I suppose they couldn't decide whether they wanted to make it comfy or sporty. As a result, it's not comfy at all. Moreover, it's not sporty, either. It's something in between - rather poor I'm afraid on potholes and I'm told that on optional 16" wheels it's even worse. What a shame.

Although the dual climate control works OK, there are no vents for the rear seats. Hmm, these days even the Golf has got them. And the Vectra, naturally. And the Passat. And the 407. And... No rain sensor - phew. No auto lights. What ?! And the electric windows... only the driver's has the 'auto' function, why why why ? Then there's the audio - 4 speakers only and they sound barely decent.

As some of you might now, all Japs developed a strange yet simple attitude towards the trim specs. It's either this or that and very, very poor choice of factory fitted options, unlike the Germans or the French. You want the xenons ? Fine, pay for the Executive (that would be an EX in the UK). Same for leather, better audio and parktronic (there's only a rear one and yes, the Vectra has both front & rear).

23 400 Euros... Never ever, if you ask me. Yeah, I know - it's made in Japan. So what ?

- - - - - - -
Free enterprise is the basis of western economy.
Honda Accord - no big deal ? - Halmer
I noticed that HJ had a comment in this Saturday's Telegraph regarding the excellent level of after sale service on Hondas and in particular the Accord.

A view maybe that when you are charging £20k for a new car that's probably 'worth' £17k you can afford to keep a bit aside to placate people when things go wrong.

I like the Accord, but in comparison to say the Avensis, it's hugely overpriced. If people are willing to pay it, however, obviously its up to them (where free enterprise is the basis of western economy).
Honda Accord - no big deal ? - Andy P
My experience with Honda is that thay engineer the car, then add the interior later. Take the 2.4 engine in the Type-S - generates more power than some larger-capacity V6s. Suspension - all-round double-wishbone which, even on 17" rims, provides a comfortable ride with excellent roadholding.

Honda's may lack some of the "gimmicks" like rain-sensing wipers, but that doesn't seem to matter to owners - Honda are always at the top of the customer satisfaction surveys.
Honda Accord - no big deal ? - y2k+4
This isn't a particularly good example to conclude on. The SE has electric-power steering, with no hydraulic assistance (unlike Sport and Exec models), and the smaller wheels take away the emphasis from what is designed to be an all-rounder (with sporty pretentions). The SE is designed to be entry-level, a model that if you really can't afford to go higher will do, but potentially makes you fork out for the next model up - perfect marketing.

I suggest you have a go in the 2.2 CDTi Sport, and then re-judge. But I admit, given that Honda's hold their value so well, 1 year examples seem grossly over-priced compared to the (only slightly inferior) Mondeo.
Honda Accord - no big deal ? - Statistical outlier
Also factor in the free upgrade to the Executive spec they were doing when I got mine, and it seems like a very good deal indeed. And they are fairly cheap to lease because of the value holding. And you get a 90k warranty from a company that appears to make the effort if things do go wrong.

Problem is, you feel like a complete prat when insuring it: "Oh yes, it's the 'Executive' model. I think they've spotted this, hence renaming to 'Ex' now.

Saying that, never thought of the rear vents or auto lights - lights seem completely pointless, but the vents would be nice, it's a feature that I didn't even think to consider.
Honda Accord - no big deal ? - IanJohnson
Mine is on lease and was £££ cheaper per month than the Mondeo Ghia X which was the closest to the Honda spec, and about the same montly charge as an LX with heated seats and CD changer! Much lower BIK as well!
Honda Accord - no big deal ? - type's'
In reference to some of the statements above the reason the Japenese manufacturers limit themselves on options is because the more options you add the more variability you increase in the assembly process. Thats why the general base spec is usually pretty high in the first place. (Reduce variability = increased relaibility) You only have to look at Mercedes who have had major warranty problems recently usually associated with optional equipment.
I am also suprised at the comments on ride quality - this is the first time I have heard it being poor on an accord. Every motoring article on this car I have read said it was excellent.
The other thing to consider is that Honda in particular will not fit something to a vehicle until it is well proven to their standards. For instance they are now fitting computers in the dash on the accord - very late bt German standards and a simple bit of equipment in todays world but you know when Honda do it it will work - unlike the one in my passatt that broke after 37 months - oh and guess what - "sorry sir it is out of warranty and you will have to pay".
I am also not sure what the originator means by price differential.
VW Passat 2.0 SE = £18055 list price
Honda Accord 2.0 SE = £17430 list price

