Volvo S60 running costs and issues - Gazza
There's an option for me to buy a Volvo S60 2.0T auto or 2.4T SE auto, both 53-pate with 100k on the clock. I have read through the car-by-car breakdown and the previous posts of potential issues. I'm interested to hear from those who owns a higher-mileage S60 or knows about repairing high-mileage S60 on following subjects.

1) What have been repaired on your car? How much are the repair costs?
2) What's the fuel economy like between the 2.0 and 2.4? I use the car in central London and I heard that the 2.4 is significantly more thirsty in traffic.
3) Is the auto-box reliable?
4) As the 2.0 is only 20hp less than the 2.4, is the 2.0 similar to drive to the 2.4?

Thank you very much.
Regards, Gazza
Volvo S60 running costs and issues - Audikid

Can't really help with the higher mileage questions but feel suitably qualified to give you some MPG figures. Got a 2004 2.0T auto and live in central London. Not great numbers :-( but bought the car for long distance work and it was much less that the cost of an similar D5.

Worst figures were around 18mpg which was after a 2.5 hour journey across London with an average speed of less than 8 miles an hour. Generally I get 22-25 mpg around town and around 30ish on the motorway. The car is so relaxing and insulated on the motorway. Sticking below 80 it is possible to get 32mpg +

Only driven a 2.4T V70 and it seemed to have slightly more pull in the mid ranges but you could never call the 2.0 slow. The 5 speed auto box can be a bit clumsy (don't have geartronic) at times but the 5th gear is a very tall over drive and unless you are really pushing it the changes are smooth.

Posted previously - had a new steering rack under warrenty to fix some heavy steering. New rain sensor as well due to a botched windscreen replacement.

Volvo S60 running costs and issues - SjB {P}
Although the 2.0T 180 is much better - with a much fatter torque curve - than the anaemic normally aspirated 2.4i 170, although not sluggish I find it a little lacking compared to the 2.4T 200; the latter has one of the best real-world usefulness torque deliveries I've come across with useful shove from 1500 RPM, a peak at 1750RPM, and an engine that will rev out and smoothly pull to the limiter at 6300RPM instead of a diesel's sudden death between 4000 and 5000 RPM. The MPG advantage of a diesel is not an issue for me so this combination of turbo diesel grunt and smooth petrol engine revability suits me perfectly.

I chose my 2.4T over a T5 having tried both, and especially having now software tuned from 200bhp/285NM to 258hp/444NM have not regretted my decision; a superbly able machine. Since tuning, my fuel records for the Inland Revenue show an improvement from about 27 MPG to about 29MPG. My driving is a mix of all types except city. My last GPS 80MPH run on the cruise control to Stansted Airport gave 32.6 MPG, this being the highest I have seen (and am likely to see after a near uninterupted journey). In contrast, I recall that a GPS verified 158 MPH in Germany last summer gave less than 10 MPG!
Volvo S60 running costs and issues - Statistical outlier
16 gallons an hour. Ouch!
Volvo S60 running costs and issues - Bill Payer
16 gallons an hour. Ouch!

I wonder where the crossover point is where the time taken by fuel stops outweighs the advantage gained by the higher speed!!
Volvo S60 running costs and issues - SjB {P}
Well, a Mercedes McLaren SLR will empty its (90 litre?) fuel tank in something like a quarter of an hour at maximum speed, and a Bugatti Veyron will likewise empty its 100 litre tank in twelve and a half minutes.