I do wish people would check their facts !!
Don't forget though, whilst it is a like-for-like designation, their respective places in the line-ups are different, I think the SE is the middle trim on the Passat, while the equivalent of that on the Accord is the Sport.
The specs looked almost identical to me (but I am happy to be corrected).
Sorry I wasn't very clear, what I mean is, that the Passat gives you the option to enter at slightly lower-spec grade (which I don't think is grossly different to Accord SE spec either, thus it can be cheaper - and the Passat isn't renowned for being the best value either!)
Honda Accord - no big deal ? - Murphy The Cat
I am also suprised at the comments on ride quality -
this is the first time I have heard it being poor
on an accord. Every motoring article on this car I have
read said it was excellent.

I road tested an Accord Tourer with the bigger Sport alloy wheels and the handling was very poor - particularly tramlining. Also the road roar from the wheels made the inside of the cabin a very noisy place to be. You either had to turn the stereo up loud to drown it out (and then turn it down quickly when you slowed down) or put up with the relentless intrusive drone. At motorway speeds, conversation was at the nearly shouting stage.

I never bought one.

MTC
I agree MTC the 17 inch wheels on Yokohamas do cause it to tramline.
Looking at previous threads on this forum I think that can be corrected with different tyres.
It can be a bit noisy depending on road surface, I noticed that compared to a friends '06 Astra it was much louder. But it's also much faster, much more confortable and I prefer the handlng despite some tramlining.

You pays your money and takes your choice. MTC: if I could afford it, I think I might well go for the 300C as well! Not really comparing like for like :-)
Honda Accord - no big deal ? - SjB {P}
Well built and utterly reliable though both undoubtedly are, it amazes me how Honda designed my Hornet motorcycle with individual, beautiful, styling and real character, yet their four wheeled products are so bland (Type Rs included and new Civic only marginally excepted).
You pays your money and takes your choice. MTC: if I
could afford it, I think I might well go for the
300C as well! Not really comparing like for like :-)

Fair comment - but this was well before I'd tried a 300C and was the time when I was driving a Rover 75 Tourer. The other cars that I tried were a Jag X type, Passat, Mondeo, Avensis, and Volvo V50 - these were the type of cars that I was considering buying and I think that the Accord fits nicely within there.

Also, at the time, the Top spec accord diesel (with the toys on it) was coming out around the £24000 mark, which isn't a lot less than the much higher specced (& higher performing & much bigger) 300C cost me at £25750.

The Honda was a good car, but (IMHO) very expensive, and the noise/handling made it very unuser friendly.

MTC

Wow, I wouldn't pay that for one!

I got the top spec with leather and the 17" alloys (but no satnav admittedly) in January for £19,300, which I think was a pretty good price. With the Satnav it would have been £20,800. I love the handling, I've had no problems with it at all, but I can see how the noise might irritate. Happily it doesn't bother me.
Honda Accord - no big deal ? - Bill Payer
Does anyone know the sales figures for Accord? I've seen a couple of comments that it's selling really slowly, but haven't seen any figures to back that up.

I tried one (a diesel Exec) for a few days. That engine is fabulous to drive, but the spec is a bit stange (I gather it's been updated a little since), but I thought the electric multi adjustable seats but *without* memory was particularly bizzare. It also didn't have things like elec folding mirrors.

I understand why the options list is limited, but the trouble is that anything you do want to add (if it can be) needs to be done at the dealer, which a) makes it expensive, and b) means they have to start taking your beandnew car to bits.
Honda Accord - no big deal ? - mike hannon
Anyone who has actually owned one, rather than driven one around the block, knows why Accords new, young or ten years plus down the road, are better than the opposition.
Hondas may not have so many toys but what they do have works, and goes on working.
If you have a problem, even out of guarantee, Honda is likely to be helpful - see how far you get with Peugeot, for example, in the same circumstances.
Not all of us are depleting the ozone layer by buying a new car every two or three years to try and keep ahead of the breakdowns and play with the toys while they still work.
The Accord I drive every day now is nearly 15 years old (had my first, new, 24 years ago). It runs like new, the bodywork is as clean as a whistle and even the electric aerial still works. it's done a lot of miles now and I have a younger Honda but it's so nice to drive and so untemperamental I can't bear to bin it, even though it's worth nothing.
AND it has rain-sensing wipers, automatic headlights and folding mirrors all worked by a central brain - mine.
I understand why the options list is limited, but the trouble is that anything you do want to add (if it can be) >>needs to be done at the dealer, which a) makes it expensive, and b) means they have to start taking your >>beandnew car to bits.

That ' b) ' above is particularly hopeless if you ask me.
- - - - - - -
Hi Gordon

Just so that you know I'm not giving you any BS, I was looking at a 2.2 Ex and then adding the goodies (but not sat nav) - I was quite surprised when it came to as much as it did. This was about 18 months - 2 years ago.

MTC
Don't worry, I can believe it - I know I got a very good deal and I'm very happy with the car. Anyway, everyone's got different priorities, and I like driving a car that's not too common, so it works for me.

When it comes down to it, I've got a car that does everything I want it to, and that puts a smile on my face when I drive it. That's good enough for me!

Gord.
Honda Accord - no big deal ? - paulvm
Gordon M - you did get a very good deal! Bought my Accord Tourer in May (2006 model) which is 2.2 diesel EX spec. Put on metallic paint, 17" alloys, parking sensors as options. The version i went for had Sat Nav & Bluetooth for mobile include for just an extra £500. Total bill was £23,750.
Standard spec of EX includes folding mirrors, electric sun roof, climate control, auto wipers & lights, electric rear door & premium sound system with 6 in the dash CD.
I wanted a flexible load carrier that cruised with minimal damage to the environment, and it does all of these.
Agree with all your comment!
Yeah, I deliberately bought just before the facelift (2005 model) and saved a fortune as a result. I wasn't worried about the new features, and suspected that the 6 speed box might not actually be an advantage. I'm happy with my choice.

I'm going to have to get new front tyres soon though - might sour things slightly as I think that will sting me for a couple of hundred quid. Ah well.
Honda Accord - no big deal ? - Bill Payer
...and suspected that the 6 speed box might not
actually be an advantage. I'm happy with my choice.

I agree with that - the 6 speed boxes seem like marketing gimmicks and the Accord is so smooth and has such a spread of torque that I found around town I could leave it in 3rd as long as it was rolling. Some 6 sp cars have to downshifted even at motorway speeds which just seems ridiculous.
Honda Accord - no big deal ? - ablandy
brand new they are expensive, but i got my 03 plate 2.4 type S tourer with 50k miles for under 10 grand last september from a well known west london car supermarket. Best bit was while i was umming and ahhing about getting it, they dropped the price by £500. Made me smile as they didnt realise.

so as a second hand purchase, that to me was a v v good deal!

every one says they hold thier value, but thats a big drop in two years.
Honda Accord - no big deal ? - colinh
Changed over from a Toyota Camry hire car to a Honda Accord yesterday - both have done about 60,000 km in Riyadh traffic. Former designed by cost accountants, engine agricultural, plastics near melting point if the car left unshaded - the latter engineered, sweet-sounding engine, and still felt like new. Only complaint - restricted headroom with sunroof.
Riyadh ? Hmm, I'm almost certain that must have been an 'American' Camry - and they're just not good when in comes to interior & materials used. The European version is fine, though.
- - - - - - -
Honda Accord - no big deal ? - NowWheels
A sunroof, in Riyadh? In that climate, I'd be keen to have the sun kept as far away as possible, rather than having a hole in the roof to let it cook me.
Honda Accord - no big deal ? - colinh
Correction to the above posting - now found lever to lower seat; headroom is more than adequate.

Weather here is very pleasant from October to April, when I assume the sunroof would be useful - I know I use mine throughout the year when I'm home in Spain.
>>Sorry I wasn't very clear, what I mean is, that the Passat gives you the option to enter at slightly lower-spec grade (which I don't think is grossly different to Accord SE spec either, thus it can be cheaper - and the Passat isn't renowned for being the best value either!)<<

Absolutely agree with you there the passat does give you accees to a good car at a much cheaper price.

If anyone is interested in how high mileage hondas keep going see:-
www.hondabeat.com/highmiles.php

>>Saying that, never thought of the rear vents or auto lights - lights seem completely pointless, but the vents >>would be nice, it's a feature that I didn't even think to consider.

That's OK if you drive alone with no one in the back, but being a rear passenger in a car with no additional vents and + 30 C outside is just painful.
- - - - - - -
Honda Accord - no big deal ? - Cardew
I was interested in the comment about Mercedes and problems with their optional equipment.

Personally I don't require, or rather don't want to pay for:

Alloy wheels
Sat Nav
Sunroof(when Aircon is fitted)
Xenon lights
Leather
Rain sensors
Auto lights
Folding Mirrors
CD player(I listen to the radio)

I could, and did, order bespoke Mercedes to a fairly basic spec from the factory when I lived in Germany. I would much rather have a basic 'quality' car - as I hope the Honda is - for a good price and not pay £thousands extra for extras that are of little appeal to myself.
I was interested in the comment about Mercedes and problems with
their optional equipment.

Hi cardew

you could buy a 300CD which despite being disgustingly cheap, also has all of the above items as standard - as well as parking sensors, leccy memory seats, dual zone climate control, loads of airbags, trip computer, cruise control, auto box, a diesel engine so sweet it could have been sponsored by Tate & Lyle, auto wipers etc etc & IMHO some of the best looks of any car in Britain on sale at the moment - but it does have a 3-6 month waiting list if you fancy one.

MTC

Hi cardew
you could buy a 300CD which despite being disgustingly cheap, also
has all of the above items as standard - as well
as parking sensors, leccy memory seats, dual zone climate control, loads
of airbags, trip computer, cruise control, auto box, a
diesel engine so sweet it could have been sponsored by Tate
& Lyle, auto wipers etc etc & IMHO some of the
best looks of any car in Britain on sale at the
moment - but it does have a 3-6 month waiting list
if you fancy one.

MTC,
I have driven the older and latest versions of the 300 - albeit petrol - in the USA and have been singing its praises for the past couple of years.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=33...0

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=26...6

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=19...7

It is undoubtedly excellent value in UK although the Jury is still out on its longevity as the manufacturer is not renowned for high quality; hopefully the Mercedes influence will produce results.

The point I was making is that it would be even better value, for me. If it didn't have all the bells and whistles and was a few thousand pounds cheaper.
I have driven the older and latest versions of the 300
- albeit petrol - in the USA and have been
singing its praises for the past couple of years.

Hi Cardew

at this stage the quality issue appears to be very good indeed, with only a transmission seal problem being reported on earlier American cars (now remedied) and nothing untoward with Austrian made cars.
Until recently, it seemed to be Merc that was having the quality problems (now solved ?).
Your point with the price is a good one but IMHO I thinkm that they have got the prices/spec 98% right. Lets face it, for the price of a barebones 320D you get one hell of a lot mare car.

MTC

p.s. Cardew, do you write on another forum ? It was your reference to America and some posts on another board about American visas that made me wonder
Your point with the price is a good one but IMHO
I thinkm that they have got the prices/spec 98% right.
Lets face it, for the price of a barebones 320D you
get one hell of a lot mare car.

p.s. Cardew, do you write on another forum ? It
was your reference to America and some posts on another board
about American visas that made me wonder

Hi MTC,
I would take issue with one statement. IMO you don't "get a lot more car" you get a lot more extras! Many of these, as I said before, are not worth the money to me and I suspect many others. A "barebones" 300 (or Accord) would appeal more and be better value.

PS
Yes, They have a Private Message facility - try me.

Hi MTC,
I would take issue with one statement. IMO you don't "get
a lot more car" you get a lot more extras!

I was meaning taht you get a larger car, with a much larger engine and bette rperformance for the same money, with the extras being (in one respect) free. But you make a good point.
In Amerca they do a plain Jane 300 and the 300C is well and truly on top of the pile. A basic 300 in UK would be well specced Mondeo/Vectra money I would Imagine.

MTC